RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Conditioning paper hulls

Boolit Master

Conditioning paper hulls

I ran some paper Federal hulls through my crimp straightening process yesterday. It consists of putting a homemade flare tool in my drill press, then heating that with my hot air gun, set to 650F. Spin up the flare tool and push on the hull - hold for a count of 3 and you have an "ironed" hull that can be reloaded pretty easily. See pics for graphics of before and after.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hulls1.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	306016Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hulls2.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	306017Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hulls3.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	306018Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hulls4.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	306019Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hulls5.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	306020

My refurbish process is very similar but I find that directly heating the hull as it rotates with the mandrel works better.

With paper hulls all you are doing is reheating the wax in the paper. No need to over heat the wax.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100465015.JPG   100465017.JPG   100465016.JPG  
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    My refurbish process is very similar but I find that directly heating the hull as it rotates with the mandrel works better.

With paper hulls all you are doing is reheating the wax in the paper. No need to over heat the wax.

Randy
    So you are letting the hull rotate with the mandrel, which in turn simply acts as a form?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post

Randy
    I also use this method. Except I have the hull mouth down to get the wax to the mouth. Works well for me.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Grand Master

I usually do not iron out the hulls until the third firing.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

Those look like the new Federal gold medal paper hulls. I've been doing a fair amount of shooting with them this year. I have yet to have a crimp fail on me. Every single one, 100% fails at the base where the tube meets the brass. It depends, but most fail at 4-5 loads. I don't think I've had any make it past 6. I even had some fall in the water duck hunting which I immediately shook off and put in my pocket. That did not shorten their life at all.

I appreciate you taking the time to show this method, but I just don't see what the purpose is if you are loading on a machine. The deprime punch opens the case mouth all that it needs to. I don't have a long history of loading paper hulls, so I've been pleasantly surprised to find that loading paper hulls is no big deal. If anything they are easier, they crimp like a dream. Sure the life is slightly shorter than some plastic cases, maybe half that of an STS, I'm fine with that. They aren't that horribly expensive. They actually seem to be better with blackpowder. I still get 4-5 loads from them, where blackpowder in a plastic hull fails at about half that.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Those look like the new Federal gold medal paper hulls. I've been doing a fair amount of shooting with them this year. I have yet to have a crimp fail on me. Every single one, 100% fails at the base where the tube meets the brass. It depends, but most fail at 4-5 loads. I don't think I've had any make it past 6. I even had some fall in the water duck hunting which I immediately shook off and put in my pocket. That did not shorten their life at all.

I appreciate you taking the time to show this method, but I just don't see what the purpose is if you are loading on a machine. The deprime punch opens the case mouth all that it needs to. I don't have a long history of loading paper hulls, so I've been pleasantly surprised to find that loading paper hulls is no big deal. If anything they are easier, they crimp like a dream. Sure the life is slightly shorter than some plastic cases, maybe half that of an STS, I'm fine with that. They aren't that horribly expensive. They actually seem to be better with blackpowder. I still get 4-5 loads from them, where blackpowder in a plastic hull fails at about half that.
    I spun these so I could get rid of the star crimps and switch over to roll crimp - but I discovered that they worked better for rolling if I trimmed away the bulk of the folds. I am going to load black powder in some of these paper hulls but haven't done so yet.

The main reason I use paper in the field is because I can lose them and not worry about recovery. They degrade pretty quickly, which the farmers like. Plastic hulls seem to last forever - or at least many years.

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    So you are letting the hull rotate with the mandrel, which in turn simply acts as a form?
    Yes and you push the hull onto the mandrel as it turns and heats up. It is good to wear a glove on your hand as the hulls and mandrel do get hot. Once the hull gets close to the chuck you pull it back off and all evidence of a Previous Roll Crimp is gone. It will also remove fold crimps on plastic hulls, but you can see some residual evidence of the previous crimp.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

That's one thing I really like. I try to pick up all my shells but there's no such thing as getting them all. You will always loose some. A paper hull will be gone by spring. I regularly find plastic hulls in farm fields that resurface about 20-30 years old. I don't think I've ever found one over 30 years old, but they don't degrade for a LONG time. With no real drawbacks I've found, I'm loving paper hulls.

Hmmm, nice lookin' red hulls thar. Think I see my thumb print thar?
    Been loading 6.5 CM for ELD, learning to load Mosin Nagant & .308/7.62x51
    Caster & CWW / Lead miner.
    Mountain Mold 45-70-405, 80% Meplat, sized .461" dia. for Marlin 1895GS
    Lyman mold #429421 "Elmer Keith" style 255gr, Dbl Cavity; [for .44 Mag, S&W 629, Alox lubed]
    Lyman #356402, 9mm, Sngl Cavity [for a friend]
    LEE #90282, 12ga Drive Key, 7/8oz Slug [for: Son's 3-Gun]
    LEE #90349, 452-255RF, 6 Cavity [for 45 Colt & 45 ACP; Alox lubed]
    LEE #90697, 453-200RF, ditto

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walstr View Post
    Hmmm, nice lookin' red hulls thar. Think I see my thumb print thar?
    Perhaps…