Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Load development range with iron sights

Boolit Master
    O.P. You say starting from scratch, Probably should see if you can hit a target @ 25-30 yds. Set sights & move on out to 50 or 100 yds. If it's a 150 yd plus rifle, you can probably go on to 100 yds after the 25 yd. starter, & so on from there. At 25 yds if it's not a tight group that load won't work at 100. My 2-cents.

Boolit Bub
    How many of you use scopes to develop a known good load and then remove the scope to use irons?

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    If I can my rifle get it dialed in at 25 yards, it will usually be in the black again at 100. I will do further adjustments from there.
    This assumption is dependent upon the height of the sights above the rifle's bore. It is a handy rule of thumb with sights about one to one-and-a-half inches above the bore. It does not work if the sights are further above the bore - like AR style rifles.

I think the best way is to put the rifle on the black when the black is backed up with a large white background so you can find the bullet holes.

Jim

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dman75 View Post
    How many of you use scopes to develop a known good load and then remove the scope to use irons?
    My big game rifles all have aperture sights, so not D&T'd for scopes.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dman75 View Post
    I've used a tang mounted peep sight to develop a load then went back to barrel sights. I do that primarily because apertures are more friendly to my old eyes.

Boolit Buddy
    100 yard testing is what I used initially, then as far as you could comfortably see without eye strain.

Boolit Master

25 yds then 50
    I use the mid range data at 50 to zero at 100 yds. If the patterns are good at 50 then I know they will be acceptable at 100.
    in Freedom
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I haven’t shot open sites since around 1999 when I had see-through us for close range bear hunting with dogs. Checked my zero at 25 yards and called it good. I tried my 1917 Enfield last summer at 100 yards. I was using jacketed ammo. Loaded up some random 150 grain Sierras. They were averaging about 2 1/4 inches for groups. I ended up trying a different powder and shot all in the same hole. I also tried some 165 grain ballistic tips. A couple different powders. I shot a hair under an inch and an inch and a quarter group with the two different loads. I can tell you it sure is a challenge using open sites at that distance. For precision 100 yard shooting float the top of your target on the front of your bead or you won’t see what you’re shooting at imo.

Since you have peep sights make some targets with circles experiment with various diameter circles such that your sight picture it slightly larger than the circle on the targets. This way you can make your sight concentric with the target circle. This reference will allow for better repeatability and depending on your eyes can rival magnified scopes.

Boolit Master
    With Iron Sights I always put my point of impact at the very top point of my front sight post not behind my bead so there is always full visibility of target at hand.

Boolit Master
    Already sighted in and zeroed with a load at 100 yards. If the velocity of the new load is significantly different I start at 50 yards. Even with hunting handguns. Self defense guns are completely different criteria.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    Since you have peep sights make some targets with circles experiment with various diameter circles such that your sight picture it slightly larger than the circle on the targets. This way you can make your sight concentric with the target circle. This reference will allow for better repeatability and depending on your eyes can rival magnified scopes.
    MarkP is exactly right.
    I have quite a few peep sighted rifles and have been using this method for many years when developing loads.

Boolit Buddy
    With open or receiver sights I test for groups at 50yds. A hunting load is sighted to top of bead at that distance so impact is within area covered by the bead at 100yds or a bit beyond. I'll take a few shots at 100 to confirm. Where I hunt most shots will likely be less than 75yds.

Boolit Master

100 yards

Boolit Bub
    I like the idea of making the target circles fit with the aperture. Definitely going to try that.
    Shot today with the 30-06 practicing hunting shots. Sitting with a rest I could ring the 8 inch plate every time at 100. Pretty happy with that. 95% of my shots would fall at 100 or closer

Boolit Master
    When your eyes become as old as mine, 75 yards with iron sights will do.

Boolit Master
    I can relate to the Old Eyes thing.

Boolit Buddy
    100 yards for rifle load development. Scope or irons. Scope gets a 1" bull and irons get an 8" bull. With irons I use a 6 o'clock hold with peep or standard rear iron sight.
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Friends call me Pac View Post
    100 yards for rifle load development. Scope or irons. Scope gets a 1" bull and irons get an 8" bull. With irons I use a 6 o'clock hold with peep or standard rear iron sight.
    That's the way to do it.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12