Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Baking PC bullets twice (2X)-anyone doing this and what is your experience?

Boolit Man

Baking PC bullets twice (2X)-anyone doing this and what is your experience?

Greetings,

I have seen references to doing two separate bakings of powder-coated bullets that is said to result in a smoother more even finish. I wonder why and how this would work and plan to do a small experiment on some of my bullets that come out slightly mottled from the first baking. I find like most that the type and color of powder seem to matter more significantly (I'm using all Smokes powders except for one other, Eastwood FLB).

Was wondering what experiences others have had. Not looking to complicate or do more work for the process because in general I am satisfied with my procedures and getting good accuracy, but I thought a quick check with others would be useful.

Does anyone have thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Paul

Boolit Master
    I do 2 coats for a particular boolit that
    is a tad undersized to bring it up to where
    I want it for a particular rifle.

And then, once in a while, I want a special
    batch to be purty.....

Boolit Master

I read the OP's question differently, baking twice vs PCing twice. Reference baking twice never heard of it for the reason the OP stated, but I have for heat treating purposes. I have not experimented but I do not think your finish will change with a second bake because the PC was/is cured during the first bake. Once cured I question how the PC could partially liquify to create a smoother surface during a second bake.

Or I completely misunderstood the OP's question and FredBuddy nailed.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Man
    Yes, my question was two separate baking procedures with one powder coating. Not a double powder coating process which I too like FredBuddy have done occasionally to bring the diameter up. I have seen this "double baking" referred to in another reloading forum but am not able to find it at the moment.

Oley55-I too wonder how once PC is cured that a second baking can make a difference?

I could be totally out of it but I could swear that I also saw Smoke refer to this in one of his postings...Smoke if you are listening please advise and if I got it all wrong I'll go back to my Jack Daniels...

Thanks
    Paul

I bought NOT from Smoke cause someone here had a good report. Mine now need 2 coats to not look terribly thin. Not pleased with Prismatic

Boolit Grand Master

Once is more than enough, I don't see what baking again would accomplish.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Anyways sorry for rant about my, two, complete coats. Just baking twice doesnt seem productive.