Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee 6 cavity mold

Boolit Master

There is much better no doubt.

BUT LEE are entirely useable and far less expensive.

Midway currently has many on CLEARANCE with some 6cavs 25$!!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by la5676 View Post
    The 6 holers I cast with need cooling off on a damp cloth every few batches. Never had the “too cool” issue.
    same. i probably get about 5 pours before it spends 15 seconds on a damp cloth.

Boolit Master
    Have them for 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 9mm, 40, 44, and 38/357 (2). Pre-heat with a hotplate while lead pot melts and good bullets almost from the first pour. A 20# pot is a plus, you'll go through a lot of alloy quickly.

Boolit Mold
    I use them and have no issues with them.

Boolit Master
    I like them. I have a bunch of the 6 cav group buys that we did here. Last winter I purchased a new 6 cav mold and it's an incredible caster from the first pour. All I did was scrub it up in hot water and dish soap then preheat on my hot plate. Can't beat um for the price.

No complaints about Lee here, I have at least a dozen of them that all cast very well. I would suggest also looking at MP molds for 9mm and .38 casting. They are about $30 more than Lee’s six cavity molds but with MP you get 8 cavities and they are higher quality.

Boolit Grand Master

With a 6-cavity mould you want a large capacity bottom pour , at least 20 pound capacity .
    Otherwise you waste too much time waiting for lead to melt .
    Another member uses two pots ... casting from one while the other pot melts a fresh fill and gets up to temperature ,

I don't use a bottom pour pot , I pressure cast with a Lyman spouted dipper ...
    NOE 3 and 4 cavity moulds have spoiled me , Lee is like driving a old Chevy ...that needs a paint job , brake job and engine overhaul
    NOE is like driving a brand new Lexus
    That said ...most of my moulds are old 2 cavity chevy's and 1 cavity Lyman .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    With a 6-cavity mould you want a large capacity bottom pour , at least 20 pound capacity .
    Otherwise you waste too much time waiting for lead to melt .
    Another member uses two pots ... casting from one while the other pot melts a fresh fill and gets up to temperature ,

I don't use a bottom pour pot , I pressure cast with a Lyman spouted dipper ...
    NOE 3 and 4 cavity moulds have spoiled me , Lee is like driving a old Chevy ...that needs a paint job , brake job and engine overhaul
    NOE is like driving a brand new Lexus
    That said ...most of my moulds are old 2 cavity chevy's and 1 cavity Lyman .
    Gary
    A new Lexus with no door handles.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    All my molds are Lee's, I have one 6 cavity for 9m.m. and it does what it's supposed to.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    Preheat the molds on a Hot Plate, better for the mold not cutting 6 cold sprues.

I've been using the 6 cavity style with 6 and 8 cavity MP Molds for a while. I got my first Lee 6c this year. It is smaller, lighter and there is a slight variation in bullet diameter between cavities that's close enough for pistol. MPs are worth the extra bucks if it's something you cast a lot. My new 35-200 is 8 cavity! There's 40 lbs waiting to be sorted and gas checked. LOL
    do above also i cast a few then hand lap the holes removes all the "fuzz" from machining and they they drop like rain.

Boolit Master

I have lots of Lee’s, they cast well and the 3rd handle for the cam action sprue plate is great. That said, when you get the money treat yourself to a brass MP mold, they are works of art and a joy to cast. His fit and finish are superb and the hollow point, hollow base pin system works great. Tim

two six-cav. Lee molds at hand and a 20 lbs. bottom pour are the faster and better upgrade, for me, if I can plan to use the same batch of alloy for the same caliber.
    fine enough for my needs and they have never given problems for twenty years to date, whereas in the beginning i had no other teachers or mentors except the R. Lee handbook_
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Bub
    I just got the lee 6cav. .45 200gr tl. They drop great very few rejects and powder coated, man o man do they shoot good.

Quote Originally Posted by machinest-man View Post
    Has anyone used Lee 6 cavity molds (Aluminum Type)? Are they worth getting I am using for shooting not selling the bullets I mold? I am doing 9MM, 45 and 38.
    I've been using the 6 banger for the 9mm .356 124gr TL boolit for years, does a great job.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I have several also ,358 ,.401 ,.452 , 00B .

I buy my NOEs in 5c , 4 if I want w/w/o checks , I wish they had the sprue handle .

I have a Lyman 4 cav ....... 100 gr 25 cal is hard to keep hot .

I have an 8cav H&G #130 it too is hard to keep hot .
    In all I have at least 7-8 moulds that suck up 2000-2500 gr per pour . This may be the year I spring for the bottom pour .
    I will +1 for a 20# pot with the 6s even a bottom pour in the bigger moulds like some of mine would only get 60 pours and be empty . I can only ladle about 15# so that only ends up being about 45 pours before I have to reload , and wait .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

I just fired up a 6 cav .223 55 gr lee mold. Pulled it out of the box and hit it with some brake cleaner, set it on the pot to preheat while the lead was melting and while casting with it to get it up to temp it was cranking out perfect boolits in no time, I thought I was going to have trouble because of the small caliber but they filling out great and dropping free just opening the mold. Can't wait now to get things set for some serious casting in the next couple of days.

Boolit Buddy
    Na... It just means that you run with a comfortable cadence. Im not racing, im just enjoying the music and pouring some silver.

L. Bottoms

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
    They work great. Run two at a time, as one fills, the other cools
    What he said.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy
    I use several Lee molds and one of them is a 6-cav. One advantage to the Lee 6-cavs is the sprues are very shallow, so you use less lead per pour. I think an RCBS or Lyman ladle would be able to fill a 9mm 6-cav in one pour. The 45s—not so much, so that's something to consider if you use a dipper.

My 6-cav is a 55-grain boolit. It needs fast casting to stay hot, but the larger boolits may keep enough heat in the mold to run two of them like some have said. On the other end of the spectrum, I have a Lee 405-gr boolit mold (2-cav) that requires some babying to keep it from getting too hot!

Boolit Buddy
    I have three and very happy with them. Lots of good bullets quick!
    TF

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast