WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Hallowed Be Thy Name

Hallowed Be Thy Name

His name? Did you ever say the Lord's prayer and wonder to yourself "What name?"

This came up during breakfast the other day and I was puzzled. I'd just never thought about it before.
    So it was time to make use of the King James and the Strong's Concordance to solve the mystery.
    Turn's out that it wasn't about a name as in what someone is called by. It's about a name as in established authority. But you'd never know that by reading oh so many translations.

The scriptures say that God the Father and the Lord have many names, and lists some of them. I think the idea of "hallowed" is one of respect and worship.

DG

Boolit Master
    Moses asked and was answered:

"I AM"

John 18 our Lord says "I AM" and flattens the crowd:

4Jesus therefore, knowing all things that should come upon him, went forth, and said unto them, Whom seek ye? 5They answered him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus saith unto them, I am he. And Judas also, which betrayed him, stood with them. 6As soon then as he had said unto them, I am he, they went backward, and fell to the ground. 7Then asked he them again, Whom seek ye? And they said, Jesus of Nazareth. 8Jesus answered, I have told you that I am he: if therefore ye seek me, let these go their way: 9That the saying might be fulfilled, which he spake, Of them which thou gavest me have I lost none.

Amen

On the other hand, how about
    "The Nine Billion Names of God" by Arthur C Clark (1953)

Quote Originally Posted by .429&H110 View Post
    Moses asked and was answered:

"I AM"

John 18 our Lord says "I AM" and flattens the crowd:

4Jesus therefore, knowing all things that should come upon him, went forth, and said unto them, Whom seek ye? 5They answered him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus saith unto them, I am he. And Judas also, which betrayed him, stood with them. 6As soon then as he had said unto them, I am he, they went backward, and fell to the ground. 7Then asked he them again, Whom seek ye? And they said, Jesus of Nazareth. 8Jesus answered, I have told you that I am he: if therefore ye seek me, let these go their way: 9That the saying might be fulfilled, which he spake, Of them which thou gavest me have I lost none.

Amen

On the other hand, how about
    "The Nine Billion Names of God" by Arthur C Clark (1953)
    You know, I thought about Clark's story when I was headed towards looking up the Greek word that was recorded by Matthew and Luke. Thinking about the several descriptive "names" given in scripture as well as Yah, Yahweh and YHWH was part of what drew me towards looking this up.
    To reiterate, turned out what Jesus said is not about a name per se but an office, as in an established authority, like you would refer to a name that someone had made for themselves. To get that I had to go to what the Strong's Concordance had recorded. Like in Psalm 20, where what the old Englishman translated as "name" is actually a descriptive appellation. Any how, this has been an exercise that cleared something up for me and I had fun exploring scripture.

The One well known for the ten plagues.

Boolit Master
    Keep in mind, the scripture is written in legal language, mostly pointing to the father, son, and heirship of the Bible narrative. The entire Bible from front to end is about the inheritance of heaven for those who accept the gift of grace. With that said, if you study, you will find there are many names of God, all of them descriptive. God's primary name, I Am, speaks to His self existent natural.... There is no other, and He covers all the bases! As for hallowed, He is worthy of all honor, without reservation, and He is to be praised, forever!
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    You know, I thought about Clark's story when I was headed towards looking up the Greek word that was recorded by Matthew and Luke. Thinking about the several descriptive "names" given in scripture as well as Yah, Yahweh and YHWH was part of what drew me towards looking this up.
    To reiterate, turned out what Jesus said is not about a name per se but an office, as in an established authority, like you would refer to a name that someone had made for themselves. To get that I had to go to what the Strong's Concordance had recorded. Like in Psalm 20, where what the old Englishman translated as "name" is actually a descriptive appellation. Any how, this has been an exercise that cleared something up for me and I had fun exploring scripture.
    Isn't that the whole point, to have fun exploring Scripture? I just turned 70, have been studying Scripture since I was 15, and have half of a theology degree in my Doctoral program. I am still exploring new things in Scripture. It really is the neverending story.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Yeah, Wayne, you're right. It really is fun.

God is multi faceted and has a name, the almighty, wonderful, counselor, el shaddai, Jehovah jireh, Jesus, holy, all the above. The fruits of the spirit. Known, he was the answer for the gentiles too.

Yep, offices, characteristics. I'm sure there's a better word for it but I'm still working on coffee.

Banned

Another POV is all names that are holy referring to God. Remember that God the Father is 1 of the 3. When we use certain names in regards to any of the persons of the Trinity, we are always referring to the one true God. Jesus, Holy Spirit, Redeemer, Mediator, Savior, etc, etc. One God and three persons? Go think on that for awhile and see if you can make your head hurt. You can google the story of St Augustine pondering the Trinity while walking along the beach - says volumes about what Christians believe but can't really understand it or explain it.

Had this conversation with a family member over Thanksgiving. As with taking the Lord's name in vain, there's bunches of people who just never became acquainted with what that means.

Boolit Master
    I enjoyed all 14 hours of "The Truth Project"
    Dell Tacket has a great line:
    "We approach the Nature of God with fear and trembling. So let's begin."

Boolit Master
    Reverent fear, which is a basis for honor of The Holy One, is just the beginning of showing correct respect for the name of God, and yes, He is correctly referred to by many names. We make a grave error by not recognizing the significance of every one of them, because they are all about God's nature, and can help us to deal with our own natures. As holy as He is, we are not!
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Boolit Grand Master

Just what does it mean to do something in 'vain'? Vanity is emptiness, meaninglessness, and to use the identity of God in such a way is something we all do when we pray routinely, pray without consciously thinking through what we are saying, or pray in a rote way, using someone else's words without meaning them.

Woops! That's very different from saying 'swear words', isn't it.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Meaningless, worthless

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Just what does it mean to do something in 'vain'? Vanity is emptiness, meaninglessness, and to use the identity of God in such a way is something we all do when we pray routinely, pray without consciously thinking through what we are saying, or pray in a rote way, using someone else's words without meaning them.

Woops! That's very different from saying 'swear words', isn't it.
    Yes indeed it is. Funny how the world seeks to change what God tells us.