Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Tripods

Boolit Master

Tripods

I need some advice on which tripod to buy. Not going to use it for hunting just target shooting, my buddies shoot golf balls off a stand while sitting in chairs they all have tripods. I am not steady holding a rifle shooting at that small of a target. I like the looks of the Bog Death Grip model of tripod but don't know much about any of them . Help

Whatever kind it is, being sturdy is the important part.
    Some folks swear by those fancy shooting stick things.

A redneck monopod version would be to make your own by getting one of those old folks adjustable Alum. canes at Goodwill
    with the four little feet on the bottom, or a krutch and maybe use them upside down.

It may not go with your wardrobe, but you might could earn some bragging rights
    by out shooting your buddies with something that looks like you pulled it out of the trash.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I got a Bogen for my camera. Made a padded rest for it so could use as a rest. Very sturdy and solid.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Buddy
    Sturdy and steady is the key. I would look on Ebay for a used surveyor's tripod. These are FAR and away sturdier and more stable than any camera tripod. When I started shooting matches, I spent a lot of time looking through spotting scopes, and learn real quick, you can have a scope costing several thousand dollars sitting on a cheap tripod, and you have nothing. I used to survey, and those tripods do great, they have to, you would make huge errors if your instrument wasn't stable.

Boolit Master

Quote: "I like the looks of the Bog Death Grip model of tripod but don't know much about any of them . Help"

For years I labored to build the best sturdy shooting tables, just to watch the wind and rain ruin them in a couple years here in Mississippi.
    Bought the Death Grip. I'm never building a shooting table again. I can set up anywhere, rock solid. No your not going to hunt with these either.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Grand Master
    I got the Death Grip and it is amazing, does a wonderful job
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

I'm an old land surveyor, April of 2023 will mark 40 years in "private practice". In that length of time a person can collect a whole lot of stuff. I've got 8-10 old tripods stacked back in a cabinet and never once thought about rigging one up for a shooting platform. I do use a "pole" tripod to mount my chrony on, and it no longer sees it's intended field duty. I'm afraid all of my retired tripods are a bit too heavy to tote around for a shooting brace, but I guess they could be used in a strictly fixed position. Don't matter in my case - I'm too danged stove up to get down and sit on the ground to shoot, much less get back up.

jd

Boolit Master
    Look on Craigslist, You can find them for $10 or so. Cheap enough to use for practice