MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Wideners

Thread: Remington 510 Bolt, Loose Handle

Boolit Master

Remington 510 Bolt, Loose Handle

Alright 510 Guru's, received purchased bolt today for recently acquired incomplete rifle, patina, function and headspace could not be more perfect. The one little thing about it is the wiggly bolt handle, and I know of and familiar with the staking in hole run. Question is has anybody performed any other magic to "fix" this issue? I have read they are threaded and staked? Silver solder it maybe? My other rifle is as tight as it can be, but not this one and the wiggly bolt handle just will not, and cannot be left alone.

they were never threaded on originals - any heat will soften lug + cause premature wear on its contact with receiver - some have tried crazy glue in hole - staking has always worked for me on bottom side of lug that holds the handle there should be a hole if it is original [ the repro ones do not have the hole ] - place a close fitting punch in hole , support lug on hard surface + a few taps on punch with hammer will tighten it up - easier to do with a helper holding bolt body - how did you test headspace ? - did you check firing pin indent depth + shape on an empty case ? -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    I have a piece of aluminum made up years ago with #1 holes (.228") drilled and used a Dial/Stand for checking rims. Bolt face was double checked by a depth gauge and feeler gauges with straight edge on bolt face. I also have shim stock starting at .001" and with the cartridge sitting under extractors on face there is a loose .012" capable clearance between face and base. Bolt face cut is .032", made shims starting at .002"/.004"/.006" to slide under base. Working out finding the .006" was a NO-GO, made a .005" and that was REALLY, REALLY tight. That by my math puts me close enough to .046". If I am correct on the .043"-.051" thing the old gun here and the used bolt from there turned out to be a pretty good lucky okay? Firing pin visually extends to body face and with flat clean face (no peening) and no visible banging seen on chamber face. Going to kiss muzzle with 11 degrees and do a range run. If found worthy I will be tearing down bolt when I tear down all after range run for stock and metal finish clean up work.
    Last edited by Gtek; 10-12-2022 at 07:42 PM.

SAAMI specs call for .043 -.046 - use of automotive plasti guage strips would have saved you some time + effort in your measuring
    - i would still check firing pin ident on case rims , protrusion from bolt does not account for vast variations in case heads -most serious shooters measure case rims by inserting cartridge in a fired .223 case + measuring with calipers - the variance between manufactures + even same case lots will amaze you - it is also wise to check pin protrusion after cleaning bolt interior , i find some with lots of build up affecting pin travel + too long replacement pins installed - like i stated in numerous builds + repairs i have only had three that required adjustment - let us know how it shoots - i have found that 11degree crown has shown no improvement over standard - greatest improvement in accuracy is a shim placed in barrel channel 1" back from tip - upward pressure on barrel + consistently tightened single action screw really helps -
    https://www.rimfirecentral.com/threa...5-teen.592786/
    Last edited by schutzen-jager; 10-13-2022 at 08:37 AM. Reason: addendum
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    Yes Sir, she swims a little up front in channel with action secured in, was already contemplating the approach there. FP sitting flush to bolt face which is at .032", do you have known min/max protrusion numbers?

rather then check protrusion which can vary greatly , check position , profile , + depth of strike on a fired case - also check reliability of ignition on different brands of ammo -
    for a channel shim i use a section cut from old hard plastic 35mm film containers , just make sure that any shim you use does not compress easily -

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    "old hard plastic 35mm film containers" What's that? Just kidding, you are showing our age maybe . I have told everybody I know to look for hard disk for me so I can rob the spring for all my Marlin triggers.

76 years old + if i knew i would live this long i would have taken better care of myself - many of my Remington .22's + others are much older than me + still perform perfectly !

as they say in latin