RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Beeman P17 Modification

Beeman P17 Modification

I am a Airgun Newbie but I have considerable experience with powder firearms. I love practicing with my new P17. I am having a tough time loading the pellets though. I had the idea to take my Dremel tool and grind a shallow groove into the barrel loading port. I figure if I do this I could then slide the pellet into the proper position before pushing it in. My problem is that lots of times the pellet is canted and my finger is too fat to readjust it. The other option I was thinking about was grinding a slight bevel into the loading end to kind of funnel the pellet in. My question is has anybody done either of these modifications and is there a possible down side from doing either one of these modifications
    Last edited by TXBRILL; 10-13-2022 at 02:48 PM. Reason: spelling

Moderator Emeritus

To answer your question, the odds are quite high your suggested mods were done/tried by others. I am kind of a Beeman fan, and currently possess five (2 P1s. a P2, P3, and 2027) of their arms. A good friend had a Model 2004 -- which I believe is the predecessor of the P17.
    That said, Ed regularly complained vis loading challenges, and he found a set of angled tweezers which worked like a charm. Prior, he'd lay the pistol down on the bench and kind of drop the pellet in from the side. He'd regularly ask, "wanna' swap?" for any one of MY Beeman's, and he'd oft' voice that his was, indeed, "junk" (his term) -- but for the price, more than worth it.
    Another point (pun intended) that Ed made was that the SHAPE of the pellet was/is most significant re loading challenge. You might try kind of a pointed pellet to ascertain if that helps before you commence Dremeling. (Should you Dremel, I might suggest you contact cement a cut piece of scrap on each side of the channel you plan to mill... Free-hand-held Dremels -- at least mine -- oft' have a mind of their own where they wish to grind; a "track" keeps the grind in line.)
    Best!
    geo

Boolit Master
    In addition to using the angled tweezers like georgerkahn suggested above I made a "loading tray" from one of the inserts in a 22lr ammo box. All I had to do to the flat insert with the holes in it was glue a thin piece of cardboard to the bottom of it so the pellets couldn't fall through it. It works for both .177 and .22 pellets.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Boolit Mold
    round pellets nose pellets load way easier, like crossman hp,, i have thought about beveling the load port slightly also, but be careful the breech seals on face of that barrel, it would not take much to help load wad cutters, i've been shooting my P17 here lately also , several 10 meter targets for score first thing in morning before work or days activities. I've actually been shooting all my pellet pistols, the Crossman 1008 needed resealing,, JG airguns,, and the timing corrected, so sent off for the seal kit and timing spur, I have a RWS diana 6 g , man i forgot how accurate that thing is, also a cross. 1377, have trigger mod and polish job on it, its a sweet shooter.

I really would like a Pcp air pistol, i have rifle but no pcp pistol ,, the cross,1701p , is calling me, i like the marauder, or the 1720t , anyway too many to list , i go looking at one and i want them all.

I lay the pellet on its side at the breech of the p17 , and roll the nose over into the hole, really quick, after you get the hang of it.
    Last edited by bryan scott; 10-14-2022 at 12:35 PM.

Pointed or round nose pellets are easiest.

If I am going to shoot it a lot, ie more than 5 rounds the tweezers come out.

For just a couple shots I can normally finesse it into place.

The other thing I have done is disabled the auto safety. Safety still works but it does not reset to safe every time I load it. Was just too much pain in the posterior.

Drift a single pin out by the trigger, There is a small silver lever that when the action is opened resets the safety. I removed that lever and reassembled. Easy job.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Mold
    I didn't do that when I had the gun apart doing trigger job and reseal, I was going to go back and do away with a auto safety, I don't even think about after shooting a bit, I just automatically Clink it off during loading then thumb the hammer up ,
    Last edited by bryan scott; 10-15-2022 at 08:27 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Had the same problem loading, my solution is Pyramyd Air PY-A-2932 Crosman Pellet Loader, Holds 16 .177 Cal Pellets
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PY-A-2932_Crosman-Pellet-Loader-Holds_1605720423.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	305906
    Had to Dremel a small amount of material to allow pellet holder to clear frame. Works like a charm.

Boolit Mold
    I pulled my p 17 down and just rounded off the inside edge of barrel and polished it and it did make a nice difference on loading the wad cuters, it didn't take but a bit just take the sharp edge off the corner, and polish, Forgot to pull the safety bar again, to do away with auto safety,

After reading all the suggestions on this and other forums what I did was take an 8" round file and opened up the rear of the frame above the locking bar. I took about 15 minutes and I was able to fit my Air Venturi pellet loader in...it works perfectly thanks for all the suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRILL View Post
    I am a Airgun Newbie but I have considerable experience with powder firearms. I love practicing with my new P17. I am having a tough time loading the pellets though. I had the idea to take my Dremel tool and grind a shallow groove into the barrel loading port. I figure if I do this I could then slide the pellet into the proper position before pushing it in. My problem is that lots of times the pellet is canted and my finger is too fat to readjust it. The other option I was thinking about was grinding a slight bevel into the loading end to kind of funnel the pellet in. My question is has anybody done either of these modifications and is there a possible down side from doing either one of these modifications
    What I was told was a small Allen wrench in the back of the pellet makes placing it in the gun easy.

Tried it, works great.