RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30-30 info

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    In loading 9mm, 40 and 45 you are already using an "M-die". With those die sets it is called an "expander" die. The M-die/expander die expands the inside of the sized neck and flares the case mouth, so lead is not shaved off the cast bullet. BTW, you're not sounding stupid at all. I suggest you download Lyman's #3 Cast Bullet handbook as it gives an excellent treatise in the front of the manual on loading cast bullets in not only handgun cartridges but rifle cartridges, like the 30-30, as well.

Larry knows ...
    Good Advice !
    Be sure and buy the latest Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th edition ...
    worth every penny !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy

Cool

I cannot believe the amount of misinformation in this thread about the Lyman M die. It is not a “flaring” die, it is a two-step die which expands the case neck to two different, specifically designed diameters. The smaller diameter is slightly below bullet diameter to grip the bullet, the larger allows easy, straight seating of the bullet with close to the bullet diameter. I’ve used them for decades, but there is a better product which allows a more custom fit. These are the custom expander dies from Bullalo Arms: https://www.buffaloarms.com/reloadin...s/291-329.html

You don’t need an M die or equivalent, but they can allow better bullet seating alignment and accuracy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	44548B90-8632-4A8F-AB69-1446E8DBE8C4.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	305641

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post

Larry knows ...
    Good Advice !
    Be sure and buy the latest Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th edition ...
    worth every penny !
    Gary
    I do have the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th edition but to totally honest I haven't really read it completely. Will have to review it again. Thanks. It

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Get the Lyman M-Die or better yet ... get NOE's set up ... a Universal Body with interchangable M-die expander plugs . A M-Die does one caliber only ... Noe's Die has interchangable plugs in just about every caliber you could want .
    I bought a Lyman M-Die when I started doing cast in 30-30 , solved all my seating problems .
    Since then I discovered the NOE system and have been using the different expander plugs.
    Excellent advice, the NOE plugs are all I use now.

Boolit Grand Master
    now ya did it
    I have to go make up some loads for my 30-30
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

I use the Lee 170g in a first-generation marlin 336. It knocks over a thick chunk of steel cut in the shape of a full size whitetail at 200 yards in levergun silhouette matches

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Noe M die plug is not sufficient in length to size the 30-30 neck it’s entire length. If you’re running plain based bullets, it will swage your bases.

Boolit Grand Master

Another piece not mentioned is that Lyman makes two M die bodies, long and short. They make multiple expander tips to use in those bodies and usually - but not always - the short body is used for pistol/revolver cartridges and the long body is used for rifle calibers. Buy two bodies and the expanders you need, or investigate what NOE uses for the same purpose. I haven't used his stuff as I had the Lyman dies before he got into business.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master
    well I took my old 30-30 out today shoots fantastic
    using a 311341 Lyman boolit weighing inn at 180 gr with ww alloy
    I used Accurate 2460 and it shot some fantastic groups
    did a progressive load from 25-27.5 gr and the more the charge increased the better the groups got
    them I had some Accurate boolits from last year charged with H 414 and that load shot even better
    those boolits weighed in at 190 gr.
    going to be my woods rifle this year, it's been a long time
    Last edited by white eagle; 10-19-2022 at 06:18 PM.
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy
    I have an NOE expander plug that was made extra long, specifically for 30-30 cases. See if they still offer it.

Boolit Master
    Before you buy a mold you can try out some different bullets. Montana Bullet Works has quite a selection, including the Lyman bullet Larry recommended. I was really glad I did that when I started. Saved me spending money on molds that would not have worked for me at the time.

Expander. If you are using gas checked bullets all you really need is slight flare to the case mouth. The gas check will prevent the neck from sizing down the bullet. But, if you are using plain base, especially if they are not very hard, then the neck may size down the bullet. For that case you need the "M die" or NOE's equivalent. This die, as shown in the drawing posted above, opens up the case neck to prevent sizing the bullets, and, it makes a nice 'stepped' flare for starting the bullt.

In both cases you will need to use the crimp die to remove any flare at the mouth. I use the Lee FCD and set it to just remove the flare, no crimp.

After a while you may want to crimp the bullets. Depending on the rifle, load, etc the tubular magazine may cause some bullets to be pushed deeper into the case. A crimp will prevent that.

Lyman 31M is for long 30/30 case necks, uses the long holder. Lee universal tool is for flare, not expanding but accepts NOE expanders (use 309). I could never get the Lee neck sizer to work, just full length all cases. Lee FCD works fine (part of the Lee set). Size the NOE clone 041 mould to 311, load and go. You will need GCs for that mould. Make a couple dummy rnds and check fit for seating depth and chambering. PC or 2 coats of BLL work as lube for me. BLL is Lee Liquid Alox and Ludmark floor wax mixed 50/50, use about 6 small drips per 50 bullets. I use plastic deli meat container, drip in and swirl bullets around good, dump on wax paper or something to dry overnite, then repeat. Cheap and no cooking or anything special to make it.
    I started with the Lee ranchdog 30/30 mould, half GC and half PB, worked OK but changed to a 31 170. Accuracy was better but the Lee worked OK.
    Whatever!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12