MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: 32 S&W Long Chrono Results

Boolit Buddy

32 S&W Long Chrono Results

I thought I'd share my chronometer results for 32 S&W Long, in case anyone has an interest. This was a Brass Arsenal Mold .32 98 Gr SWC Keith. I powder coated using Powder By The Pound. These were fired from a Charter Arms Undercoverette with 2" barrel. Starline brass. Accurate No 5 powder. CCI 500 primer. Load data was from the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, 4th Edition; Saeco #326 100 gr. ProChrono chronograph.

I am not that great of a shot. I was kneeling shooting off hand. It appeared to me that accuracy improved as velocity increased, with 3.5 gr and 3.6 gr being roughly equal.

I hope to get around to loading for the 32 H&R Magnum. Lyman shows the same powder charges with a 1" longer barrel, getting different results.

Name: 32 S&W Long 3.6 gr Accurate No 5
    Notes: Arsenal 98 grain LSWC
    Charter Arms Undercoverette 2 inch
    Shots: 6
    Average: 776 ft/s
    SD: 10 ft/s
    Min: 764 ft/s
    Max: 791 ft/s
    Spread: 27 ft/s
    Power Factor Average: 76
    Power Factor Low: 74
    Power Factor High: 77
    Barometric Pressure: 30.2 in Hg
    Temperature: 84F
    Weight: 98 gr.
    Powder : 3.6 gr Accurate No 5
    Primer : CCI 500
    Bullet : Arsenal Mold 32 cal 98 gr Keith
    C.O.L.: 1.190”
    Trim to Length : 0.910”

Name: 32 S&W Long 3.5 gr Accurate No 5
    Average: 764 ft/s
    SD: 16 ft/s
    Min: 741 ft/s
    Max: 784 ft/s
    Spread: 43 ft/s
    Power Factor Average: 74
    Power Factor Low: 72
    Power Factor High: 76
    Powder : 3.5 gr Accurate No 5
    Primer : CCI 500 small pistol
    C.O.l.: 1.190”

Name: 32 S&W Long 3.4 grain Accurate No 5
    Average: 740 ft/s
    SD: 12 ft/s
    Min: 722 ft/s
    Max: 757 ft/s
    Spread: 35 ft/s
    Power Factor Average: 72
    Power Factor Low: 70
    Power Factor High: 74
    Powder : 3.4 gr Accurate No 5

Name: 32 S&W Long 3.3 grain Accurate No 5
    Notes: Arsenal 32 gr LSWC
    Average: 704 ft/s
    SD: 9 ft/s
    Min: 687 ft/s
    Max: 716 ft/s
    Spread: 29 ft/s
    Power Factor Average: 69
    Power Factor Low: 67
    Power Factor High: 70
    Powder : 3.3 gr Accurate No 5

Name: 32 S&W Long 3.2 grain Accurate No 5
    Shots: 5
    Average: 682 ft/s
    SD: 10 ft/s
    Min: 675 ft/s
    Max: 703 ft/s
    Spread: 28 ft/s
    Power Factor Average: 66
    Power Factor Low: 66
    Power Factor High: 68
    Primer : CCI 500
    Powder : 3.2 gr Accurate No 5
    Bullet : 32 cal Arsenal Mold 98 gr Keith

Name: 32 S&W Long 3.1 gr Accurate No 5
    Charter Arms Undercoverette, 2 inch barrel
    Average: 679 ft/s
    SD: 14 ft/s
    Min: 655 ft/s
    Max: 693 ft/s
    Spread: 38 ft/s
    Power Factor Average: 66
    Power Factor Low: 64
    Power Factor High: 67
    Primer: CCI 500 small pistol
    Powder : 3.1 gr Accurate No 5

Boolit Master

Good post very well written.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy

Cool

… I hope to get around to loading for the 32 H&R Magnum. Lyman shows the same powder charges with a 1" longer barrel, getting different results.
    The .32 Magnum case is longer, so the same powder charge in the larger volume case will give lower velocities. My 4” .32 Magnum Ruger produces 909 fps with a very similar bullet over 4.5 grains of AA-5. I usually load a bit hotter in the magnum, but the AA-5 load is pretty accurate.

Boolit Master
    Well done, sir. Thank you for the write-up!
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    How do you like that little pistol? Did you get aluminum or steel frame? 5 or 6 shot?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by PositiveCaster View Post
    The .32 Magnum case is longer, so the same powder charge in the larger volume case will give lower velocities. My 4” .32 Magnum Ruger produces 909 fps with a very similar bullet over 4.5 grains of AA-5. I usually load a bit hotter in the magnum, but the AA-5 load is pretty accurate.

You would think that would be the case but...
    For the 32 Mag Lyman said they used a 5" test barrel vs a 4" S&W revolver for the 32 Long. In the Lyman book they show higher velocities for 32 Mag. That's why I want to load it and see what happens.

I did write to Lyman's and question it. They told me what is printed is correct but they'll take a look at it the next time they test that caliber.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
    How do you like that little pistol? Did you get aluminum or steel frame? 5 or 6 shot?
    The Undercoverette is the 6 shot; at the moment I don't recall the model name of their 5 shot version. They now have a 7 shot version in the Professional. Charter says the entire frame is stainless. I forget what they call the trigger guard/grip frame assembly, but that is aluminum. That aluminum assembly holds the works inside the stainless frame. I'm pretty sure that all their newest guns (the ones made Shelton, CT) are the same.

I picked up my very first revolver last year; a used .22LR. This 32 is my second and a couple of weeks ago I bought a third; 44 Special. The 22 and 44 are target models with a 4.2" barrel and adjustable sights. I'm not sure why but I'm developing a strong liking for revolvers. So far, I like this thing. It is very light, about 16 oz. After first getting it, I was doing quite a bit of dry firing, trying to smooth things out. The transfer bar broke. Charter offers a lifetime warranty for the original buyer, so I called them. They sent out a label and I shipped it back to them. They replaced the transfer bar and polished up the insides very nicely. All the grittiness was removed from the trigger. Occasionally there is a little bit of stacking, but I think that is only on one chamber (I don't know how to determine which). Overall I like it. I haven't been able to find any 32 H&R ammo for it, so its all been 32 Long to this point. I do now, however, have 300 H&R cases from Starline. So I'm looking forward to seeing how it likes those.
    Last edited by billmc2; 10-12-2022 at 12:31 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    … For the 32 Mag Lyman said they used a 5" test barrel vs a 4" S&W revolver for the 32 Long. In the Lyman book they show higher velocities for 32 Mag. That's why I want to load it and see what happens..
    What Lyman book are you using? My 48th Edition does not show the same charges of AA-5 for both cartridges. Neither does it show data for a nominal 98-grain cast bullet. Regardless, different barrel lengths and especially a revolver versus a SAAMI-spec test barrel will give different results even with the same cartridge and load. Plus the data was possibly collected with different powder lots etc. Your observations seem to me to be within normal ranges for reloading data.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by PositiveCaster View Post
    What Lyman book are you using? My 48th Edition does not show the same charges of AA-5 for both cartridges. Neither does it show data for a nominal 98-grain cast bullet. Regardless, different barrel lengths and especially a revolver versus a SAAMI-spec test barrel will give different results even with the same cartridge and load. Plus the data was possibly collected with different powder lots etc. Your observations seem to me to be within normal ranges for reloading data.

Load data was from the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, 4th Edition

Boolit Grand Master
    There is so much variation between bore size of the plethora of .32 revolvers (not to mention throat size or cylinder gap) that I am surprised t just how close velocities from different guns and testers are. It is almost as bad as the difference between .38-55 rifles.

Luckily sizing to 0.313" seems to work for most of mine, both .32 S&W Long and H&R Magnum cartridges.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Glad yours is working. I bought an Undercoverette 6 shot (73220) in April and it wouldn't reliably fire DA. Went back 3 times and was eventually replaced by another with the same problem. In my opinion their warranty is useless but if you can get a working gun its a great design.

Blue32,

What brand of brass have you been using in yours? I had similar issues when using Starline 32 H&R brass. I got some Remington 32 Long brass and it worked much, much better.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Buddy
    I have Starline brass for both S&W Long an H&R Mag. I haven't yet loaded the H&R Mag to try it. I now have 100 brass and 200 nickle H&R brass.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Four-Sixty View Post
    Blue32,
    What brand of brass have you been using in yours? I had similar issues when using Starline 32 H&R brass. I got some Remington 32 Long brass and it worked much, much better.
    Starline for reloads. Fiocchi, Magtech, and Aguila longs for factory. Both misfire on all brands every cylinder and not always the same chamber.

Boolit Buddy
    Here is the link to my 32 H&R Magnum results:
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...44#post5474744

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by billmc2 View Post
    I thought I'd share my chronometer results for 32 S&W Long, in case anyone has an interest. This was a Brass Arsenal Mold .32 98 Gr SWC Keith. I powder coated using Powder By The Pound. These were fired from a Charter Arms Undercoverette with 2" barrel. Starline brass. Accurate No 5 powder. CCI 500 primer. Load data was from the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, 4th Edition; Saeco #326 100 gr. ProChrono chronograph.
    Good write up. I also have a few Charter .32 Magnums, including the Undercoverette and Professional. It seems they had a bad run of .32 revolvers in 2021 and the problems showed up for a couple years due to stock being sold after the fact. I had a stainless steel-frame Undercoverette that had a misaligned cylinder, which was repaired, and then continual misfires. Charter ended up replacing the revolver with the newer aluminium-frame Undercoverette which has shot very well. I purchased the concealed hammer version a few months ago and it also shoots very well and reliably.

I've used 4.5 grains of Accurate No.5 in .32 SWL with 100 grain cast bullets with no apparent ill effects in steel frame S&W and Colt revolvers. I also used Starline brass and Pro Chrono @ 10 feet. Primer is Rem 1-1/2. Velocity in my 4" Colt PP average 930 fps, and in my 3" S&W Model 31-2 average 870 fps. These results have been consistent over time, but are much slower than expected based on your progression (~100 fps per 0.5 grains), especially since you are using a 2" barrel. Not sure how to explain that.