WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wisconsin musings

Boolit Master
    Lived near Tomah in the west central area for 27 years, son and daughter are there and I still own 115 acres of prime deer and turkey land. IIRC the Norske Nook in Osseo had the best pies and La Crosse had a great Octoberfest. Miss some it but don't miss the winters.

Boolit Master

"Yes, there is no mistaking the midwest accent. Wisconsin and Michigan is particularly thick." Megasupermagnum

It's all those Swedish and Norwegian ancestors.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Mold
    I live a little ways from a town of a hundred people in the winter and a thousand in the summer on the south shore of Lake Superior. It’s claim to fame is the northernmost post office in Wisconsin. Woke up early this morning to a snow covered vehicle and a smidge below freezing. If you want a good laugh, look up Charlie Beren’s The Manitowok Minuite on Facebook or YouTube. He is the epitome of a Wisconsinite.

I'm having Jalapeno withdrawal.
    oh oh.
    Whatever!

Moderator Emeritus

You MUST try walleye while there!

And dip your toes in Lake Superior. I used to sail it with my sister and brother in law. Bro tacked and didn't warn us and swept us off the deck. That was one cold swim while he got the engine fired and sails down to turn around and pick up up! We got on board and through him in the lake to g for a 30 minute swim. After that he never failed to warn us so we could duck under the boom...

And fall is the time to go up there to catch a winter gale on the lake... waves that are 20+ feet at times during bad blows... Edmund Fitzgerald went down around this time of the year on Superior!

Many thanks to all for the tips and advice!
    As this was a funeral trip, our pleasure seeking was a but limited- but God willing we will return someday!
    My eyes devoured lots of Celiac unfriendly food while there- but my wife and "girlfriend" did their best to represent
    Popper- I scored a "fix" this morning with a bag of Ghost Pepper cheese curds- they ain't playing!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    Don't forget to eat at Culvers and stop at da Fleet/Farm store!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    My friend, that is why you are there, and I am here.
    My apologies, I had heard that Florida got washed away, about 3 weeks ago?? I hope all is ok?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DukeSoprano View Post
    Don't forget to eat at Culvers and stop at da Fleet/Farm store!
    I didn't realize Culvers was a midwest chain. I always thought their burgers were gross, maybe a half step better than Mcdonalds, but nowhere close to an A&W.

Fleet Farm is basically gone now. Once it was sold and no longer Mills, prices jumped up 30%, the good stuff in the store disappeared, Chinese junk rolled in. It is going the same path as Gander Mountain, and I suspect the ending will be the same too. Runnings is now better than Fleet Farm.

Quote Originally Posted by Siskiwit View Post
    I live a little ways from a town of a hundred people in the winter and a thousand in the summer on the south shore of Lake Superior. It’s claim to fame is the northernmost post office in Wisconsin. Woke up early this morning to a snow covered vehicle and a smidge below freezing. If you want a good laugh, look up Charlie Beren’s The Manitowok Minuite on Facebook or YouTube. He is the epitome of a Wisconsinite.
    Funny dude, Charlie Berens! I often work with his uncle, Dave......driest, grumpiest guy you could ever meet. Lol!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rich/WIS View Post
    Lived near Tomah in the west central area for 27 years, son and daughter are there and I still own 115 acres of prime deer and turkey land. IIRC the Norske Nook in Osseo had the best pies and La Crosse had a great Octoberfest. Miss some it but don't miss the winters.
    Osseo is where I went to high school. While back home last summer I happen to bump into the daughter(went to high school with her) of the woman who started the Norske Nook at a gas station. She looked about the same now as she did 45 years ago and would have looked the same if she dyed her hair blond.

IMO. The best apple pie and apple crisp is sold in the La Crescent MN area apple orchards. They only have it now at the the orchards.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by perotter View Post
    Osseo is where I went to high school. While back home last summer I happen to bump into the daughter(went to high school with her) of the woman who started the Norske Nook at a gas station. She looked about the same now as she did 45 years ago and would have looked the same if she dyed her hair blond.

IMO. The best apple pie and apple crisp is sold in the La Crescent MN area apple orchards. They only have it now at the the orchards.
    There are also several good orchards on the Wisconsin side of the Mississippi River on Hwy 53/35 between Holmen and Buffalo City. Apples are but one of their tasty fares...
    Last edited by 36g; 10-20-2022 at 06:01 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    Get you some cheese curds. They grow them up there too.
    mmmmmm, cheese curds. Love that squeak on your teeth from the good ones.

Company I drove for a while ago was based in Wausau. Went there every week for almost 10yrs. Wausau, Rhinelander, Hayward, La Cross, Green Bay on occasion and other places. People were always friendly and don't let those nuts in Madison fool you, it's a great state with great people. The weather and terrain, trees and stuff reminded me of my home state of Vermont but with less hills. Loved it there.

Saw the Northern Lights for the first time there. Left out of Brokaw one very cold Christmas morning 0400 and there they were. Green.
    Last edited by jonp; 10-20-2022 at 06:03 PM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    Life's not complete without a visit to Hurley . . . . used to be a wild place at one time. Then you could slip across the border to God's Country . . . the UP of Michigan!
    Ok, Yooper. Just calm down.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    It don't get cold up here, just a figment of you imagination. I have been in cold where a strike Anyware match won't light because it's too cold, or you gas lighter freezes and won't light or ceresin freezes, alcohol gets thick, then you have cold, Through another log in the stove. Cold land warm people.
    That's funny stuff. I've been cold where my metal Thermos froze the hot coffee solid. The fishing line froze and shattered and the perch we caught froze solid before they hit the ice. There is cold and there is cold!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsm180 View Post
    If you're a beer drinker, try some Spotted Cow, great with walleye.
    I'd be satisfied with some Point Special.

Do they still think everyone from Chicago is a gangster?

We used to drive over to Kenosha from Waukegan to get M-80's.

Did I just tell my age?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by sknhgy View Post
    I'd be satisfied with some Point Special.

Do they still think everyone from Chicago is a gangster?

We used to drive over to Kenosha from Waukegan to get M-80's.

Did I just tell my age?
    You just told mine as i got the reference! Now, if i just had that old Mustang with the Cherry Bomb back

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12