Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load Data

Thread: Uberti 1861 Tight Fit

Boolit Mold

Uberti 1861 Tight Fit

Hi all,

I just picked up one of the Uberti/Taylor’s 1861’s. It’s a nice gun but the pins at the bottom of the frame are super tight when trying to put the gun back together.

Do you all have a fix? Should I sand down the pins or make the holes bigger?

Thanks!

K

Hello, Karasu-- welcome to the Castboolits Forum!

I wouldn't want to give you any poor advice that would mess up your nice Uberti. You have to consider the fact that they got the pins into the holes at the factory, so it can be done. I'd examine the pins and holes very carefully with a magnifying glass. Often pins are slightly tapered with the intent being that the smallest end goes in first. Also, sometimes you'll find them rounded on one end and not the other, with the rounded end intended to go in first. Traditionally, most pins go in from left to right, and sometimes it's almost impossible to insert them from the right to left. I'd not do any pin diameter reduction or hole enlargement until I'd carefully examined the pins and holes. Putting the pins in and out a couple of times will loosen them up.

DG

I am not familiar with the gun, but I sure wouldn't make the holes bigger.
    If the pins came out, they should go back in.
    Out of curiosity why did you tear it apart?

Boolit Mold
    The various Colt BP revolvers require it for cleaning. There’s a wedge pin that holds the barrel on but normally that’s all that’s needed to break it down.

K

What pins at the bottom? Do you mean the two pins that align the frame to the barrel? Check the female end for fouling and or gunk by twisting a pipe cleaner in the holes

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
    What pins at the bottom? Do you mean the two pins that align the frame to the barrel? Check the female end for fouling and or gunk by twisting a pipe cleaner in the holes
    Yes that’s exactly it. Ok I could try that.

Boolit Buddy
    If it's a new gun don't do anything with the pins. With time and use they will loosen up a bit. If necessary use a brass or urethane faced hammer to get the barrel back flush on the frame. Kind of like most new guns they will need a bit of break-in.

Boolit Mold
    Cool - that’s what I did. I used a rubber mallet to get it back together. I just wasn’t sure if I had a problem on my hands.

Boolit Grand Master
    On a Colt type C&B revolver I would rather have it go together tight than have a loose fit. Getting the barrel off a tight fit isn't a problem, unless you have one of the tiny 1849's with no rammer.

Robert

Boolit Mold
    Thanks guys! I was actually getting ready to take a Dremel to it, so I’m glad I asked.

Boolit Buddy
    It will loosen up, it's gonna happen with the short arbor on the Uberti. You want a solid 3 point connection on the open tops, the arbor bedding properly and the 2 pins seated at the bottom. The arbor is by far the most important contact point. Uberti has never admitted they have a problem with the short arbor. If you want more details feel free to PM me.