WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Brenneke type slugs

Boolit Buddy

Brenneke type slugs

Anyone using the 12 ga. Brenneke type slugs in the blister pack from BPI??? Or, the "Thug Slugs" from BPI in 12 or 20 ga.???? Or, the 12 ga Brenneke looking slugs from Fiocchi????? Fiocchi's come in a pre loaded box of 10 rounds.

Thanks,
    JAMES
    JAMESGR

Yes I use the ones form BPI both new Red ones and the Thug Slugs. Teh red ones are more accurate out of a rifled barrel than the Thugs are! You don't have to run these at Warp speed to be effective.

You will find they are more accurate in the 1200-1300 fps range and will hurt just as bad.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    Well, which slugs are you using?? IIRC, someone posted they were trying the Brenneke type from BPI.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, Randy
    I ordered both types from BPI yesterday. I'm having absolutely no luck with Lyman or the A-S molds IN either 12 or 20 ga.. Smooth or rifled barrels.

Boolit Grand Master

Which Lyman and which AS-Molds?

If the Lyman Foster slug then no surprise! I couldn't keep them under about 12" groups at 50 yards unless paper patched.

I was looking at a couple of the AS-Molds slugs for screw on wads but didn't order.

What are the load details of what didn't work?

Longbow

Boolit Buddy
    Longbow, the AS slugs are the 12ga and 20 ga Grizzle Shock. The Lyman is the sabot slugs in 12 and 20 ga.
    I'm using a Rem 870 rifled barrel 12 ga. and a Mossberg rifled barrel 20 ga.
    Normal testing distance 50M.
    Longbow, I have a wide variety of powders and wads in both and have been testing the Lyman's for about 2 yrs. Repeatability is just not there.
    Same story with the AS slugs.
    I know you ask for loads details but I have a notebook full of loads that didn't work.
    Send me a pm with your address and I will send you some AS slugs in 12 and 20 ga.
    The best slugs that I'm shot through the years are the Brenneke slugs. Almost impossible to find, but they shoot great. That's why I started casting slugs, can't find the Brenneke slugs.
    Thanks Longbow for the reply
    JAMES
    JAMESGR

Boolit Grand Master

Can't help with 20 ga. except to say that I have read several posts that say the 20 ga. Lyman Sabot slug is not very accurate... I believe from smoothbore.

The 12 ga. Lyman Sabot slug has a pretty good reputation from smoothbore and very good reputation from rifled guns. Hogtamer has posted his successful load data using the Lyman Sabot slug in 12 ga. here:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ighlight=Lyman

Seems to me Megasupermagnum and Blood Trail also posted successful load data if you haven't seen it.

I have no personal experience with that slug.

As for the AS Grizzly that slug is for rifled barrels only if I recall so no screwing tailwads on like the Svarog version unless you drill... which you might want to try.

Longbow

Boolit Buddy
    Longbow your correct . To attach a wad base to the AS the hollow point the cavity has to be drilled. I don't remember the size bit I used but I used a #4 x 1/2" screw to attach the wad. Accuracy was not great in either ga. Hogtamer's states 3" at 100 yds.. I would love consistent 3" at 50 M.
    Thanks
    JAMES
    JAMESGR

Boolit Grand Master

Well, looks like you've seen the threads I thought might help so that's covered. I'm surprised you are having so much trouble.

Have you recovered wads and slugs to examine? Recovered wads and slugs generally have a story to tell.

Finding wads is pretty easy, slugs in useful condition much harder. Sand berms and snow are helpful there.

If you have recovered wads and/or slugs please post pics.

What alloy are you using for the Lyman sabot slugs? I doubt it would matter for the Grizzly solid slugs.

Longbow

Boolit Master

Here’s the loading data on the Lyman 525. Shot one @100 yds last week to check zero, still dead on. https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ight=lyman+525
    I’ve read the 20 ga version is undersized.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    I keep Brenneke factory loaded slugs for the 12 , 16 , 20 and 28 gauges on hand . Shot some 20’s in a circa 1969 Briwning A-5 20 gauge Magnum with an IC barrel today . They did very nicely .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    Here’s the loading data on the Lyman 525. Shot one @100 yds last week to check zero, still dead on. https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ight=lyman+525
    I’ve read the 20 ga version is undersized.
    I have an actual Lyman 20 gauge sabot slug mold . Granted I’ve only used them in smooth bore SxS’s they met my parameters nicely .

Boolit Master
    FWIW I have the Lyman sabot style slugs for all gauge 10 to 28 . The 10 , 16 and 28 were made by the Russians that sell on EBay , the 20 is a Lyman and my 12 is an NOE four cavity although I borrowed a Lyman 12 gauge before I got the NOE and still have a supply of the Lyman’s in a plastic container .

Can we post some pics of these slugs we are talking about? I get cornfused, and I already know most people don't have a clue what is being talked about?

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2280.jpg   100464896.JPG   100464872.JPG   100464871.JPG   100464870.JPG  

"It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Grand Master

Randy:

You missed my favourite slug, the Brenneke Classic:

I wish I could buy some! one day I will find some factory loaded rounds... well, I found some but not locally and too far to drive and of course required all the HAZMAT stuff for shipping. One day I will find some in a larger center and will pick them up while I am there!

Longbow

Kent: they actually do sell those slugs as components. I know they are readily available in Europe adn I have seen guys with them here in the US, Just don't know exactly who is selling them?

The Red Turkish Slugs are the closest thing I have seen to Brennekes. That's why I bought 40 of them. They are shaped right and the OD is .735 so they should work well in Rifled barrels or chokes.

Randy.

Now we're talking Brenneke... I did a small test today to see how my Brenneke-clone would do, loaded in short (2.40") hulls.

The distance was 40 yards and the gun was a scoped cyl. bore O/U. The slug weighs 1-1/4 ounce and the speed clocked at 1050 fps.
    For some reason the first shot struck quite low, while the following five made a nice 4" group. The flier opened the group to 6"

Since the idea, when I started the slug project years ago, was a dedicated smoothbore slug load to be used for driven wild boars
    I tried a few shots offhand - as seen on the second target. I used my O/U skeet gun, aiming over the rib and front bead.
    The three shot printed 6" - not all that bad as I'm a lousy offhand shooter. I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try on a boar within 50 yards.
    Later I will try the same load, but in a full length hull, and see if it makes a noticeable difference.

Cap'n Morgan

Capt: just to let you know, we got our Due Matic Traps up and running. Pretty good machinery!

Randy