MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Vaquero .45 In-Bound

New Vaquero .45 In-Bound

Happened across a New Vaquero at a swell price…now I don’t typically like to do so, but I went ahead and snatched some money out of my savings that I’ll pay back in a couple weeks…

I watched a real nice looking case hardened vaquero go for $750 cash on GB and kicked the dirt.

Then I stumbled across this -

$600 for a really good condition New Vaquero in .45? I felt like I “had” to…

In any event, I have been in good communication with it’s owner in Ohio. We came to an agreement and had an enjoyable phone conversation. He likes to talk to the person he is dealing with, as do I, truly! Seems like a nice gentleman.

Sometimes I’m in the right spot at the right time. Hardly often. But this time it lined up!

Came across these guys a while ago and wanted to give them a shot…

https://www.boonetrading.com/collect...y-pistol-grips

I also ordered some leather for the new Six Shooter, what good is a gun you can’t carry with you? Unfortunately the belt I ordered didn’t exactly match what was online. And my
    Holster therefor needed some touching up…

It was a nice saddle brown, yet the belt came dark and more of a burgundy. That’s nothing a little shoe polish can’t set straight …

There, that will serve our purpose a little better…here’s what it looks like so far :

Don’t be scared of the spooky “ghost gun” it will soon take shape. The head gear is an Akubra Kinadra hat. Believe it’s a rabbit felt. Great hat, performs splendidly in all weather.

After a lot of waiting on the shop in Ohio, it looks like they finally got it in the mail. Should be my way Thursday evening, hopefully the latest it’s in my grubby paws will be Friday afternoon after work.

I’ll be sure to post so glamor shots when it comes in…in the mean time, enjoy some old pictures I have of a .357 Smoke Wagon Deluxe :

Sure excited!
    - Brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Brentona; 10-22-2022 at 10:34 AM.

As well you should be, Brent. That's a beautiful revolver!

Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    As well you should be, Brent. That's a beautiful revolver!
    Thanks brother! She’ll get a night’s rest then it’s up early to the hunt club and after, a little chootin’

Boolit Master

Happy for ya!

I have a New Vaquero stainless 4 5/8" in 45 Colt.

One thing you need to check is the cylinder throats. I have had 4 Ruger .45 Colt revolvers over the years, and every single one of them had tight chamber throats that didn't do well with cast boolits. I had them opened .4525". My New Vaquero is now at .4525" and it shoots great!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master

Very nice piece. Enjoy.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master
    I had a New Vaquero stainless a
    45 Colt and made the mistake of coming on here and posting a load I used in mine recommended to me by John Linebaugh and the Load Data Police (LDP) got all over me.
    Liked the one I had but found something I liked more so down the road it went.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 10-18-2022 at 06:45 PM.

Boolit Master

Just like to add that the .45 Colt with a cast 250 SWC @ about 900 fps. will drive right through a whitetail's shoulders and out the other side!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Very nice, congrats!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    Happy for ya!

I have a New Vaquero stainless 4 5/8" in 45 Colt.

One thing you need to check is the cylinder throats. I have had 4 Ruger .45 Colt revolvers over the years, and every single one of them had tight chamber throats that didn't do well with cast boolits. I had them opened .4525". My New Vaquero is now at .4525" and it shoots great!
    This for sure. I had one of the NV's in 45 Colt and it wouldn't shoot cast worth a flip until I had the cylinder throats reamed and lapped the tight spot out of the barrel where it screwed into the frame.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Vendor Sponsor

My eyes tell me this is a large frame Vaquero (2 digit prefix). If so you would be good to go with the 30kpsi Ruger Only load data..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    My eyes tell me this is a large frame Vaquero (2 digit prefix). If so you would be good to go with the 30kpsi Ruger Only load data..
    Definitely a New Vaquero(zoomed in on photo), but still good for 20-22K psi loads.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    Definitely a New Vaquero(zoomed in on photo), but still good for 20-22K psi loads.

35W
    Aha! I stand corrected! NV = 23kpsi same as 45ACP+P.

I thought all of the medium frame guns had the lawyer warning on the bottom of the barrel. Blue/CC guns were early production so I wonder when it was moved?
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    The lawyer warning was moved several years ago on all models due to the addition of an offering of engraving by the engraving studio. Nobody wanted to try & have an engraved gun with the work AROUND the warning. So, Baron Technologies had Ruger move the warning, and as such, it was a permanent change. While Ruger no longer has the engraving options, it did allow us the cleaner looking firearms we so enjoy. And that ugly warning is not as easily seen.

The .45 Colt is a fine caliber, and Kudos to getting you a nice one!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Anybody know if the hammer for the original Vaquero will work in the new Vaquero? I really don't like the design of the new hammer.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Anybody know if the hammer for the original Vaquero will work in the new Vaquero? I really don't like the design of the new hammer.
    They will interchange without issue afaik.. So will a SBH hammer. The Montado model? Vaquero with Sheriff barrel length and SBH hammer.

I actually like the taller spur of the newer Vaquero hammer and kept it on mine. It's higher, but much more artistic.

Well, Hell.

ATF is really putting a heaving strain on FFL’s down here. What typically is a cash and carry scenario is a 1 Day jail sentence.

Here is a teaser for tomorrow’s promo -

Also it is not a free spin gun to answer an above question!

Well the whole gang is here, now! Turns out my ole Boker Arbolito sheath matches everything nicely…that’s a damn hard working blade, I’ll tell you!

Boolit Master
    Nice!

Vendor Sponsor

What grips are on it?

What grips are on it?
    Posted up thread. There’s a link in the OP I believe. They’re from Boone Trading Company.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    They will interchange without issue afaik.. So will a SBH hammer. The Montado model? Vaquero with Sheriff barrel length and SBH hammer.

I actually like the taller spur of the newer Vaquero hammer and kept it on mine. It's higher, but much more artistic.
    Thanks, will remember that. Ida know, just something about the new Vaquero hammer doesn't look right to my eyes.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast