Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Another charcoal question

Boolit Master

Another charcoal question

I realize there are lots of ways to make charcoal - but we are under a burn ban where I live and no hopes of it lifting anytime soon. I have an old, fairly large ceramics kiln with a PID controller and was considering setting it up inside my welding shop to make charcoal using steel paint cans. The electrical demand cost will be more expensive than a brush pile outside but less than propane.

I can also control the temp within a reasonable range - figure the worst that can happen is to smoke up the fire brick inside the kiln. The lid can also be propped open to let the smoke out; I can run a high fire cycle every so often and burn that out, if the soot becomes excessive.

Has anyone done this or see a problem with this concept?

It sounds like it would work. The old Ulrich Bretscher website indicates that 400C (750F) is the optimum temperature -

https://web.archive.org/web/20170428.../charcoal.html

I have made small batches in a lead-melting pot, with a sheet metal lid resting on top. Smoke can escape, but the lid's weight keeps air out. When the black smoke dwindles away, the charcoal is ready.
    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto."

- Thomas Jefferson

You seem to have lost your way brother. Please allow me to guide you back to the Temple of Gunpowder Makers. Be forewarned brother, straying from the safety of the Temple is dangerous for much misinformation abounds and there are many naysayers, non-believers and heretics who will dissuade you from your enlightenment.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...powder/page308

Others have used kilns. I use 2 paint cans inside a modified gas grill. Any temp above 600F is too hot,this is discussed in depth in the link. They, we can reference you to specific reasons, matter of fact science and such. They aren't just schmucks playing guessing games or regurgitating bad info as the internet often does, they are chemists and other smart guys, guys doing real research. I've been at this powder thing for 20 years and doing science (writing things down and testing hypothesis) for 6 years.

In 20 years of making powder, searching far and wide, lurking in the darkest recesses of the internet, no other group or forum, not even the dedicated "pyro" forums have gone to the extent these guys have in this science. Best to ask there, they've already done this and know what you face.
    Last edited by Brimstone; 10-12-2022 at 07:16 PM. Reason: I Kant spL.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
    You seem to have lost your way brother. Please allow me to guide you back to the Temple of Gunpowder Makers. Be forewarned brother, straying from the safety of the Temple is dangerous for much misinformation abounds and there are many naysayers, non-believers and heretics who will dissuade you from your enlightenment.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...powder/page308

Others have used kilns. I use 2 paint cans inside a modified gas grill. Any temp above 600F is too hot,this is discussed in depth in the link. They, we can reference you to specific reasons, matter of fact science and such. They aren't just schmucks playing guessing games or regurgitating bad info as the internet often does, they are chemists and other smart guys, guys doing real research. I've been at this powder thing for 20 years and doing science (writing things down and testing hypothesis) for 6 years.

In 20 years of making powder, searching far and wide, lurking in the darkest recesses of the internet, no other group or forum, not even the dedicated "pyro" forums have gone to the extent these guys have in this science. Best to ask there, they've already done this and know what you face.
    I have read that entire thread - even posted once or twice.

The low end on this kiln is about 300, so I should be able to hold anything above that limit. I have some red cedar to cook and may try it this weekend.

Boolit Master
    Please post your final powder outcome and if it turns out to be good weapon grade?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    Please post your final powder outcome and if it turns out to be good weapon grade?
    Will do.