RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The price of Federal primers.

Boolit Master
    The last primers I bought at Sportsman's here in town were CCI small rifle bench rest at $9/100. The std primers were $6/100. That was earlier this year (april?). June I paid $48 for a pound of IMR4198. This week it was $56.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by txbirdman View Post
    I bought some Federal small pistols for $10/100 at the local Academy a couple of weeks ago.
    That is a $100 per thousand and that is awful!

Boolit Grand Master
    Prices are inching down. I believe that trend will continue. And supply is much improved.

Those who were caught unprepared are hurting.

Like others, I switched most of my trigger time to air guns so can last a long time if I have to. Opened my eyes when I traveled down that road. There are some sweet toys in the airgun world.

My hope is the new normal settles into the $55-60 per 1000 range. I doubt it will get much lower and have planned accordingly.

Hopefully, most people will be OK and keep shooting.

BTW, seeing 9mm ammunition for $16/box. That is about 35% more than before the “great event”. If primers follow the same trend, there is hope.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post

Those who were caught unprepared are hurting.
    I felt prepared. After the 2008 shortage I stacked 'em deep. Heading into 2020 I had nearly 25K primers on hand. I am down to about half that amount, but my distribution is not ideal.

I am out of small pistol for all purposes at this point. Have a couple hundred small pistol magnum left. Under 1K large pistol and under 1K large pistol magnum. I still have decent stock of small rifle, and about 2K each of large rifle and large rifle magnum.

Luckily for the short term I can load 9mm, 38 super, and 357 with the small rifle I have on hand. But the lack of large pistol is starting to hurt, especially since myself, my wife, three of my kids, two sons-in-law and my mom finally have finished our wait for a CMP 1911. Feeding eight 1911's at the range once a month makes 45 ACP a hot ticket on my press these days. Hoping to find someone locally that needs small rifle and has large pistol.
    My isotope lead page: http://fellingfamily.net/isolead/

The price was high, but not outrageous in todays market. The next 30 days will do much to determine the future availability of obtaining any components.

The optimist in me says people have had enough and will make a few changes that should ease the market.
    the realist in me says this is still the "good times" and it's about to get really bad.

Boolit Master
    whoever jacked up the prices on primers did the same with car and truck batteries at the auto parts stores, primers were about $30/1000 three years ago a truck battery was about $85. today that same battery at all 4 big name auto parts stores that I checked was $259 to get $279. all these retailers are just trying to keep up with one another to separate us from our hard earned dollars. that's what it seems like to me anyways

Boolit Master
    PVC electrical conduit tripled in price too. It's come down 5%. Hopefully someone will break ranks and prices will fall.

The last few weeks there has been an avalanche of sales for ammo and everything else. Jovid inflation has eaten up disposable income and retailers are tightening up their margins. Brownells has been emailing flash sales which I haven't seen before and all Sales related emails are over double in the last month.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    It does seem a bit like things have peaked. But, every time I think that I see diesel go up in price. That usually means higher prices everywhere else. When I see diesel drop a bit then I'll start breathing again

Well, I feel just a little bit better now after reading all this. The thing is, almost all the primers are made in the US and if you are feeling the pain then I don’t feel as bad. Magtec are much cheaper, £42 , $47 but in a revolver you need 100% ignition reliability so it has to be Federal for that. Magtec are European manufacturers and would clean up if the made a soft primer similar to Federal.

Boolit Master
    I had trouble with Magtec primers in a revolver but no problem with their loaded 44 Mag ammo. I assume the same primers are used in their loaded ammunition. Each of the primers on the loaded ammo had a triangle embossed into the primer I think to make it more sensitive. I started to try that with my unembossed Magtec primers but quit when Federals came into stock.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.