Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication

Thread: A Saturday well spent

A Saturday well spent

Spent the day loading for a new Shiloh 40-65, and shooting the 45-70 and 50-90 as well. Waiting for an MVA Soule and globe/level front to get here for the 40, but it still shot well with the buckhorn. I forgot how much the 50 pushes back off my straw bale bench.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FB_IMG_1665373530127.jpg   FB_IMG_1665373537180.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Great way to spend a Saturday. My favorite single shot rifle and I have many is a Rolling block in 40-65.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 40-65 rolling block 004.JPG  
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Buddy
    Mike, I can't shoot my Shiloh 50 2-1/2" SS off any kind of bench. I have a rebuilt right shoulder and the only way I can manage the Big Fifty is setting in a chair or on a stool and shooting off cross sticks. It still shoves me around pretty good but it doesn't jar my teeth and knock my glassed off like it did shooting over sandbags when I first got it. LOL

Dave
    Last edited by Dave T; 10-16-2022 at 05:53 PM.

Boolit Master

I have a 50-90 Sharps by Winchester in model 1885 with Kelly soule sights and with a 695 gr boolit and 100 gr of Swiss 1 1/2 it kicks like a mule. I thinking of selling it as my right shoulder joint is grating and crunching with the worn out parts I have. I was scheduled to have shoulder replacement surgery in may of 2020. It was not happening during covid. Now at 79 the docs do not want to have me endure the surgery and rehab necessary so I will soldier on with lortabs and ipuprofen.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

When I was a lot younger I owned and shot a lot of big bore rifles, 50-140 and 45-120 Sharps, a bunch of 375s and 458 magnums. The best way I found to shoot them was in a low sitting, crosslegged position. Keith called it the jackknife position, Marines I knew learned it as a low sitting, with your shoulders more in line with the target, and curled up around the rifle. Heavy recoil rolls you instead of just slamming you. The stupidest thing I ever owned was a 6.5 pound 458 magnum barreled by by Les Bauska. It was built for a Speer 400 gr flatpoint as a bear rifle and not meant for 500 gr loads, I shot some anyway and it was brutal.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Corrigan View Post
    I have a 50-90 Sharps by Winchester in model 1885 with Kelly soule sights and with a 695 gr boolit and 100 gr of Swiss 1 1/2 it kicks like a mule. I thinking of selling it as my right shoulder joint is grating and crunching with the worn out parts I have. I was scheduled to have shoulder replacement surgery in may of 2020. It was not happening during covid. Now at 79 the docs do not want to have me endure the surgery and rehab necessary so I will soldier on with lortabs and ipuprofen.
    My Dad was a long time trap shooter - had a reconstruction of his shooting shoulder when he was a tad over 80 - I thought he was mad but he cruised it . I took him to a big regional shoot when he was 91 - shot in a 50 target event (pulled a decent amount of second barrels so he probably let 70 or 75 off) won the oldest competitor prize. The shoulder took it ok.

Boolit Mold
    Dan - Are you planning on going away any time soon? If not, the shoulder surgery may be worth it. And for other things besides shooting too. At 60, I had my shoulder put back together. It was worth it despite plenty of pain and a year of recovery time. I know that's a considerable age difference, but still...

Boolit Bub
    I bad back, 73yrs.

Surgery if off limits.

Regards Mark

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Nothing like the smell of black powder in the morning. Or in the afternoon for that matter.

Boolit Bub
    "Nothing like the smell of black powder in the morning. Or in the afternoon for that matter"

Thanks Mark