RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Cast Boolet for a 1:10" .223?

Boolit Buddy

Cast Boolet for a 1:10" .223?

I have two .223's with 1:10" twists, a Ruger 77 MKII and a Browning lo wall. THe Ruger isn't real accurate but the Low Wall is damn accurate. But I've never shot them with cast boolets, cause I don't have a mold and can't find off the shelf cast for .22s.

What boolets will shoot well in 1:10 twists? I like cheap Lee molds cause I'm broke.

You could try the Lee 55gr bullet. I personally use the Arsenal 61gr Elvis mold. PC and size to .225”
    Loaded with 13gr of SR4759 for 2180fps. Accurate enough to bust clay pigeons offhand out to 70 yards or so.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I have the 225-62 NOE it shoots well in a 1-12" 222 Savage 340 with jacketed speeds and about 600 fps slower in assorted 1-8" 223s .
    I've loaded it down to 1000 fps in a Stevens 200 and up to 2640 fps in the 222 above .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Krag, I shoot Lee's C225-55gr RF through my AR in 5.56 and my Rem 600 in .222 and they are accurate. I PC them for my AR, and mostly use PC for the .222 now. AR is 1-8 .222 is 1-14.
    Would you care for some PC'd and GC'd, to try? If so, message me.
    if it doesn't fit, don't force it. Get a BIGGER HAMMER!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sledgehammer001 View Post
    Krag, I shoot Lee's C225-55gr RF through my AR in 5.56 and my Rem 600 in .222 and they are accurate. I PC them for my AR, and mostly use PC for the .222 now. AR is 1-8 .222 is 1-14.
    Would you care for some PC'd and GC'd, to try? If so, message me.
    Sent you a PM.

I'd say the Lee 225-55RF is as good a mould as any to start with.

Not saying this as fact but just observation from a whole BUNCH of very accurate cast, varmint rigs. The smaller the caliber,the bigger the changes* when trying different moulds,and/or bullet treatments(nose sizing,bumping,etc).

Just sayin if you're looking for consistent X ring bugholes,in the smaller sizes say <7mm,be prepared to test several moulds. My RCBS 55,actually drops 60g compared to the lighter 55g Lee. At first look these two moulds are pretty durn close.... but they are usually night and day different on how they work. Highlighting these two moulds as an example,happens a lot. The larger bores just aren't as picky in my experience. Seems like 7mm is the fulcrum,or tipping point. The 222/223 chamberings are nice but I prefer the larger 22-250.... can get these dialed in a little bit easier than the smaller cases. Good luck with your project.

*changes; for the most part this is accuracy... you have to hit the target before any discussion of terminal results.