Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Uberti 1861 Tight Fit Part II

Boolit Mold

Uberti 1861 Tight Fit Part II

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses to my other question about my Uberti 1861. Last night I tried to change out the nipples to Slix Shot nipples and was only able the get 5/6 out. The last one is in there so tight it stripped my nipple wrench.

Any tricks for getting those out?

K

Boolit Grand Master

Wow, Sorry to hear that the nipples are stuck. Only thing that I can think of is to heat it up slightly and soak it with Kroil.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Try a broken screw extractor. Hole’s already drilled

Boolit Master
    I had a revolver come to me with two stuck nipples.
    I soaked the cylinder overnight in oil like Kroil.
    Then made a new nipple wrench out of an old 1/4" drive socket.
    The wrench worked out great , and the added length of the 1/4" ratchet made unscrewing them easier.

Well, LAGS, you truly have invented a better nipple twister...

Boolit Master
    I did not Invent that tool.
    I have seen tons of pictures or posts about guys using Modified sockets for nipple wrenches.

Boolit Master
    I had a similar jam up and half stripped the shoulder on the nipple(S - two of em)
    Made a new long shank nipple wrench from a grade 8 HT bolt, hand fitted that thing as neat as I could get to the nipples concerned
    one of the smiths that posts hereabouts had described how to hold the cylinder - you get a piece of 4x1 and mount two wood dowells in it that fit chambers opposite each other across the cylinder - now set that up on a drill press table with the cylinder face down over the dowells - mount the nipple wrench in the drill chuck and engage it carefully over the stuck nipple - use the leverage of the drill feed to lean down hard on the nipple wrench while your other hand turns the chuck backwards using a long pin in one of the keyholes in the chuck - mine gave an audible crack when they gave up but they came away clean ----this is after all else has failed - you have tried penetrating oil, mostly boogered the shoulders on the stuck nipples, wrecked a couple of otherwise good nipple wrenches ..........................

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for all of the replies ! I finally got the nipple off albeit the shoulders were pretty chewed up. I found this You Tuber called Old Ranger and his videos on the topic really helped:

https://youtu.be/AsSt2hF_kt8

https://youtu.be/2uwd9xrTaP8

Plus 1 on what Lags said. I had one stuck in an 1851 Pietta. I broke a screw extractor in the nipple trying to remove it. A friend made a nipple wrench out of an old socket but had to use and impact driver drill to break it lose. He placed it on a board and put his weight to it. And yes, it was soaked in WD40 over night with no result prior to this.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    A little anti-seize on the nipple threads, or flash-hole liner on flintlocks, after cleaning will make them easy to remove in the future.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.