WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data

Thread: oddball size check maker

Boolit Master

oddball size check maker

Myself and others on here wound up with molds that have miss-cut gas shanks. The mold shanks are .419 and should have been .402-.404.

Is there anyone making a freechecks arbor style maker for oddball shanks? I've tried stretching standard 44 mag gas checks but even annealing its a no go.

Boolit Buddy
    If you have access to a machine shop, there are plans available on this site that gives dimensions for "standard" size calibers. For your oddball, all you need to do is either "grow" one bigger or "shrink" one by a few thousand's. I had a set made at work by a bored tool and die maker.

Boolit Grand Master

You might be better off to have the gas check shank removed from the mould then use a PB gas check maker which is or at least was available.

if the shank is 0.419 you are limited to very thin material anyway. At least if you got the gas check shank removed you could get PB checks of standard size:

https://www.sagesoutdoors.com/44-cal...se-gas-checks/

Pat Marlin's makes PB dies:

https://patmarlins.com/using-checkma...ain-base-dies/

Or you could get an Ed Smith or IDZ gas check maker made to produce PB checks yourself as crandall crank above says. That shold work for your odd size shanks too with correct material thickness.

What is the mould(s) with odd size gc shank?

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    They make excellent GC dies, I have many. However, unfortunately, they took a direct hit from Hurricane Ian, and are in a bad way.
    Just because it’s a bad idea…
    …. Doesn’t mean it won’t be a good time !

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    You might be better off to have the gas check shank removed from the mould then use a PB gas check maker which is or at least was available.

if the shank is 0.419 you are limited to very thin material anyway. At least if you got the gas check shank removed you could get PB checks of standard size:

https://www.sagesoutdoors.com/44-cal...se-gas-checks/

Pat Marlin's makes PB dies:

https://patmarlins.com/using-checkma...ain-base-dies/

Or you could get an Ed Smith or IDZ gas check maker made to produce PB checks yourself as crandall crank above says. That shold work for your odd size shanks too with correct material thickness.

What is the mould(s) with odd size gc shank?

Longbow
    Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys.

Longbow the mold is a 44-250 Glenn Larson group buy from Miha. All of us that spec'd gas check got stuck with 419 shanks and the guy refuses to correct his error.
    I'm glad to see the group buys are history. The group buy I was in on before this one was the 7mm Thor. At least the Sands family stepped to their error on that one. I did get a b unch of good group buys along the way going all the way back to Lee.