Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saeco molds

Boolit Bub

Saeco molds

What is the consensus about the current Saeco mold quality? I'm considering a 32 caliber wadcutter mold and I see that Saeco makes one, for about 40 dollars more I can get an Accurate mold, (I will most likely do that), Redding makes pretty good dies so you'd think Saeco molds would be the same quality.

Boolit Master

I have 2 Saeco molds and they produce quality boolits. The problem is that they are priced as high as custom molds.

Boolit Grand Master

I have owned and still own a number of SAECO molds and have found them every bit as good as a custom mold.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    I waited for years for a two cavity Saeco #081 mold to come back in stock. I was just able to purchase one, and It came in on Tuesday. The quality of the mold is very good. It's better than RCBS or Lyman, and almost as good as NOE.

Boolit Master

I think there are as good as any out there. Pricey, and I do not like the sprue cutter hinge point. It should be in the corner of the block. Their numbering system is crap. You have no idea what size bullet, caliber or weight you have by reading the number.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by silhouette_shooter View Post
    What is the consensus about the current Saeco mold quality? I'm considering a 32 caliber wadcutter mold and I see that Saeco makes one, for about 40 dollars more I can get an Accurate mold, (I will most likely do that), Redding makes pretty good dies so you'd think Saeco molds would be the same quality.
    I have and use twenty-one SAECO/Redding moulds. To wit, 302-120, 307-180, 307-180, 315-175, 316-150, 219-DDC, 354-180, 356-200, 376RN, 424-200, 424-200, 428-240, 441-240, 442-246, 444-200, 446-200, 294-387, 10B, 945, 945, and, 954. (I use the two #945 in tandem for quicker production).
    Imho, for iron moulds, the two top I have of current major manufacture are the SAECO and those made in-house by Buffalo Arms. The only challenge I experienced on a very few was obtaining top punches to use in my Lyman 45/450 lub-sizers.
    Again, at least for the few I have and use -- I'd suggest it would be tough to improve upon the quality of their manufacture. Some of my WELL-used moulds have vent lines and extremely sharp edges as they sported when I first opened the boxes they came in!
    My opine...
    geo

Boolit Master
    I've had many SAECO double-cavity moulds and still have at least a dozen, but I haven't bought one in more than ten years. My favorite; never had a problem.

Boolit Bub
    I'm particularly interested in what people who have recently bought a Saeco mold have to say about them. I had a Saeco mold for my 40-65 back around 2006, it dropped very nice bullets. But what about what they're shipping nowadays?

Got a few.... the last Saeco was a real pain to get. About a year ago,blame it on the C word? I don't know.... but getting moulds from some places was just a royal pain. Think this 6.5 mould came from Midway? It's their,notify when it's available thing they have?

Anyway it's the most current Saeco here. The dropped "numbers" are inline with what they should be on this bore ride 140g? Too lazy to look up the #....

It is a single cavity. Which "may" have something to do with it... dunno. I'm almost a Saeco fanboy so this doesn't come lightly. Also have been casting for almost 50 years but.....

This mould has been a real bear to break in. Yes,clean...clean...clean! Think I got that part,doh. I'm sayin past all the "usual" new mould prep junk,this one is just being downright prickly. Got 3 or 4 sessions on it and it still,ain't right. Yes on,beautiful mould oven...yes on,preemo alloy. You asked,just sayin. Good luck with your project.

Boolit Bub
    I thing I will order a #323 2 cavity 95 grain wadcutter mold since I already have a pair of saeco handles.

Moderator Emeritus

I can't speak for Redding's current quality, other than to say there has been no flurry of complaints on the forums. Also, Redding has excellent customer service, if you do happen to have a problem.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I bought my new Saeco double cavity cast iron 358 flat point, 200 grain RCBS style plain base, from Buffalo Arms, Saeco itself did not have one in stock. It is a fine mold. I expect it to shoot like my other 200s shoot.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    For a while Saeco were the only molds I would buy pricey yes but what few problems I had Saeco fixed no arguments.

Boolit Master
    Saeco-Redding make the best iron moulds currently manufactured.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    Saeco-Redding make the best iron moulds currently manufactured.
    Yep,
    Had Saeco for many years, really, really great molds.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

I would say that the OLD SAECO moulds (those made in Carpenteria) are every bit the quality of Hensely & Gibbs.
    I have two OLD ones still in the boxes.
    I can't speak to the quality of today's SAECO moulds, but to say they are equal to RCBS says a lot.
    RCBS makes very good moulds. Too bad they are only two cavity.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

I don't have a new Saeco mold bot I do have several old molds that still cast very good bullets.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Saeco 301 that is a real jewel. i love iron molds and have a bunch of various makers. However, Saeco makes the very best iron molds, bar none.

Boolit Master
    The only criticism I can offer about them is I think the spruce plates are a little thin, the same with N.O.E. H&G and Miha’s plates are thicker and better for me for heavy use. I have a Redding Saeco 8 cavity, it’s plate is great.

Boolit Master
    I have 11 different molds in .313" diameter with RN, RF, WC and SWC nose profiles for the .32 caliber family of revolvers. I used to test mold patterns against each other for group size looking for the tightest groups both at reduced velocity and near-maximum velocity. The one mold that wins all tight group contests and at all speed levels is the Saeco 325 pattern (98 gr. SWC), followed very closely by the Lyman 31357 style (100 gr RF) for the .32 Colt New Police. Some of these other molds I would keep as they fit other applications (.32 S&W, .30 Luger, etc.) but that leaves several that could disappear with no tears shed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast