WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Is .44 mag "difficult" to load down for?

Boolit Master
    Interesting Conversation on Priming... I use whatever is Handy... but, remember...I learned reloading with an Original, Lee Loader... primed with a Mallet as well as Sizing and all the other operations.. So... There is yet another Priming Method..
    Truly, I sometimes think that everyone should Start with the original Lee Loader... you get a real education on what the operations are...
    You also learn that Just because the "Rock Chucker" has a Cult following... it aint a Necessity!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Interesting Conversation on Priming... I use whatever is Handy... but, remember...I learned reloading with an Original, Lee Loader... primed with a Mallet as well as Sizing and all the other operations.. So... There is yet another Priming Method..
    Truly, I sometimes think that everyone should Start with the original Lee Loader... you get a real education on what the operations are...
    You also learn that Just because the "Rock Chucker" has a Cult following... it aint a Necessity!!!
    May not be a necessity, but I was just thinking about what I'd written about working up a load .2 or .3 grains at a time; that's where a single stage does in my opinion come close to a necessity. I started with a Lee whack a mole in the 60's. Upon reflection I am fortunate it did not run me off from reloading.
    Last edited by JoeJames; 10-29-2022 at 11:37 AM.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Buddy
    OP, the .44 mag is a perfect cartridge to start reloading with. Get a Lyman cast manual, available on line for free, though older edition. Still valid though. Lots of powders work well for Midrange loads. .44/40 loads work well in Mag brass. COL is what works feeding in your rifle. As long as you aren't pushing the firewall, not much can go wrong if you follow the Lyman recipes.

I've been using an RCBS Jr. press I bought in 1966 when I got out of the Army and started reloading. It has done me good service and is still loading after Lord knows how may rounds. Your Rockchucker will work for you grand Kid's grand Kids. Make sure to get a carbide sizing die, if it didn't come in your set of dies. They make life easier.

Boolit Buddy
    I wish this site had a like button. Many good suggestions here. Reduced cast bullet loads in the 44Mag. take many forms. The 240 gr. I cast myself can be shot slower & just as accurately. The Harder Commercial bought cast bullets need a bit more powder to obturate & shoot well. that said I use Unique powder 6.8 to about 7.5 grains under that 240 grain bullet. I do 500 lot batches at a time on my single stage 1976 RCBS Jr. press. I hope that helps you. mike in ct

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678