WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: First attempt at PC- Success!

First attempt at PC- Success!

I lucked into a working toaster/convection oven at Goodwill on Friday. I already had powder from Smoke, and other supplies. So today the emptied the pot of .45-70 alloy and also did some Lee 340 grainers in 25 to 1. Then I put together a suitable alloy for .45 ACP and cast about 200. I followed Smokes instructions, preheated the oven, used a thermometer and baked for 20 minutes at 400. They are all powdered coated and ready to go. Not perfect, but look pretty darn good. I want to see if I will need to size them? It was easier then I expected. hc18flyer
    Last edited by hc18flyer; 10-23-2022 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Spelling

Boolit Master
    Great. My experience, too.

After the first batch of success...you look back and wonder..."What was the big deal about that?"

Congrats...you've made it through your first rabbit hole!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Congratulations on your first of many batches. I think you will really like the pc bullets once you get started and see the advantages of no sticky lube and ability to run a softer alloy. You did it right by not trying to cheap out get good material for a good job

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    After the first batch of success...you look back and wonder..."What was the big deal about that?"

Congrats...you've made it through your first rabbit hole!
    LOL, I remember not so long ago reading about PCing and asking a gazillion questions worrying about this and that. My first batch more than exceeded my expectations and I then wondered what's the big deal? Of course the answer is all the pioneers of PCing fingered it all out so even an idiot like myself can do it.

Congrats to the OP for your success...
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master
    It is not a success until you put then down a barrel and on target. “Pretty” means nothing.

Hope they work. Report back.
    Don Verna

I just started powder coating the week too. I wish I had done it years ago, it is so easy.
    I got a $9 toaster oven from goodwill, large sour cream tube, two packs of pony beads and Eastwood clear PC.
    Perfect!
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master
    Don’t forget to do the smash test to see if it sticks. Some of mine do good and some not so good.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government..... When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by deces View Post
    I just started powder coating the week too. I wish I had done it years ago, it is so easy.
    I got a $9 toaster oven from goodwill, large sour cream tube, two packs of pony beads and Eastwood clear PC.
    Perfect!
    I didn't use airsoft bb's, seemed to work 'ok? Never thought of pony beads. hc18flyer

I can swirl the tub about 6 times and everything is heavily coated like snow. I just pick the boolits out with tweezers and repeat.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master
    A couple of years ago the Walmarts in this part of California stopped selling anything firearms related, including Airsoft BB's. I tried using pony beads instead, but they didn't create nearly as much static electricity as the plastic Airsoft BB's did. I ended up getting a can of black Airsoft beads from online. (the information I've seen says that the black ones work best). Just an FYI, the pony beads might work OK, but the Airsoft stuff is a lot better.

Any idea what plastic those BBs are? I read about them once or twice, here a while back.

Boolit Buddy
    Pictures, dude we need pictures...

Tony
    Hi, my name is Tony and I'm addicted to gunpowder.

AKA Geezerbiker

Well done! I prefer to size all my bullets after PC so they are uniform for reloading in mixed brass.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221108_202354.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	306645
    I had some leftover alloy from hunting loads, emptied the pot on some MiHec 358640. Left over powder too. Going to shoot well out of my S&W Mo. # 15. Now to get my hunting loads done for deer season! hc18flyer

One of my first attempts. Lyman 452460 for my brothers GI 1911, in OD green of course!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221108_205124.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	306646

Already becoming a pro at this rock on.