Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything

Thread: wax from cheese factory?

Boolit Mold

wax from cheese factory?

I have a friend who has half a 55 gallon barrel of wax used in a cheese factory to coat blocks of cheese.
    It was not up to their standards so they where getting rid of it.
    Looks like most food grade waxes are paraffin
    it is red.
    I got 15-20 lb to start
    what would you mix with this?

Boolit Master
    I think before I started that quest, I would do some melt tests to see how it "behaved". A sheet of aluminum on a hot plate and small samples of paraffin, beeswax, and your mystery wax would be a starting point. If it behaves like paraffin, then look at the sticky on bullet lube recipes and pick one out that used that wax as a basis. Likewise, if it behaves like beeswax, then select that as your base material. Keep in mind that most thin strips of beeswax will flex without breaking at normal room temps. Paraffin tends to fracture sooner than beeswax.

Then you will need to review the various recipes to see if that specific lube serves your needs. Seldom will one lube fit all applications between pistol, rifle and black powder.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...s-Lube-recipes

Boolit Master

I have made lube using the Red Wax from cheese. I used to collect it off of cheese we bought, It worked just as well as other lubes I had purchased from commercial sources - I tried a couple of the variety of mixes one can find here on Cast Boolit archived threads. I tend to use Powder Coat these days mostly; so have not made any for several years - and the selection of cheeses with Wax has decreased over the years.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by cdelaney View Post
    I have a friend who has half a 55 gallon barrel of wax used in a cheese factory to coat blocks of cheese.
    It was not up to their standards so they where getting rid of it.
    Looks like most food grade waxes are paraffin
    it is red.
    I got 15-20 lb to start
    what would you mix with this?
    Wax, sold as "Cheese wax" is a blend of microcrystalline wax and paraffin, sometimes they add Mineral oil. Pure paraffin will become brittle.

https://survivalschool.com/product/cheese-wax/

If I had 20 lbs of this stuff, I'd add some Vaseline and Soap to get near the Satan's Lube formula.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I recommend the red wax from a nice smoked gouda. It pairs well with prosciutto and pinot noir.

Boolit Master
    I use it as part of my lube for my rifle.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Wax, sold as "Cheese wax" is a blend of microcrystalline wax and paraffin, sometimes they add Mineral oil. Pure paraffin will become brittle.

If I had 20 lbs of this stuff, I'd add some Vaseline and Soap to get near the Satan's Lube formula.
    Agreed. Cheese wax is still flexible similar to beeswax even when cold.

Cheese wax is a good add. I've used it plenty of times. I used to follow a channel from this Russian family living in Siberia.. He hunted with a 45-70.. He casted his own bullets and pan lubed. He used salvaged red cheese wax pulse grease and some fat oils ..( lard? ) for his lubes... He went pretty heavy on the non wax parts because he had less cheese wax and I guess more fats.. It was plenty cold where he was..so I guess that was ok.. I always saw him wearing a parka..even inside.

But yeah... Cheese wax can be a great add.

You ought to be able to lube a few boolits once you mix it with the other ingredients.
    Half of a 55-gallon drum should last you a while.
    Worst case scenario, you can use it to flux your lead.

Boolit Master

Good point... Especially if it's free.

Boolit Buddy

I use red wax from cheese as a flux when casting. If I didn't use it as flux, it would be in the trash.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    With that amount available, it’s sure worth seeing if it will work. The only concern I would have is if there is plastic mixed into it. Making a simple candle and comparing it’s burning to paraffin and beeswax candles may give an indication of what’s in it. If it burns with a lot more soot, there’s probably plastic added.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post

Will take a look at statan's lube formula

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    With that amount available, it’s sure worth seeing if it will work. The only concern I would have is if there is plastic mixed into it. Making a simple candle and comparing it’s burning to paraffin and beeswax candles may give an indication of what’s in it. If it burns with a lot more soot, there’s probably plastic added.
    can make candle to see if smokes. I assume plastic would be bad for fouling?