RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: 20 gauge Sabot Pressure Wad Questions

Boolit Bub

20 gauge Sabot Pressure Wad Questions

I just got around to loading some 20 gauge spws that I purchased a while back and have a question for those of you with more slug loading experience. I am loading them in new Cheddite 2 3/4" hulls with 27 grains of Bluedot, and a roll crimp which is one of the five loads that was provided with the slugs. I've only loaded a couple so far, and it seems like I have a whole lot of hull that needs to be rolled down to secure the slug. I compared it to some fired and unfired hornady sst's I have and these are measurements I got. Hornady loaded length 2.485" Hornady Fired length 2.71". SPW loaded length 2.381" SPW length prior to roll crimp 2.72". I measured about 0.27" of hull that I rolled in to secure the slug in place. My question is is this an acceptable amount of roll crimp, or should I trim the hulls some prior to loading, or add a spacer between the slug and powder (none is called for in the load data). Thanks for any help
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1871.jpg   IMG_1870.jpg  
    Last edited by bogorman; 10-13-2022 at 04:52 PM.

Boolit Master
    Visually, they look too long. My rule of thumb has been to measure a factory roll crimp (I have several Federal buckshot loads) and triple the length to the top of the card or slug face. If the factory load is 1/8", I'll leave 3/8" to roll over.

Or, as you noted, just add one or more wads to raise the slug.