RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Someone please post a thread with an interesting topic!

Someone please post a thread with an interesting topic!

Someone please post a thread with an interesting topic! There hasn't been an interesting topic in this forum for some time.

The last time I whined about this we got the Lady in FL that was making a good living shooting Iguanas with her pellet guns. She was very good!

Love to see something about actually using these guns for something useful.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master
    Randy...I am devastated.

I have spent decades shooting groups without realizing it was useless...LOL.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    No iguanas here in WNY, so I waste my time uselessly shooting red squirrels, gray squirrels, racoons, starlings, and other assorted critters that are legal to shoot. Google Robin Foxer (in the U.K.) who has a ton of good videos about shooting gray squirrels (an invasive species there), rats, pigeons, rabbits, and assorted vermin in great numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    No iguanas here in WNY, so I waste my time uselessly shooting red squirrels, gray squirrels, racoons, starlings, and other assorted critters that are legal to shoot. Google Robin Foxer (in the U.K.) who has a ton of good videos about shooting gray squirrels (an invasive species there), rats, pigeons, rabbits, and assorted vermin in great numbers.

I'm sure we would all love to hear about your hunting expeditions in the back yard. I have an Idiot Woman Neighbor who calls the Sheriffs every time she hears one of my guns go off. So I can't shoot in my back yard even though there is plenty of activity there. I can't shoot the bunch of ground squirrels perforating my Front Yard because it is right up against the street and there is a steady stream of people walking their dogs. Plus that because of the dogs walking by the Ground Rats are so wary that if they see any movement they are down their holes not to be seen for the rest of the day!

I need to hear from you people that don't live under such restrictive circumstances.

Idaho Ron was a Terror on Rock Chucks? The Iguana Lady was the "Scourge of Miami." There has to be others like them out there?

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 10-24-2022 at 06:43 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Randy...I am devastated.

I have spent decades shooting groups without realizing it was useless...LOL.
    It occupies time? Mike Venturino told me that shooting groups was good for finding a load that worked,,, then you were supposed to go shoot something with it!

I have 4 guns and half a dozen pellets that will do this. Just wish I could get the 12 ga. ones to group like that, but I can't shoot them in the garage where there's no wind..

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100464024.jpg   100464745.JPG  

Boolit Buddy
    I believe posting pics of downed game isn´t allowed on here?

No matter.
    The sole purpose i got into PCP´s was rodent control. In short all of them are indeed tools, tools used a LOT..
    Last but not least, picked a really beautiful Reximex Daystar with the walnut stock up the other day.
    Currently undergoing modifications out the fabled..

On "back yard friendly" btw.
    I make my own moderators right, and BELIEVE these to be legal in most states in the US. I at least know that companies like Donny FL and what not sell them like hotcakes...

Anyways.
    Had a few ideas i´ve been tossing around and see.. this Reximex Daystar is built in such a manner that the proximity between the barrel and the tank rules ANY and all shrouds out.
    That had me worried seeing that i´ll most likely make this end up a 100J gun. Keeping noise at bay is imperative.

So better safe than sorry right so.. i made this thing a whopping 280mm long at a 30mm diameter. I´ve learned that length plays a greater role than diameter with puffs, they do NOT work similar to powder guns on that count IME.
    This is then a 6 chamber job (!! :O ) sporting "de compression holes" surrounding the entire 1st chamber.

Innards are such that i cut up 50mm wide strips of aluminium net and form this around an 8mm shank. Then dress said round pieces with regular Wettex rags and secure with minimal amounts of regular tape.

To keep the thing linear within i first up cut the rearmost bung of the moderator and weld that to the body/tube. THEN set said tube on the lathe, drill and tap 1/2" UNF
    That done i can keep way closer tolerances, and the inner "discs" i turn out of aluminium with a relative tight fit vs the tube and in turn a 7,5mm through hole for 25cal guns.

The "de pressure spike" holes i drill like 15 of them on a 1,5mm diameter. The thing sports dampening material within remember...
    Net result is a PCP so quiet you have to experience it to believe it.

At 100J of muzzle energy the exhaust note simply isn´t there just about. What sounds the most is the hammer spring and actual hammer rushing to hit the valve spindle.
    As far as "kugel schlag", the bullet hitting home.. is another story. But the GUN however.. more silent than a mouse fart.

For those of you that can not fire your PCP´s in your own garden AND where legal to install one.. this is no doubt an option and i´ll be all to happy to share how to using pics and text for those so inclined.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    I'm sure we would all love to hear about your hunting expeditions in the back yard. I have an Idiot Woman Neighbor who calls the Sheriffs every time she hears one of my guns go off. So I can't shoot in my back yard even though there is plenty of activity there. I can't shoot the bunch of ground squirrels perforating my Front Yard because it is right up against the street and there is a steady stream of people walking their dogs. Plus that because of the dogs walking by the Ground Rats are so wary that if they see any movement they are down their holes not to be seen for the rest of the day!

I need to hear from you people that don't live under such restrictive circumstances.

Idaho Ron was a Terror on Rock Chucks? The Iguana Lady was the "Scourge of Miami." There has to be others like them out there?

Randy
    Randy, you need to move!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Mold
    I ve got some extensive testing on the effectiveness of round nose pellets compared to wadcutters cutting down the dandy lions in the back yard ,,,, with pics if needed...

I not foolin either, i mean some of these suckers are over 10 yards....

also i have lived where i had neighbors that could see every thing i did in my backyard before. i would open my kitchen door and never take an air gun out side, shoot form inside house , and i would shoot into soft backed targets to keep noise down from pellets strikes. now , i only have one questionable neighbor , so i keep the exposure to that side of yard to a minimal. What they don't see or hear , won't bother them ..
    Last edited by bryan scott; 10-25-2022 at 01:53 PM.

*** Don't know who Super 6 is but my post got jacked by him.

Randy

If killing animals in your back yard is your ideal of a interesting thread than you need to find another hobby, Just saying. Set some poison out and be done with it. I get the need to shoot stuff but...Dang!

We can't poison anything because our cat would eat the dead carcasses.. Killing our favorite cat would not be a good thing. With shooting you can choose what you shoot.

Other topics might include various inanimate targets such as Neco Wafers, Candy Hearts etc. With Pictures Please! Looking for topics about shooting something as opposed to endless Paper Punching for groups.

Just to give you an idea where I'm coming from.

As related earlier I have 4 Springers. A Weihrauch HW35E w open sights, and HW35EB with Peep Sight, both .177 cal. A HW77 Underlever.22 with a Burris 4X Airgun Scope and a Beeman R1 /HW80 also .22 cal. with a Leupold 1-4X Scope. I like Weihrauch guns a lot!

I have ran all of the different Pellets I have accumulated over the last 40+ years thru all of them, off a rest in my shop to figure out which pellets performed best in each gun. Two brands of pellets rise above all others. H&N and JSB.

The H&N Wadcutter Pellets are the most accurate in the .177's, and JSB Exact Pellets in the .22's. However the smallest to biggest group with any of the 4 guns is no more than .25" at 10 yards.
    Both brands of pellets work very well in all guns so I am Picking at Nits when I start talking about the differences.

With all that said all of these guns have been sussed out for many years, and the HW35EB and HW77 have been sussed out for 30-40 years. I know what works in them and there is no reason to experiment further. Time to shoot something with them !

My Club recently started shooting Airgun Silhouette and I will be participating in that game soon. I do need to practice shooting off hand a bunch before I show up. I will add that here after it happens.

Randy.
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 10-28-2022 at 02:18 PM.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Master
    I thought air rifles were for shooting tin cans??

Quote Originally Posted by super6 View Post
    If killing animals in your back yard is your ideal of a interesting thread than you need to find another hobby, Just saying. Set some poison out and be done with it. I get the need to shoot stuff but...Dang!
    Yep, take out your dog and the neighbor's cat while you're at it.
    Nice

Think I'll stick to my pellet guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    I thought air rifles were for shooting tin cans??
    Some are, like these, and yes, I did make the holster.Attachment 306063

Boolit Buddy
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq6KVVlBf-8

Not your normal tree rat hunt.

Yes that pig he shot was DRT! pretty impressive.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 10-28-2022 at 04:32 PM.

Wish we had wild hogs like those where I live, although the local farmers would tar and feather me for saying it.

Hey, the big lizards would be nice too!

You know what they say about redheads....
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

I don't know how interesting this is, but it's an old lesson relearned mostly with a happy, but somewhat costly outcome...and I kept repeating it! Buy once, cry once!

I hadn't had a pellet gun since the 60's and figured one would fill a void for those times I wanted to shoot, but was too lazy to go to the club. I tried three, yes three lower end break-barrel .22 pellet rifles that included a Crosman with a fancy name, a Hatsen vortek, and finally an RWS 34. Of course of those three, the RWS was by far the most accurate, if a 1'' or a little more group was the goal for happiness. I knew better and knew what I wanted, but in my mind I just couldn't justify the cost of a decent centerfire rifle for a pellet rifle. What it was I wanted was a Weihrauch HW97k with the blue laminant stock.

I watched videos and read reviews on the HW97k and was convinced it was indeed worth the money, but alas I had fumbled around too long to get one with the blue laminate stock...until one Sunday I decided to search for a used one. As luck would have it I found a posting on an airgun site for one, and it was only a day old! Not being a member all that was visable was the area code of the phone number to call. I quickly joined the forum and called the gent. Turned out the gun was for all purposes new, (he was in his 80's and found the gun too difficult to cock after firing only 20-some pellets) and the price was a full $200.00 less than what a new one would cost IF they were still available in blue laminate. We did a pay-pal deal over the phone and I had my dream gun in just two days!

Now off to the Potterfield Plantation for a scope and maybe some better pellets than the wally-world Crosman HP's. The scope I selected was an Athlon Talos 4-14x44 BTR Mil ( after getting assurance from , Dan at Athlon the scope would hold up on a ''springer'') on sale just under $200, AND ol' Lar had H&N Field Target Trophy pellets on sale for less than the wally-world HP's!

Another 4-5 days and the rifle was scoped and ready to sight in! Of course being the cheap-skate I am, I sighted it in with the Crosman HP's. Switched cardboard and shot for group off the bench at 25yds. with the Crosman HP's which rendered a somewhat respectable grouping of under an inch with many touching in a cluster, but with about as many making their own hole just off the cluster. Next I shot some RWS ''Match'' pellets, worse-a lot worse than the Crosman HP's! Okay, let's bust out the H&N FTT. Now this whole grouping thing was done with a blank sheet of cardboard. I would shoot a pellet into the cardboard and use that hole as my aiming point. No real happiness until I switched over to the H&N's. I fired a shot through the cardboard near the middle with the Crosman groups to the left and the RWS clusters to the right. I lost count of how many shots I fired with the H&N's, musta been 20+ until I realized what I was doing was no longer productive. I had a less than 1/2'' hole just above my aiming hole and all my pellets were simply going through that hole and not making a difference in the group. I had finally found euphoria! Happiness even! Yeah, after I wasted probably over $1,000.00 on JUNK pellet rifles and scopes! Anybody wanna buy a Hatsen 95 or an RWS-34? I gave the Crosman to my grandson, he seems happy with it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7Bx8oxzl.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	306103

Name:	MQ0fspml.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	306104
    RWS pellet ''grouping'' to the right, bottom hole on the left is the aiming point for the H&N FTT group. It measures .485'' at it's widest point, and I have no idea how many shots are in it, probably 25+. Aim small, miss small as someone has on their signature line here.
    Last edited by Ithaca Gunner; 10-26-2022 at 03:40 PM.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Boolit Buddy
    just got simple stuff Sheridan Blue Streaks. what a big difference from the 50 BMG
    the 50 works wonders on varmints

-Rock

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    I don't know how interesting this is, but it's an old lesson relearned mostly with a happy, but somewhat costly outcome...and I kept repeating it! Buy once, cry once!

I hadn't had a pellet gun since the 60's and figured one would fill a void for those times I wanted to shoot, but was too lazy to go to the club. I tried three, yes three lower end break-barrel .22 pellet rifles that included a Crosman with a fancy name, a Hatsen vortek, and finally an RWS 34. Of course of those three, the RWS was by far the most accurate, if a 1'' or a little more group was the goal for happiness. I knew better and knew what I wanted, but in my mind I just couldn't justify the cost of a decent centerfire rifle for a pellet rifle. What it was I wanted was a Weihrauch HW97k with the blue laminant stock.

I watched videos and read reviews on the HW97k and was convinced it was indeed worth the money, but alas I had fumbled around too long to get one with the blue laminate stock...until one Sunday I decided to search for a used one. As luck would have it I found a posting on an airgun site for one, and it was only a day old! Not being a member all that was visable was the area code of the phone number to call. I quickly joined the forum and called the gent. Turned out the gun was for all purposes new, (he was in his 80's and found the gun too difficult to cock after firing only 20-some pellets) and the price was a full $200.00 less than what a new one would cost IF they were still available in blue laminate. We did a pay-pal deal over the phone and I had my dream gun in just two days!

Now off to the Potterfield Plantation for a scope and maybe some better pellets than the wally-world Crosman HP's. The scope I selected was an Athlon Talos 4-14x44 BTR Mil ( after getting assurance from , Dan at Athlon the scope would hold up on a ''springer'') on sale just under $200, AND ol' Lar had H&N Field Target Trophy pellets on sale for less than the wally-world HP's!

Another 4-5 days and the rifle was scoped and ready to sight in! Of course being the cheap-skate I am, I sighted it in with the Crosman HP's. Switched cardboard and shot for group off the bench at 25yds. with the Crosman HP's which rendered a somewhat respectable grouping of under an inch with many touching in a cluster, but with about as many making their own hole just off the cluster. Next I shot some RWS ''Match'' pellets, worse-a lot worse than the Crosman HP's! Okay, let's bust out the H&N FTT. Now this whole grouping thing was done with a blank sheet of cardboard. I would shoot a pellet into the cardboard and use that hole as my aiming point. No real happiness until I switched over to the H&N's. I fired a shot through the cardboard near the middle with the Crosman groups to the left and the RWS clusters to the right. I lost count of how many shots I fired with the H&N's, musta been 20+ until I realized what I was doing was no longer productive. I had a less than 1/2'' hole just above my aiming hole and all my pellets were simply going through that hole and not making a difference in the group. I had finally found euphoria! Happiness even! Yeah, after I wasted probably over $1,000.00 on JUNK pellet rifles and scopes! Anybody wanna buy a Hatsen 95 or an RWS-34? I gave the Crosman to my grandson, he seems happy with it.

Name:	7Bx8oxzl.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	306103

Name:	MQ0fspml.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	306104
    RWS pellet ''grouping'' to the right, bottom hole on the left is the aiming point for the H&N FTT group. It measures .485'' at it's widest point, and I have no idea how many shots are in it, probably 25+. Aim small, miss small as someone has on their signature line here.

Ithica Gunner
    -- I so both enjoyed and can relate to your post -- thank you! I "started" my airgun journey with a Smith & Wesson CO2 pistol as my air-handgun and a real el-cheapo Crosman pump carbine as my long air-gun. Nothing exciting to ever report on either, and frankly, most all varmint shots were misses .
    Along goes too many years when a Marauder .22 pistol w/stock caught my eye, and the PCP totally changed my outlook on air firearms. I put a Leupold scope on it, and -- like you -- found the H&H pellets "the cat's meow" for it. Right after I got it all together I was carrying it and spotted a critter at about sixty yards -- no exaggeration -- and took an off-hand shot. It looked (?) like maybe it was hit; and took maybe three or four steps before it flopped down -- quite dead. Since... I know not to be "embarrassed" or "happy to report" -- I've added about a dozen Weihrauch, Beeman, Benjamin, Sig, and Air Arms products.
    Yupper -- you said it right: Buy once, cry once!
    geo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast