Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Load Data

Thread: Bone and horn grip makers

Boolit Buddy

Bone and horn grip makers

I’ve made numerous wooden grips for my revolvers and knives.

I want to make a few rams horn grips but can’t seem to find anyone that sells wide enough blanks to make gun grips. Everyone seems to only have 1 1/2x5”

Anyone know where to get something wider?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I found Elk horns at the local pet supply shop.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Luber View Post
    I found Elk horns at the local pet supply shop.
    As in- dog food? Interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vendor Sponsor

They sell large elk butt ends in pet stores and online for dog chews. Plenty big enough to make revolver grips.

https://shop.dailycoyote.net/product...ntler-chew-toy

The bark on Elk antlers is rather thin, you have to really know how to cut them so you make the most of the bark.

You can google for revolver grip panels and usually find places that sell blanks that you can see the photos and the dimensions, I have had no trouble finding raw blanks when I looked for them.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 10-20-2022 at 06:57 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

You might try this:

Moscow Hide and Fur
    Located in Moscow, Idaho, USA American Flag

208-882-0601

https://www.hideandfur.com/inventory/Antlers.html

Currently, they are not showing any ram or goat horns but might have something you might like instead.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    Personally, I like smooth elk stocks on my revolvers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FF63A7B5-419E-4354-9DB8-B1C63CA86366.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	306919

Name:	AD6BBF64-9F38-47E0-A6E7-3E8980878562.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	306920

Or caribou,

Name:	957020AF-9752-473C-845F-9FACC16109EA.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	306921

Which is not to say some bark is not acceptable.

Name:	A2F65F03-09AC-415F-9B4B-815047444776.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	306923

If you are carving your own, try to find shed antlers before the mice and other rodents get to them. That will be your best source.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Grand Master
    The biggest problem with elk antlers has been mentioned... the solid part (which includes the bark) is much thinner than the more desirable species, and it seems like you always end up with a bunch of the "pith" (open vascularized area) showing. I've just recently discovered caribou, and of course ram's horn forms in a different way, so both of these make better looking grips, IMHO. Of course Sambar Stag and Ivory (from various animals) are the nicest and everything else is a step down. Your opinions may vary, but if you look at the actual finished grips, I think you'll agree. Mr Hat, what kind of beast produced the antlers on that bottom revolver with all the bark? In the picture at least the contrast between dark and light is striking.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    …Mr Hat, what kind of beast produced the antlers on that bottom revolver with all the bark? In the picture at least the contrast between dark and light is striking…

Froggie
    Froggie,

Just call me Kevin. I am making good money now so most of my hats are palm or felt, no longer straw.

Regarding those stocks, I have no idea. My brother found them among Pop’s stuff and passed them on to me. If a photo of the back would help you ID them, let me know.

Kevin

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks Kevin. I would indeed like to see the backs of those grips if it wouldn’t be too much trouble. Also, when I saw those caribou grip panels on the S&W Forum I was immediately impressed. Is that material hard to come by, or should we be able to find it?

Charlie the Frog
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    …Thanks Kevin. I would indeed like to see the backs of those grips if it wouldn’t be too much trouble…
    I will post an image over the weekend.

…Also, when I saw those caribou grip panels on the S&W Forum I was immediately impressed. Is that material hard to come by, or should we be able to find it?…
    Probably not easy to find in Central Virginia but abundant in the Arctic Circle. I have no idea.

Kevin

Boolit Master
    Thanks Kevin. I would indeed like to see the backs of those grips if it wouldn’t be too much trouble. Also, when I saw those caribou grip panels on the S&W Forum I was immediately impressed. Is that material hard to come by, or should we be able to find it?

Charlie the Frog
    Charlie, or is it Froggie?,

The back of the stocks as you requested.

Name:	C9BA518B-9ECB-4A05-94FA-C7B98D8C268A.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	307036

And a shot of the front showing both faces.

Name:	083A4162-DE28-457C-852C-7297021A3E4B.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	125.3 KB 
ID:	307037

Kevin

Boolit Master
    Not AT ALL the same appeal as animal horn (which I generally find GORGEOUS), but I always wanted to try to make some pistol stocks out of Bois D'arc (Osage Orange) wood. Unfortunately, while such trees are common in my environs, one almost never sees DEAD wood from them. Cutting a bit and letting it cure would likely work, but the project MIGHT outlive me!
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

I have Scottish Blackface Sheep they are horned sheep. I keep the horns when I butcher. Would one like this work?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20221119_150029.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggybull View Post
    I have Scottish Blackface Sheep they are horned sheep. I keep the horns when I butcher. Would one like this work?

It all depends on size. They need to be wide enough to cover the frame and thick enough to fashion at least one panel. What works for a J frame might not work for an N frame.

Kevin

Boolit Master
    Froggie the grips look like Red Stag or last of the Sambar Stag.

Boolit Master
    Okay, today I gathered the clan for an updated photo image.

Here is what we have.

Name:	23C1B468-8C21-4EB9-B82B-E6B1F771C33D.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	307480

I have several pairs that have not yet found a home.

Kevin

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    Not AT ALL the same appeal as animal horn (which I generally find GORGEOUS), but I always wanted to try to make some pistol stocks out of Bois D'arc (Osage Orange) wood. Unfortunately, while such trees are common in my environs, one almost never sees DEAD wood from them. Cutting a bit and letting it cure would likely work, but the project MIGHT outlive me!
    For seasoned Osage Orange (Hedgeapple) go grab some old wooden fenceposts (by old I mean 1800's vintage to early 1900's). In Kansas at least the wooden fenceposts were typically made from Hedgeapple.

Boolit Buddy
    The biggest problem with elk antlers has been mentioned... the solid part (which includes the bark) is much thinner than the more desirable species, and it seems like you always end up with a bunch of the "pith" (open vascularized area) showing. I've just recently discovered caribou, and of course ram's horn forms in a different way, so both of these make better looking grips, IMHO. Of course Sambar Stag and Ivory (from various animals) are the nicest and everything else is a step down. Your opinions may vary, but if you look at the actual finished grips, I think you'll agree. Mr Hat, what kind of beast produced the antlers on that bottom revolver with all the bark? In the picture at least the contrast between dark and light is striking.

Froggie
    Would it be feasible to take a porous/thin section of elk and fill the backside with some poly casting resin? You could then shape it to your heart's desire and still have a strong grip.

The best thing to fill the back of horn is super thin supper glue. Use tape to make a dam around the antler. There are different grades of glue, and the thinnest soaks all the way into the voids. Give it time to soak in and use an accelerator to speed cure, or just let it cure on its own, then do again. This will take many coats. If you do a thick coat, the super glue will get very hot and can do strange things to the material being glued. What is the size of material you need? 2 x 5 or bigger? Epoxy will not soak in before it cures. I have some caribou, and moose, but it is now under much snow and ice. I do have a box inside a conex that could be checked. I bought, sold and cut up many Alaskan animal parts, fresh and ancient in my youth. The correct cut from caribou is very solid, but no real texture or pattern to it. Poor mans ivory.

Boolit Master
    I share a love for Osage. I have not yet done any revolver grips, but I've made longbows, and it is a gorgeous wood, plus, as it ages, it develops even more character!
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience