Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lead haul #2 from favorite seller

Boolit Master

Lead haul #2 from favorite seller

Some of you may remember I hit the jackpot back in January or February of this year with a haul of 1500 lbs. of all lead wheel weights and another 500 lbs. of assorted large ingots of lino and tin. Well, That same seller had a lot of stuff left over in the form of ingots and "Scrap" in trash cans and a bunch of lead pipe. I finally found time to go up there today and bout all the rest of the "Scrap" and all the lead pipe. Someone else had already snagged the ingots. I hope if they read this they already know those ingots were mostly wheel weights! So I came home today with 1250 lbs. of lead hoping most of it was dead soft since I already have a bit over a ton of wheel weights. Weeeellllll, No, I have probably 200 lbs. of linotype and another 100 lbs. of what I suspect is tin! I have a bunch of pictures I am going to have to resize to put on here but I am going to need some help with some of this stuff. I had mentioned before that this young man bought all this lead from the estate of an old reloader so it was all good stuff. But the young man did not know what he had so he didn't keep it in order when he picked it up. Some of it is marked obviously and other stuff seems to be coded. I am going to buy a Cabine tree tester and see what I have with that and then decide what to send to BNE. So give me a bit to get the pics ready to go and you will see what I got but meanwhile, what is Gardiner Hexbar? I have 30-40 lbs. of that in short sections.

Boolit Master

i generally stay away from ingots at the scrap yard, lots of times the makers mixed to much foreign stuff in it. if you can get it checked its not a problem.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    This was NOT a scrap yard. This all came from the estate of a deceased reloader so I know it was all good stuff and I have not been proven wrong.
    Here are the links to the first loads.
    This is the first haul and the pics start at post #40, I added the second wheel weight run onto that thread.
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...Linotype/page2
    This was the second wheel weight run.
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...63-Todays-haul

So no, this is not scrap lead from the yard. It is all quality lead.

Boolit Master

Congrats ��

Boolit Master
    As promised, here are some pics.
    I suspect that these ingots could be pure tin. Note the S stamped in the end and the shine to them even sitting in a bucket full of dirty water, lead and crap.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0171.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	305721
    Everything from where that little piece of solder is sitting sideways towards the right I suspect is pure tin.

Name:	IMG_0175.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	305723
    Some of the markings I have found on the next three.

Name:	IMG_0173.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	305724

Name:	IMG_0181.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	305725

Name:	IMG_0182.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	305726
    The foundry shaped bars all ring like a church bell when hit with a small hammer

Name:	IMG_0184.JPG 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	305728
    All suspected tin

Name:	IMG_0185.JPG 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	305730
    Another form of marking, 13oz. 50/50

Name:	IMG_0187.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	305731
    These ring very clearly, can anyone tell me anything from the brand names?

Name:	IMG_0195.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	305732
    Unfortunately this pic does not show all the sparkling crystals in the break. The next pic is the same type of ingot but a whole one with brand. Again, any ideas?

Name:	IMG_0198.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	305733

Name:	IMG_0199.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	305734

Name:	IMG_0200.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	305735
    This is very soft, I am assuming since it was with the pipe that it is a joint seal of some type?

Name:	IMG_0201.JPG 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	305736
    And a shot of the total take with the last two being the Gardinar Hexbar I am trying to figure out. I Googled it and came up with a bunch of weightlifting bars!

Name:	IMG_0202.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	305737

Name:	IMG_0204.JPG(2).JPG 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	305738

Name:	IMG_0206.JPG 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	305739

Boolit Master
    And can anyone make any sense of these numbers? Seems to me the PB should be higher and what is the first one?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0182.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	305741

Boolit Buddy
    Cu copper. It's some kind of hard copper alloy. Maybe Babbitt Bearing alloy of some type
    Last edited by BIGOX; 10-16-2022 at 07:22 PM.

Boolit Master
    I could not find that exact mix but it appears to be a tin based Babbitt alloy. By the time you dilute it the copper will be a very small factor in actual use. I was looking at the Belmont site.

Boolit Master
    I did not take the last can of linotype he had since I am fully loaded with hard lead. If anyone is in the NE Pa. region and is interested in this stuff it is a really good price. You will need to go there to get it. And yes, there are spacers in with the lino but from what I could tell these were hard lead spacers. I believe this was all sorted lead by hardness at one time.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...9-2df2e06ff779

Boolit Master
    This may be wishful thinking but I "think" these ingots may be tin and I would like to find a simple way of checking them short of XRF testing. I am thinking that since they were cast in Lyman ingot molds and I have that exact same mold, can't I drop a few in my mold until I find one that is a perfect fit for a filled mold and then fill that same cavity with pure lead and compare weights? The tin would be substantially lighter but is there a formula that tells me how much lighter? The ingot molds are one pound molds so if I find the spot in the mold that makes a one pound lead ingot and then either find one of the ingots that fits that profile or recast one to the same line then I should be able to find the difference mathematically.
    Note the "S" stamped on the ends of the ingots. This guy used a lot of short codes for his stuff and this is very shiny and one ingot is like 13 oz.

Views:	16 
ID:	305770

Boolit Master

tin should be harder than soft pure lead..but slightly softer than wheel weights... that help any?

Boolit Master
    Yes and no, Pure lead is a BHN of 5 and tin is 7 so seeing the difference with my pick hammer test is not going to happen. . But I am going to be ordering a Cabine tree tester so I can go over a lot of this stuff before deciding what to send out for testing. I have separated most of the dead soft lead from another batch that is soft but not as soft, as the dead soft nor as hard as the wheel weights. The dead soft is getting melted down shortly to make space but the other stuff will wait for the tester. All those suspected tin strips that were poured into some sort of home made mold will be cast into Cast Boolits molds and marked as suspect tin and tested, again in the name of conserving space. All of the bigger ingots and chunks I am going to wait for the tester plus comments from members on here since that stuff all takes up little space when stacked up. I am getting way too old for this addiction!!!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    I did not take the last can of linotype he had since I am fully loaded with hard lead. If anyone is in the NE Pa. region and is interested in this stuff it is a really good price. You will need to go there to get it. And yes, there are spacers in with the lino but from what I could tell these were hard lead spacers. I believe this was all sorted lead by hardness at one time.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...9-2df2e06ff779
    That’s a shame. I drove right by there yesterday with money in my pocket and a buddy to help carry.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    If you drove by at around 10:00 I was there. 1 1/2 drive for me.

Moderator Emeritus

This may be wishful thinking but I "think" these ingots may be tin and I would like to find a simple way of checking them short of XRF testing. I am thinking that since they were cast in Lyman ingot molds and I have that exact same mold, can't I drop a few in my mold until I find one that is a perfect fit for a filled mold and then fill that same cavity with pure lead and compare weights? The tin would be substantially lighter but is there a formula that tells me how much lighter? The ingot molds are one pound molds so if I find the spot in the mold that makes a one pound lead ingot and then either find one of the ingots that fits that profile or recast one to the same line then I should be able to find the difference mathematically.
    Note the "S" stamped on the ends of the ingots. This guy used a lot of short codes for his stuff and this is very shiny and one ingot is like 13 oz.

Views:	16 
ID:	305770
    Here's my simple checkout.
    Do you have a good thermometer?
    Melt temp for pure Tin is 449.5°F
    after you melt it, pour it on a concrete floor, so it's about 1/4" thick or so.
    Pure tin will "Cry" when bent.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

If it is marked "S" it is probably solder. Send an ingot and a sample to BNE and then you will know. Just got back 7 tests myself, I hate guessing.

Boolit Grand Master

If you drove by at around 10:00 I was there. 1 1/2 drive for me.
    I shot a steel match over Harrisburg way. I drove by about 11:00 on the way in and 6:00 on the way out.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Well I use S on all my soft lead bars.

Boolit Master
    I had someone mention "Solder" which makes a lot of sense considering the huge amount of solder I also got with all of this.

Moderator Emeritus

like my other advice, if you have a good thermometer, you can figure out closely enough the percentages of your solder.

https://www.kester.com/knowledge-bas...perature-chart
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast