Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cast bullet buck

Boolit Master
    Congratulations! Like the others, I'm surprised that bullet stopped in a deer. Must have been quartering away at a pretty steep angle and must have hit the offside shoulder bone? I use the Lee 310 44 caliber with a sabot in my 50 cal muzzle loader and have used 50/50 CoWW/Pure lead with 1% tin added. I was intending to melt those down for something else though to make some from nearly pure lead to get more expansion. But after looking at how your bullet expanded when cast from a much harder alloy I'm not sure I need to change anything.

Congratulations! I shot a doe on Friday with my cva muzzleloader. I was using a powdercoated bullet from an mp ruger only mold. It was a .452” 315 grain cup point in a sabot. I estimate the velocity around 1600 fps. I got an exit and never recovered the bullet even though it went through the far shoulder. The entrance hole was tight around my pinky, and the exit hole would easily fit my thumb in. I was using 2 white hot pellets. It took a chunk of the heart and both lungs. It went about 20 yards. My alloy was 50/50 +2% tin.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Congratulations! I’m sure you feel good.

Great job , I got myself a 6 point with cast for the early muzzle loader. I got 73 lbs of meat and 4 1/4lbs of heart and liver .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

Good deal all around.

Banner Sponsor

Great job, all I saw during muzzleloader season was a too small buck, antler restricted area, and a doe with a very small fawn, so I let her go on her merry way. I was tempted to shoot a rabbit though...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RugerFan View Post
    Took this buck last week with my T/C Encore with Bergara .50 cal ML barrel. Deer was about 40 yards quartering away. He staggered 30 yds and dropped. Load was 100 gns of Blackhorn 209 and a Lee 452-300 cast in Lyman #2. The bullet was found under the hide in front of the opposite shoulder.

This is the first time I have ever found a cast bullet in a deer. I have gotten a couple out of big hogs, but they usually zip straight through deer. I did get some expansion and the bullet lost a little weight. These drop at 295 gns out of my mold and the recovered bullet weight 247 gns.

i've done that a couple of times and i admit it makes one feel great about that type of accomplishment, doesn't it?

Boolit Master
    Great job, thanks for sharing with us.

Great job! Was the projectile cast with pure soft lead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12