WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: In need of some long underwear

Boolit Buddy

In need of some long underwear

What type, style, brand of long underwear do you wear? Do you have e a favorite place you like to order from? Thanks, Bruce.

Boolit Master
    Im going to assume thats a genuine question and not something kinky......
    long johns is an old name for the pants version..thermals a more modern one...
    lots of folks swear by merino wool ones.....no good for me,I break out in tiny pimples all over NOT IDEAL...
    postie plus is a retail store over here...they do both long thermal pants and long and short sleeved tops and price is only $15-20 per item...so I dont cry too much if rip them on brambles.
    a lot of NZ outdoors folk will wear the longjohns with short rugby type shorts over top for decorum sake....
    great for hunting as full leg movement without pants slowing you down,ok in hotter months too as stop sun burning legs.

Boolit Grand Master

How much do you want to spend and for what temps? For warmer temps and activities I've switched from the old cotton to Poly blend. For colder temps wool like Smart Wool I highly recommend but you will pay for it. For very cold sedentary like a deer blind I start with this https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/4735...nion-suit-mens.

As always, in keeping warm in cold weather laying is the most important. You'd be surprised at how warm you can stay with long underwear, wool sweater and light wool jacket with a light fleece vest. Snowshoeing at -30 was no challenge.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    How much do you want to spend and for what temps? For warmer temps and activities I've switched from the old cotton to Poly blend. For colder temps wool like Smart Wool I highly recommend but you will pay for it. For very cold sedentary like a deer blind I start with this https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/4735...nion-suit-mens.

As always, in keeping warm in cold weather laying is the most important. You'd be surprised at how warm you can stay with long underwear, wool sweater and light wool jacket with a light fleece vest. Snowshoeing at -30 was no challenge.
    Yes, but snowshoeing is hard work! I know, I've done it. Very different than sitting in a tree stand in the wind. Look to the northern suppliers, around here (growing zone 8) no one carries them.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    LL Bean since cabelas went to Hell. I have a couple pair each (tops and pants) of Medium and Heavy Weight. Really helps!
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    I've used the LL Bean River Drivers henley type forever - Duofold - cotton in the inside and wool on the outside.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master
    Was stationed at Ft Leavenworth for three years so familiar with the weather in the KC area. Big question is what activites will you be engaged in; sitting in a deer stand, walking the woods, etc? Just moving about the medium weight cotton thermals were fine, sitting on the cold days poly-pro under insulated pants worked well, and poly-pro under regular pants for temps in between. A lot also depends on your tolerance to cold as well. It's not just the underwear that keeps you comfortable, a good hat, footwear, gloves and outerwear that stops the wind are key parts of keeping warm.

Boolit Master
    Poly-proline, keeps you dry, different weights, from very thin to very heavy, also gloves liners and socks, Walmart carried them ?
    I am allergic to wool , so these are what I must use. I do not perspire, I sweat.

Boolit Buddy
    My job takes me from warm to cold and sometimes really cold, I used to wear thermals but had to endure being hot before I got to the cold and comfortable, I was at Costco and they had some undergarments by the brand of 32degrees, I believe that they are a polyester/lycra blend, really comfortable when it's warm out and also work when it's cold out, been very happy with them.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Buddy
    I'd go with a heavyweight Poly/wool blend. Several manufacturers out there. Look for a vendor in a cold state, upper tier of states in central U.S. Couple them with a good, solid pair of heavyweight wool pants and if needed use a pair of wind-breaking overpants (Gortex or something similar).

Move to California, It hasn't even snowed where I live in over 20 years !

Good Shooting

Lindy

Moderator Emeritus

I liked silk but they wear at the seams easily. I go with a very light thin poly-propoline for temps down to minus 15. Wool pants or bibs are the staples on top.If it gets really cold and I need to be out a medium poly goes over the light stuff. Costco sells some, so does most sporting good stores.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

I used to sear by wool, but the poly what ever is about 1/2 the cost of wool-wool mix and just as warm and easier to wash. Layers is key, loose fitting with cuffs. Snowshoeing in heavy powder requires minimal ( if any) clothing and certainly not a sheepskin coat. Sitting in a tree stand at 30 below requires either a sheepskin coat or full down bag.

Boolit Master

Don't buy used at the thrift store. Just eweeeeeeee!

Boolit Grand Master
    I agree stump sitting for whitetails gets mighty cold
    thanks for the link just ordered a pair
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Go check in at a homeless shelter for a night. They’ll give you a pair for free (give them the sniff test before you wear them though). Seriously, try some polar fleece from someplace like Rocky. They come in different weights to match your needs. Light, medium, and heavy. They’re the best I’ve found so far. They actually hold up for several seasons and wash up without shrinkage.

Boolit Master
    I like to use the military polypropylene underwear. Keeps me warm without weighing me down. A local surplus store sells them for about $5 each. They are a lot more comfortable than the wool cotton military underwear.

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    Polypropylene is good, as others have said.

Tip: when you launder them, do not put them in the dryer. Hang them to dry. They shrink something awful in the dryer.
    The enemy of good is better.