RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Advice on simple photo cropping software?

Advice on simple photo cropping software?

I am looking for an easy software to get my pictures ready to be printed. I am not as computer savvy as I should be. Thanks, hc18flyer

Vendor Sponsor

I have been using Photo Filtre for ages. It works on win XP, 7, 8, 10, and runs in Linux with WINE installed. It is small, free, and efficient. There is a version that doesn't need to be installed, you unzip it and run it. You can download it to the desktop, and unzip it to a folder, open the folder and run it.

http://photofiltre.free.fr/download_en.htm

Here is a screenshot of the app opened on my screen, you can see it's pretty simple.

Attachment 306027
    Last edited by DougGuy; 10-24-2022 at 02:19 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    That is available as part of windows. Double click on the picture. When the picture opens click on 'edit image' (the little icon top left). Click on the 'cropping' option (new icon top left). Grab the edges of the picture to crop where you want. Click on 'save a copy'.

Boolit Buddy

"Paint.net" is a free photo editor for Windows. It is easy and user friendly.
    “If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.” - Ronald Reagan

Moderator Emeritus

I use IrfanView.
    It's free to download.
    https://www.irfanview.com/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Microsoft office power point has a fairly simple crop function

Boolit Master
    I second the IrfanView suggestion. It has served me well for years.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by P Flados View Post
    I second the IrfanView suggestion. It has served me well for years.
    I'll third that suggestion. I've found that it's easy to use and allows pretty much everything that you'd need without the complexities of Photoshop.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I use IrfanView.
    It's free to download.
    https://www.irfanview.com/
    Been using it for years, be sure to download the plugins as well.

Long time Irfanview user. Simple interface, not a resource hog. Easy to learn yet very powerful.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master

Have been using Irfanview since November of 2020. No complaints so far.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Thanks, I will study up on Irfanview. I have it downloaded, hc18flyer

Boolit Master

Irfanview has a lot of nice features. In addition to displaying images and cropping, it will resize a group of photos in a batch, it can alter the color balance and brightness, run slide shows and even create an exe file to run a slideshow as a standalone file. I've been using it since 1997.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Vendor Sponsor

I've been reading forum posts about using IrfanView in Linux, a lot of effort and very little payoff, until... One poster figured out that Windows has a registry that applications look for when you open them, and Linux does not use a registry, so he copied the entire IrfanView directory from the C:\Windows\Program Files into his home directory on Linux and VOILA!! IrfanVew runs with all the features!

I will have to give this a try.. I already run WINE, a windows emulator that runs in Linux, I can run QuickLoad and other Windows programs in Wine. The only thing I don't have is a windows machine to copy the installed directory from. Guess I gotta toss up a Win7 install and create it..

The problem with using the Linux apps is they are just too complicated and powerful, steep learning curve with many of them.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.