RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Universal depriming die?

I only have Lee dies and quite a few plus the universal. I have never had a problem or broke any...oh never mind.

I have both the Lee and the RCBS small decap dies. The RCBS can be a pain to get the decap pin lined up initially, but once it is they both work fine.

Sam Sackett

Lee univ. d. die mounted on a Lee Reloader press as permanent combo.
    cheap, and 22 years without problems.
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

The only alternative I will offer is Frankford Arsenal does make a depriming hand tool. Quickly and easily adjusts with 3 plastic collets from pistol brass up to full sized rile rounds.

I like it because.

A I can use it in the living room while watching TV or Youtube.
    B After depriming its a slam dunk to give the whole batch a citric acid wash and rinse.
    C After that I like to run a brush into primer pockets to clean them.
    D Then each piece of brass gets rolled on a towel laying on my leg. This final step catches all splits and problem children who go into the recycle pile.
    While rolling brass are sorted into caliber, then dried. Clean and dry they are ready to go through my dies to be prepped for the next load.

E My dies have never been happier.

F I don't tumble or polish. I'm not that OCD about my brass, yet. A good citric acid was lets me see down the inside clear to the flash hole.
    Outsides may not look new, but I don't have to be ashamed of them either.

And all of it falls into place as a dirrect result of the FA hand tool.

That being said I do also have the lee depriming tool, and it also works well. Just a matter of which one fits your process better.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    The only alternative I will offer is Frankford Arsenal does make a depriming hand tool. Quickly and easily adjusts with 3 plastic collets from pistol brass up to full sized rile rounds.

I like it because.

A I can use it in the living room while watching TV or Youtube.
    B After depriming its a slam dunk to give the whole batch a citric acid wash and rinse.
    C After that I like to run a brush into primer pockets to clean them.
    D Then each piece of brass gets rolled on a towel laying on my leg. This final step catches all splits and problem children who go into the recycle pile.
    While rolling brass are sorted into caliber, then dried. Clean and dry they are ready to go through my dies to be prepped for the next load.

E My dies have never been happier.

F I don't tumble or polish. I'm not that OCD about my brass, yet. A good citric acid was lets me see down the inside clear to the flash hole.
    Outsides may not look new, but I don't have to be ashamed of them either.

And all of it falls into place as a dirrect result of the FA hand tool.

That being said I do also have the lee depriming tool, and it also works well. Just a matter of which one fits your process better.
    +1 on the FA de-primer. You did leave out one important +, spent primers stay in the cup not on the floor.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Buddy
    I use the Lee Universal depriming tool. Bought 5 extra decapping pins just in case. I usually wash the brass first since it goes through my Hornady LnL in order to deprime. With a case feeder, it just goes so quickly. The press does have to be cleaned afterwards, but the process moves very quickly. Which is great for high volume (like 9, 40, 223)

Boolit Master

The Lee will accept fatter brass, like the 348 Win. RCBS doesn't.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wilecoyote View Post
    Lee univ. d. die mounted on a Lee Reloader press as permanent combo.
    cheap, and 22 years without problems.
    Ditto. And I still LOVE that decapping combination.

Boolit Master
    I like the Lee one. The other benefit is Lee has some center posts that are 'fatter' to fit the case being deprimed. Means the pin is almost always centered in the case. I ended up with a decap die for each of my pistol calibers, mounted on the turret for that caliber. (1st station decap, 2nd resize and prime, 3rd expand and charge, 4th seat bullet, 5th crimp)

Boolit Buddy
    lee. cheap. effective. a couple years ago i got a few for 12 bucks each so i have them in multiple toolheads and the lee APP.

Boolit Grand Master
    +1 for Lee Universal. It's been so long without any issues, I can't tell you how far back I started with one.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    After breaking the pins on several de-priming/sizing dies, I got a Lee and it’s worked great for me ever since.

+ another for the Lee Universal .

Broke the de-cap pin on my lee Universal (My fault) two weeks ago after several years of service and thousands rounds of brass ran through the die. Another lee fan of this lee Universal .

Boolit Master

I have used a lee for years. I keep half a dozen pin assembly's because by my own fault break or bend them when in a rush to decap a few thousand cases. Sometimes the stay together when you decap a Berdan primed but usually they buckle.

If I lost mine I would just but another Lee.

Boolit Buddy
    Check out Mighty Arrmory,s ,he has a good die with replaceable pins and what he calls a flicker spring , I de-prime los of military brass with crimped primers and needed something a bit more than the lee or RCBS

Boolit Master
    Fitz, have the same decapping die by Mighty Armory. Did buy extra large and small decapping pins though. Frank

Hard to beat the Lee. Works great for me.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
    Check out Mighty Arrmory,s ,he has a good die with replaceable pins and what he calls a flicker spring , I de-prime los of military brass with crimped primers and needed something a bit more than the lee or RCBS

Fitz and I are of the same opinion.
    I gave away both of my RCBS depriming dies after I bought a mighty armory.

Ymmv
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Fitz, Samari and fatnhappy, please expand on what makes the mighty armory better than the Lee. Not looking to be that guy, but really would like to know more about it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast