Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bad Groups in 45-70

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Vertical stringing, decrease powder, horizontal stringing, increase powder.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Heat issue the barrel is walking so to speak. Check your fore arm screw. Take the forearm off do the same shooting resting the barrel on the sandbag the same. Difference ? Barrel and forearm related no difference? Maybe load related.

Had a savage one time ran all consecutive shoots high. Fore arm screw was to long putting upward pressure on the barrel. The fact you say this is consistent my suggestion as the barrel gets warmer the the shots are stringing. Try the above let’s see if there is any difference?

Boolit Buddy
    Today I took it out with the same three loads to try again. Did not even clean the barrel since yesterday. First group in center, second group on right, third group on left which is the same load as yesterday that was terrible, is terrible today. Bottom line, bad load. I think I was starting each time before with this load, and it made it appear that it was another problem. Today I ran that load last and it still opened up. Will do some more with these two loads. Would like to tighten them up some. The barrel slugs at .458. I am shooting .460 bullets. Wallace
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TARGET 2.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    So, what was the bad load, and what was the better load?

Boolit Buddy
    The bad group is 13 gr of Green Dot. The other two groups, 13 gr of Unique in middle and 35.3 gr of 3031 on right.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    If you are starting with a cleaned bore, then there is no lube in front of the first fired bullet, and will get progressively better as each round is fired. Try shooting without cleaning it every time you put the gun away. That would prove or disprove the above. I think most people overclean barrels anyway, unless they are using black powder.
    What does your barrel slug at?
    My thoughts too, it's the lube

Boolit Buddy
    I would try 5744 or Shooters World Buffalo.

I’d sure try some red dot, blue dot and 700x. If you keep your barrel clean make sure you shoot 2 shots before you take it hunting. You’ve received lots of good ideas. Might try starting with loads at 1000 fps or less and see what happens. I just use published data to get 1000 fps.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by wallacem View Post
    The bad group is 13 gr of Green Dot. The other two groups, 13 gr of Unique in middle and 35.3 gr of 3031 on right.
    Forget the green dot load. try increasing the unique load another grain, and the 3031 upto 38gr in 1/2 grain increments. Groups may tighten up.
    3031 is a bit slow of a powder. Depending on lube and bullet, 34gr of imr4198 would be better.
    Your current unique load should be shooting better than what you are getting.
    If your bullets are plain based lead, they should be good up to 1350fps, again depending on lube and bullet.

One other thing not mentioned is powder position. A 45-70 case is large and the volume of 13 grains of Unique is small in comparison. Try leveling the powder by holding the cartridges horizontally and gently sliding them back and forth so the powder is evenly distributed.

Boolit Buddy
    Try sizing to .459, my handi-rifle is a tack driver. When I first bought it at the time all i used was the Hornaday lever revolution with the 325 ftx. After handloading for a few years now, Hornaday brass is shorter, some cast bullets in standard size brass will not fully chamber, but will with Hornady brass. I also own a Marlin 1895 the chamber is slightly longer in it. Both like bullets sized to .459 and powder coat.
    Retired: school of hard knocks
    NRA Lifer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Midohhntr View Post
    Try sizing to .459, my handi-rifle is a tack driver. When I first bought it at the time all i used was the Hornaday lever revolution with the 325 ftx. After handloading for a few years now, Hornaday brass is shorter, some cast bullets in standard size brass will not fully chamber, but will with Hornady brass. I also own a Marlin 1895 the chamber is slightly longer in it. Both like bullets sized to .459 and powder coat.
    If you PC after sizing 459 you are most likely shooting 460 /Ed

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    If you PC after sizing 459 you are most likely shooting 460 /Ed
    I PC before sizing.. I should have clarified..
    Retired: school of hard knocks
    NRA Lifer

Boolit Buddy
    Just a thought. Are you crimping the case to bullet when loading? It could be that it takes two shots to build up a little crude to hold the bullet a micro second so you get a consistent powder ignition.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by wallacem View Post
    Hey guys, Please help solve this grouping problem with my NEF 45-70. See target. Shooting 405 gr cast sized .460, shoots great in my other guns. Shooting here at 50 yds. This load here is 13 gr Green Dot and with cold barrel, first shot very low. Second shot high, next four shots connected together. Does this every time, starting with cold bbl.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8D0C8616-717E-47ED-B0F3-AB2298CDBAE6.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	305627

My 30-30 H&R topper does the same thing with powder coated and gas checked bullets

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sloughfoot View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8D0C8616-717E-47ED-B0F3-AB2298CDBAE6.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	305627

My 30-30 H&R topper does the same thing with powder coated and gas checked bullets
    Glass bed the forearm the issue will go away.

Another thing to try is to keep your hand between the forend and the front sandbag.
    Like a natural rested field position. I shoot all two piece stocked rifles like that.
    I dont think that I'm alone, either.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12