Load DataInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lee 3 legged reloading stand

Boolit Master
    I made two of these out of 2" pipe. I use a separate top plate for my swaging press. You won't break it or tip it over. You could take it apart and stow it in a foot locker or closet. Used pipe can usually be found at salvage yards. Three elbows, two tee's some different lengths of pipe, a pipe flange, a conduit lock ring and a piece of 1/4" steel plate. I did paint them after taking this picture.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	press stand 001 R.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	309043
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    The big plus of a three legged stand, is that it will always be stable, even on uneven ground. A four legged one will be a lot more difficult to get stable.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    The big plus of a three legged stand, is that it will always be stable, even on uneven ground. A four legged one will be a lot more difficult to get stable.
    First guy I ever worked for in a machine shop called that the "milk stool principle" . One screw type adjustment on the 4th leg could make everything work great. The HF thing is inexpensive for sure. If one is a project kinda person I would think about buying Hillman (2) 1-1/2" angle iron 48" long to make the legs without a joint in them. Then use the HF included angle for other projects. That would double the price of the whole project though. I think those legs would be a lot stiffer if they were solid.

Overall with how I do stuff I think I would just make the thing from scratch probably, and as you suggest 3 legs with 2 up front might work best.

At first glance I thought the Lee stand was cool but not $140 cool.

Sometimes perfect is the enemy of good too LOL .
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Willbird View Post
    First guy I ever worked for in a machine shop called that the "milk stool principle" . One screw type adjustment on the 4th leg could make everything work great. The HF thing is inexpensive for sure. If one is a project kinda person I would think about buying Hillman (2) 1-1/2" angle iron 48" long to make the legs without a joint in them. Then use the HF included angle for other projects. That would double the price of the whole project though. I think those legs would be a lot stiffer if they were solid.

Overall with how I do stuff I think I would just make the thing from scratch probably, and as you suggest 3 legs with 2 up front might work best.

At first glance I thought the Lee stand was cool but not $140 cool.

Sometimes perfect is the enemy of good too LOL .
    ""Overall, with how I do stuff I think I would just make the thing from scratch probably.""
    I don't see how you could make a comparable stand (HF), as the materials alone would be way more than $33.

As far as the 2-piece legs, the two-bolt overlap of the connection point and the shelf being sandwiched there too creates a very ridged joint with no movement or wobble.

Name:	StandS.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	309167

That and, I have tack-welded such joints on other stuff to add rigidity that worked quite well.
    Like the braces on this cheap workmate, the gap was so big I laid a finish nail in the gap before welding:

Name:	WeldPoints.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	309165

Name:	Weld2S.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	309164
    That cured the wobbles 100%.
    Last edited by Kenstone; 01-13-2023 at 01:15 PM.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Grand Master

I have made several for guys at the club similar to the pipe stand shown above.
    basically the same design, I extended the back leg and added a seat to it giving it the persons weight to help stabilize it.
    Sitting on it keeps the force contained in the unit. Sit it beside a table for the scales and what not, mount the press and powder measure on the top of the stand

Boolit Mold
    I have several of the LEE stands, and I think theyre great. They have a hanging setup where you can add three cinder blocks to it (the thin ones). This makes it very sturdy.
    I also tried the HF tool stand, and the Workmate, and like the LEE much better.

Quote Originally Posted by rrazian View Post
    I have several of the LEE stands, and I think theyre great. They have a hanging setup where you can add three cinder blocks to it (the thin ones). This makes it very sturdy.
    I also tried the HF tool stand, and the Workmate, and like the LEE much better.
    What is the square hole in the center of the top shelf for?
    I think I have figured it out.

Name:	Screenshot 2023-05-19 at 16-09-35 ReloadingStandWeb_loaded.jpg (JPEG Image 372 × 500 pixels).png 
Views:	5 
Size:	260.0 KB 
ID:	314178
    Last edited by deces; 05-19-2023 at 07:10 PM.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123