RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading

Thread: eBay Auction #155210883827 :: Hensley & Gibbs #51 BB 10 Cavity Mold : Wire Brushed

eBay Auction #155210883827 :: Hensley & Gibbs #51 BB 10 Cavity Mold : Wire Brushed

Posted as a public service to potential bidders on 155210883827. In my personal opinion, based on over 30 years of looking at eBay auctions and pictures, the interior cavities have been cleaned with a wire brush and have suffered for it.

FYI.

The glints of light at the sharp edges (circled in white) are in the indicator I look for. A rounded edge reflects light. A sharp corner does not.

Pic:

https://i.ibb.co/Qrt45HB/s-l1600.jpg

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	305772
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

http://www.hensleygibbs.com

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Boolit Master
    Done by someone who has no understanding of what a precision instrument a mold is. A fellow I knew bought a two-holer Lyman that the same thing had been done to, apparently with a wire wheel. In a word, ruined. Immediate return for refund.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for pointing it out.

Boolit Buddy
    Good Lord! I’ve been lucky so far. I appreciate the heads up. This is an old auction but I will apply your advice when looking at future listings.

Boolit Master
    I have seen a few at flea markets that had been heavily bead blasted, all the corners were rounded. Probably rusted and ruined before blasting anyway.

Boolit Master

I've got a 6 cavity H&G 50 mold that shows evidence of wire brushing on outside surfaces. I'll check it using the OP's method later today. I have been contemplating selling it. I have a 4 cavity also and the six cavity is too heavy for me. It casts boolits that to my eyes are as good as the 4 cavity but I am concerned about the exterior evidence of brushing.

I guess, having said the above, most would assume the worst and consider it ruined. I'm not sure that I can take a picture that would reassure anyone that it is not damaged.
    John
    W.TN

Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for the posting! I have one or two moulds bought/acquired years back I now want to "check out" from your wonderful picture -- with circled areas -- Texasflyboy! I'm at present (I just turned 75) thinking on down-sizing (selling) a few of my moulds, and your post certainly will help me in evaluating/pricing the moulds I will part with.
    geo

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    I've got a 6 cavity H&G 50 mold that shows evidence of wire brushing on outside surfaces. I'll check it using the OP's method later today. I have been contemplating selling it. I have a 4 cavity also and the six cavity is too heavy for me. It casts boolits that to my eyes are as good as the 4 cavity but I am concerned about the exterior evidence of brushing.

I guess, having said the above, most would assume the worst and consider it ruined. I'm not sure that I can take a picture that would reassure anyone that it is not damaged.
    Simply make a bunch of boolits from that mold. Include these in the picture. Tell the buyer if what he casts don't like this you will take it back.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!