RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 357 Maximum & the Bradshaw/Martin Bullet

Boolit Master
    If we ever get this gun produced again it's going to be through Lipsey's, they are the one's that are willing to go to Ruger & tell them what the shooters/hunters want & need in a long range six gun.

Dick

Boolit Master

Heck of a shot. What, if anything, do you use for a rest in the field?

Boolit Master
    It would be awesome if Ruger reintroduced the Maximum in .357 Max and .350 Legend so people could buy factory ammo if they weren’t reloaders. The rest of us would just need to get Starline to make some Max brass. I’ve been on their wait list for 18+ months, ordered and received 4 other calibers in the mean time, 350L, 38 short Colt, 44 Colt and 44 special.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Good deer
    I had a long talk with Steve Vogel at the Montgomery AL RCA show, asked him about the possibility of reintroducing the SRM and calling it the Pheonix, he about choked on his Scotch, sitting next to me. He bust out laughing and said Bill has a thing about that gun, it will never be produced again. Steve was Bill's son inlaw, VP of foreign sales, 70% of Ruger sales at the time.
    So I shot my two in competition for two years and the cones started to crater, literally got little rivers, I sold them to collectorscand got a Seville, then an El Darado made in Chimney Rock, NC. El Dorado got it right. Stainless 10" with a bore bored cylinder, like FA, and bronze ball bearing cylinder pin mounts. They made frips under a hickory tree, out back, hand fitted every thing. Very nice gun. I ran 200 agrain RCBS taper crimped and about 20 gr of H-110 with small rifle primers, 205Ms. Worked on chickens at 200 meters.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Banner Sponsor

I'd be happy with a max length BFR.

Boolit Master
    They said the same thing about a 5 shot 480 also & we got that one done. Don't give up on a 357 Maximum from Ruger.

Dick
    Last edited by sixshot; 10-30-2022 at 02:36 PM.

Banner Sponsor

You are correct. The 5 shot they said would never happen.
    I bought a 6.5" 480 from the first run.
    So who do we write to?

Boolit Grand Master
    livin the dream Dick
    good hunting another good shot
    congrats
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Moderator Emeritus

I do like my contender bbl in the Max.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    Think the BFR is also chambered in 350L

Boolit Master
    "I had a long talk with Steve Vogel at the Montgomery AL RCA show, asked him about the possibility of reintroducing the SRM and calling it the Pheonix, he about choked on his Scotch, sitting next to me. He bust out laughing and said Bill has a thing about that gun, it will never be produced again. Steve was Bill's son inlaw, VP of foreign sales, 70% of Ruger sales at the time.
    So I shot my two in competition for two years and the cones started to crater, literally got little rivers, I sold them to collectorscand got a Seville, then an El Darado made in Chimney Rock, NC. El Dorado got it right. Stainless 10" with a bore bored cylinder, like FA, and bronze ball bearing cylinder pin mounts. They made frips under a hickory tree, out back, hand fitted every thing. Very nice gun. I ran 200 agrain RCBS taper crimped and about 20 gr of H-110 with small rifle primers, 205Ms. Worked on chickens at 200 meters."

Bill had a temper & attitude. But he's gone, and there's not even a Ruger left in the Company. So,, as the saying goes; "Anything's possible." We can hope that they might consider making the .357 Maxi again.

Rapier, I live just a few miles from where the El Dorado's were made here in NC. I used to visit the shop and handle guns, shoot a few & in general dream. I couldn't afford one of their guns back then. But I always wanted a .45 Colt & a .357 Maxi. Well, about 10 years ago,, I managed to find a .45 Colt. I went to visit Russ, to show him I'd finally gotten one of his guns. He commented on how I'd always wanted one of those & the Maxi. I got his wife to snap a picture of us together with my gun. Russ passed away 10 days later. I later managed to get a .357 Mag that belonged to Forrest. It was his demo gun. I'm still hunting a .357 Maxi by them.

But I've got a .357 Maxi Ruger & like sixshot, I too use the Bradshaw/Martin bullet. And he's right,, VERY accurate. From what we know,, sixshot's mulie is the first game animal taken with that bullet/caliber combo. Locally, a young man recently came to me with his newly acquired Ruger Maxi, and he's also set up with the Bradshaw/Martin bullet. He's looking to take a bear & a deer with his.

Now,, to find a Chimney Rock El Dorado in .357 Max!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rockrat78 View Post
    Think the BFR is also chambered in 350L
    I'm sure you can get a BFR in just about anything if you asked them. You can even get one in 307 winchester, and I've certainly thought about them in the past.

Boolit Master
    I think the best thing to do would be contact Jason at Lipsey's & let him know you are interested in the Ruger 357 Maximum in a 10.5" stainless gun. He's the one that sits down with Ruger & tries to twist their arm with something new.
    Here are some photo's of bullets & of some rests that I use. I've taken a lot of game, mostly deer & antelope with either Keith bullets or 180 gr GC HP's in the last 10 years or so. I knew no one had taken a big game animal with the excellent Bradshaw/Martin bullet so I decided to do it this year & it worked just like I thought it would.
    I've killed 3-4 deer beyond 180 yds with the Maximum, one was just under 220 yds. I've also taken, I think 4 antelope, these have been on depradation permits & I've used both the Bog Pod rest & the Barranti/Sixshot sling with great success. I always carry the Barranti sling in my pocket, it only weighs 5-6 oz's & you can have it ready in 4-5 seconds. It's pictured below. I also used it in Africa to take my Zebra. You adjust it at home to fit you & then just slip it on when you're ready to shoot, sitting up against a tree, rock, etc. Or sit in a chair with your feet on a stool, it's extremely steady when you flair out your knees.

Dick

Boolit Master
    I have many more photo's.

Dick

Boolit Master
    Folks,, pay attention here. Sixshot has shared some excellent information. And the pictures are superb.

Quote Originally Posted by sixshot View Post
    I have many more photo's.

Dick
    Feel free to share more of your pics! Thanks also for the info on the shooting sling. Never heard of it but now I’m intrigued

Boolit Master
    "Thanks also for the info on the shooting sling. Never heard of it but now I’m intrigued"

If you want one,, contact Mike "Doc" Barranti of Barranti leather. I like mine!

Boolit Buddy

In regards to the shooting sling the thought comes to mind......Why didn't I think of that??

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by doghawg View Post
    In regards to the shooting sling the thought comes to mind......Why didn't I think of that??
    I have looped 1" strapping for a rest around my knees but always stepped through it. That is ingenious.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    "Doc" Barranti makes these with a quick release spring clip so they adjust fast & they stay adjusted. Once you get it adjusted you just flair out your legs & that tightens the sling & there's no burning your legs from the cylinder gap. Plus it's very steady, like I said, I used it on my Zebra in Africa with great success. For the hunter who is sitting on the ground, against a tree or rock, etc these things work great. If I'm practicing at the range I take a short chair or stool to sit on & another one for my feet & slip on my Barranti sling & I'm ready to go. I turn the Bear Track down but that's just the way I do it.

Dick
    Last edited by sixshot; 10-31-2022 at 02:08 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast