RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Bolt separation on Win md 75 rf..

Boolit Buddy

Bolt separation on Win md 75 rf..

Last move produced my old Winchester model 75 target with separated bolt handle.Could anyone suggest a gunsmith who might fix it? Would appreciate any advice…

Warmest personal regards,

Ray

Boolit Master
    If that bolt handle slips into the Sleeve.
    I can't see why you couldn't solder it back in place.
    Heck.
    That part doesn't take that much pressure.
    So you might try using Epoxy to secure it.
    Last edited by LAGS; 10-21-2022 at 12:20 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

J. B. Weld!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy

Thank y’all fellers, I had a notion to try the J-B weld one epoxy but I want to hear some opinions first..plan to pass it on to two granddaughters…. No grandsons yet…I plan to strap it down to test first before making gift. The oldest is just going into preschool. So I have plenty time to repair and test..

Ray

Boolit Master
    You are welcome.
    I am glad we could help you.
    I am in favor of teaching guys how to do things themselves, rather than spending a lot to pay someone else to do a simple repair.
    And not to mention the cost if you had to ship off the part to be repaired.

Boolit Grand Master

On the 69A and 75 bolt the recoil lug is part of the cocking sleeve. The bolt handle is inserted into that. On the two I own I can't see any signs of solder or threads so it appears the bolt handle is pressed into the cocking sleeve. If that is the case a product like Loctite 680 may be a better option since it doesn't get wiped off like epoxies tend to have problems with. If you have some clearance either one will work. How does it a appear to be held in originally? If posting picks would not be too much trouble it would be greatly appreciated.

They do have them in stock here https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/253300B

If it's more complicated than that I can help you out after hunting season is over.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-21-2022 at 01:26 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    The bolt handle is indeed threaded into the sleeve.
    BE VERY careful as there are left hand and right hand threaded units.
    Winchester changed it at one point to help prevent the handle from twisting loose.

Outback Gun Parts bought the tooling from Wisners' a number of year ago, and is now making reproduction sleeves/handles

Boolit Buddy
    The bolt handle is threaded into the sleeve and staked in place. They often come loose especially on the later ones with the swept back bolt handle. I had a spot of TIG weld put on one that was loose and it has been OK ever since.

Boolit Master
    The handle on my 69A was loose. It would turn a little on the threads but the old staking kept it from unscrewing. I took a small cold chisel and ground it to the same profile as Winchester had used. (a bit different angle and rounded on the end, not a cutting edge) Then found something to clamp in a vise that would back up the bolt sleeve. Put the tool in the old staking, then a few hits with a good size hammer and it was tight again. Advantage is that it doesn't show anything was done to it.

Boolit Buddy

I find myself not only among gentlemen and scholars, but also very good friends. Have been a little under the weather for last couple of week, but plan to resolve Model 75 bolt problem. Since I had planned to give this on to granddaughter, I will just replace broken part… I have already given other granddaughter a fine old Remington Model 34 NRA bolt gun.

Thank you everyone for your advice. I know who my friends are….

Warmest personal regards,

Ray