Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Vaquero .45 In-Bound

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    Definitely a New Vaquero(zoomed in on photo), but still good for 20-22K psi loads.

35W
    They make the NV in .357, which is alot more than 22k. So, does that limitation only apply to the .45 Colt?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    They make the NV in .357, which is alot more than 22k. So, does that limitation only apply to the .45 Colt?
    Cylinder wall thickness is a LOT more than the same size cylinder in 44 or 45 caliber. The 357 can handle much more pressure because it is stronger. The cylinder walls are thicker, the barrel is thicker.

The 44 Special cylinder is thicker than the 45 Colt, so we speculate it should be good to 25kpsi, whereas the 45 Colt cylinder is factory rated to 23kpsi, which is 45 ACP+P pressure.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Did not know that, thanks.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Ok well life had truly gotten in the way of range time. Finally got it to the range yesterday. It is HORRIBLY out of time. It would strike the horizontal edge of the casing (read : rimfire). At times after a “click” I could rotate the cylinder counter clockwise, one position, after the misfire. Sometimes I would “click” through all five cartridges, open the loading gate to verify, and maybe fire three of the five cylinders after. Zero degree of reliability and frankly had to wait ‘til this morning to post because of my frustration.

I don’t really want to go through the multiple transfer fee process in going back to Ruger, though I may.

Again, in the light of a new day I can say “Good”. Now I can learn something new.

Where to begin, where to start…any and all help is appreciated. Thanks, crew.

- Brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless your state law differs, you can just contact Ruger and they will send a prepaid label to you. You send the gun off to them, they fix it, and return it back to you directly. No transfer or need to involve an FFL required under federal law since it is a repair.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Brentona View Post

- Brent

Call Ruger's customer support 1-800-784-3701 and describe the problem exactly as you typed it here. They will probably send the brown truck, the driver already has the label, box it up with all the stuff you got with it, they will pick it up, they will call you when it's ready to ship back and make sure you will be there to sign for the return. It's pretty easy really, and 99% of the time there will be no charge to you.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by Brentona View Post
    Ok well life had truly gotten in the way of range time. Finally got it to the range yesterday. It is HORRIBLY out of time. It would strike the horizontal edge of the casing (read : rimfire). At times after a “click” I could rotate the cylinder counter clockwise, one position, after the misfire. Sometimes I would “click” through all five cartridges, open the loading gate to verify, and maybe fire three of the five cylinders after. Zero degree of reliability and frankly had to wait ‘til this morning to post because of my frustration.

I don’t really want to go through the multiple transfer fee process in going back to Ruger, though I may.

Again, in the light of a new day I can say “Good”. Now I can learn something new.

- Brent

I didn't want to say anything earlier and rain on your parade. I bought NV in 45 Colt several years ago and and from a shooters standpoint it was a basket case. Throats were too small and had to be opened, the thread choke in the barrel had to be lapped out and among others things the bolt popped ridiculously early, scoring the cylinder. After I addressed these problems and got the revolver like I wanted it, it was just so-so accurate.
    I finally sold it and replaced it with a later model 4-click Uberti. Like my other Uberti's it's very well built, trigger was nice at 4 lbs., it handles the same loads as a NV, timed perfectly, very well fitted, and shoots palm-size groups at 75 yds. with the right loads. Win-win.

35W
    Last edited by 35 Whelen; 11-07-2022 at 10:06 AM.
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

#42 the Pawl needs to be checked out I reckon

I’d really like to try to LEARN the issue and it’s resolution. I feel it’s my duty to learn the arm and it’s troubleshooting procedures. If it all seems too much I’ll send it in. The few rounds that did go pop? First call it ten shot roughly 3.5-4” high. The scant few that came out while I continued my frustrations all began hitting POA. And accuracy was enjoyed, but the inconsistency of boom or click was throwing me.

Vendor Sponsor

Somebody could have gotten hold of it and tried to make a free spin pawl, the new guns have that from the factory. The issue was to make it easier to align the chamber with the loading gate so Ruger beveled off the edge of the pawl to allow this. Prior to that change, the pawl was cut square on the end and you had to roll the cylinder all the way around to access one hole the other direction.

OR.... Somebody could have replaced the pawl and never bothered to file fit the top of it resulting in over rotation.

You can get a free spin pawl from Brownell's or Midway, or you may just call Ruger and sweet talk them into sending you one free of charge.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 11-07-2022 at 02:48 PM.

https://youtube.com/shorts/dgGhG8xQpqw?feature=share

Well now it has a new trick. I took it down to clean and snap some pictures of my findings…now it’ll lock up at random! Back to the factory for this one.

Boolit Buddy

Try that same maneuver with the cylinder base pin installed. It looks like the transfer bar may be hanging on the back of the firing pin. There is a spring-loaded plunger in the base pin that pushes the transfer bar back to clear the firing pin as the bar rises. That won't fix your timing/cylinder latch problem, but I'm betting it will fix the binding-up problem.

Good luck!
    Running the ridges and riding the rivers of the Southwest Virginia Appalachians

Quote Originally Posted by Woodtroll View Post
    Try that same maneuver with the cylinder base pin installed. It looks like the transfer bar may be hanging on the back of the firing pin. There is a spring-loaded plunger in the base pin that pushes the transfer bar back to clear the firing pin as the bar rises. That won't fix your timing/cylinder latch problem, but I'm betting it will fix the binding-up problem.

Good luck!
    Yessir! Same sentiments echoed on another forum. Thank you kindly!

Really nice Brent....like the case hardening...hope it shoots well for you. My NV had to have the throats opened up to 0.4525" to shoot lead alloy. Cylindersmith did the work 8 yrs ago. Too, my NV shot low and left by 2-3" in both directions. I corrected the elevation by lowering the front sight, and opened the rear notch ~0.015" on the right side. With my standard .45 Colt load of 255 gr 454190 backed by 8.0 gr of Unique, it centered right up.

BTW, good lookin' pooch in your avatar...here's mine...'Molly'. Best regards, Rod

Rod

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12