WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee App press

Boolit Buddy

Lee App press

Im looking at the Lee APP and have a few questions.

Can I size and flare the mouths on pistol cases with this press or only deprime?

Can I use my Old style Lee push through sizers on it?

What all is needed if both the above are possible.

I cant seem to get to the email portion for my questions on Lee's website.

Boolit Buddy
    Well after 47 minutes on hold, I got my answer to the first question. Not for sizing brass. I'm out.

Boolit Grand Master

What? No, you got bad info.

The Lee APP is a small single stage press with a case feeder, and the real kicker is it is threaded both top and bottom. You can do anything with them that a single stage can be used for. It is a smaller press, so I wouldn't expect to be full length sizing too many 308 cases before getting tired. It sizes pistol cases like greased lightning.

Yes, you can flare case mouths
    Yes, you can size brass
    Yes you can use the old style Lee sizing dies, as well as the NOE dies, and of course the Lee breechlock dies.

You don't really need anything that doesn't come with the press other than the correct shell holder. You can use standard shell holders in the APP no problem, but to use the case feeder you need their X-press shell holders. If you want to size bullets, you use a breechlock bushing in the bottom (one comes with the press), then thread in your old style Lee sizing die. You then use your shell holder/bottle adaptor on top, but use it with your sizer push rod.

Boolit Master
    It does depend on what you want a press to do.

The APP is a single stage press that I would call a light duty press. Look at the Lee web page for the APP and watch the video of sizing .223 and how much pressure is being applied at the handle. It would work for pistols but is this what you want?

If reloading shorter cartridges, like pistol, .223 or 7.62x39, I'd go for the Breech Lock Pro. I had one until I went up to .308. It would load .308, but, only for shorter OAL loads, and not easily. For the shorter stuff it works really well.

To me, the APP is a specialty press. Great for push through bullet sizing, case depriming/resizing/flaring etc. It can do the bullet seating, but about the same speed as other presses. If I already had another reloading press then I'd get an APP to do some of those 'other' duties.

Boolit Mold
    You can do almost anything on the APP that can be done on a conventional single stage press, it’s just geared more for light duty actions.

Case sizing is where you are stretching the limits of the flimsy parts it’s made out of. Case lube would be wise here.

You should be able to use the push through sizer too, if you have the shell plate holder specifically for push through sizing.just use the top die holder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's worth its cost in depriming and boolit sizing with PC alone

I'm not sure what else it really excels at though

Boolit Master
    Boy I wish I had a dollar for every time I’ve posted about the accolades of the Lee app press ( I could buy another APP lol). As others have stated basically it’s a single stage press. But that’s not really what it’s designed for. APP means automated processing press! I have processed thousands pieces of brass! Probably in the neighborhood of about 30,000. Considering I do about 4000 pieces of 9 mm brass at a time. That’s not including 45’s,380’s, 38 special, 357 mag and 5.56! And then there’s sizing Cast Boolets, and yes you can use either style sizing dies, the old, the new, and NOE dies! I will admit I have had some issues with sizing 223 and typically don’t size my brass on. That was my fault, not the press! You can also bulge bust, remove military crimps and probably some other things I can’t think of. I think it’s a wonderful press well worth the money if used as it was intended to be used. It’s a no way comparable to something like a Dillon 1050! But then you could probably buy 10 Lee app presses with all of the accessories for the price of one Dillon 1050. If you want it to do the work of a more expensive press, than no don’t buy it. It’s perfect for my needs! Hope this helps.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Grand Master

Oh yes, I forgot about the primer pocket crimps. You really want the Lee pocket resizer with the APP as it auto ejects the case. There's no better tool on the market for the job. Military 5.56 or 7.62 brass is now a breeze. Too bad you can't buy it for $50 a thousand like you could 6-8 years ago though.

Boolit Buddy
    I asked specifically about 45 acp and 10mm. Was told if wouldnt be good for sizing and belling. Some tech at Lee precision

On water northern Mn . 1903.colt's Avatar
    Lee APP, decapping, sizing, bulge buster, Swage, crimp - no reason this would
    not bell

Boolit Buddy
    I have reloaded for nearly 40 years and 99.9% of my metalic loading is on a single stage press. Was just looking to speed up the process some...without going progressive.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Elpatoloco View Post
    I asked specifically about 45 acp and 10mm. Was told if wouldnt be good for sizing and belling. Some tech at Lee precision
    Well they didn't know what they were talking about. You can size both 10mm auto and 45 auto all day long on an APP. Same with flaring/belling. The APP is perfect for these jobs.

I have found the sizing 9mm case end up stripping the rims, when using xpress shellholders. I have a shellholder blister and it says that it's not to be used for sizing. I know Lee's 9mm shellholder also is used for another larger case and this is the reason. I'm sure other cases are sized perfectly fine on the APP, but I just haven't tried it yet.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

I de prime and size 380, 40, 45acp, 38, 357, 44 and 45 colt regularly, quite fast also.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by deces View Post
    I have found the sizing 9mm case end up stripping the rims, when using xpress shellholders. I have a shellholder blister and it says that it's not to be used for sizing. I know Lee's 9mm shellholder also is used for another larger case and this is the reason. I'm sure other cases are sized perfectly fine on the APP, but I just haven't tried it yet.
    9mm might be one of those that varies in size enough that it might matter. 10mm auto and 45 acp are not those, they size on an APP perfectly.

Boolit Buddy
    I appreciate the replies. I ordered the press today.

Quote Originally Posted by Elpatoloco View Post
    I appreciate the replies. I ordered the press today.
    You might want to get the roller handle upgrade.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deces View Post
    Exactly! If you read the fine print it’s not recommended to use the xshell holders!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Buddy
    I spent 10 minues setting the press up. 45 acp cases flow through like greased lightning. I do no have any dies installed. I can see where the "flow through" shell holders have less purchase on the brass rim. All my dies are carbide. Should I lube anyway?
    Thanks for the replies.

Boolit Master

I don't have an App, but I do like to lube while using carbide dies. I just lube less often. Depending on the work being done, and what kind of lube, it's usually every 4th, 5th, or 6th shell that gets lubed. Keeps the sizing effort down.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast