Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Eddystone 1917 swivel issues

Boolit Mold

Eddystone 1917 swivel issues

Since the availability to get a rear sling attachment ( original ) has been a royal pain for me, looking to see if the all wise population here knows the answer to this :

Are the dimensions of a 1917 Eddystone & the dimensions of a 1903 Springfield rear sling attachment fitting the same ? As in " footprint " in the stock...

I know the Eddystone one is in the " offset " configuration, but that doesn't matter to me. Just re-converted an in herited sporterized 1917 back to military configuration, added it to my pre-WW1 collection of bolt action pieces. Not looking to spend a fortune on the rear swivel, so I'm wondering if the 03 Springy swivel will work in the recess already existing in the 1917 stock...anybody want to take a stab at this ?

I tried to research your intriguing question by looking at the GPC website and the product numbers for the various parts. All seem to be out of stock, which fact I'll bet you already knew. I'll bet that all are very similar in dimensions, but can't guarantee it. Having been tinkering with guns for many years, I have a parts drawer with several unlabeled rear swivels in it. I've referred to it many times and found that '98 Mauser, 1898 Krag, M1903 Springfield, 1914 and 1917 Enfields are all quite similar. Were your gun here, I believe we could find the right item. If I had the time, which right now I don't as it's firewood cutting season and the window is rapidly closing, I'd dig out a couple of rifle specimens from my accumulation and see if they if they'd swap. I can't guarantee it, but my feeling is that a Krag or Springfield would work.

DG

Boolit Mold
    So far you are the only one who replied..... >>>>FIRST !

OK, down to biz... I believe if I did a tracing of the exact opening and emailed the image to you that might help in calculating the proper sling swivel to fit. Or a photo with exact dimensions if that would help. I have my own time table to match right now as well....it's mule deer season here in about a week. I have to head out to Winthrop, Washington, about 3 hours away, on the 12th. Taking my 1908 Brazilian Mauser / rechambered to .308 Winchester ( did that in 1987 when I got it thru the Shotgun News ) , was done at the Springfield Armory before it closed. my absolute FAVORITE bang stick ! The Eddystone is going along as a backup, need to sight it in for first rounds after restoration. Have temp'd rigged a sling for it, but my iron sights Brazilian is the main deer killer for me.

If you are agreeable, my email is rebeldawg365@outlook.com, if you feel like pursuing this further with me. Oh, also just picked up a Chilean Modelo 1912 Steyr...also in 7.62 NATO, was done sometime around 1961-62, getting the barrel Ceracoated, rusty areas. Same gunsmith that did the Eddystone work doing the 1912 clean up. They are the gunsmiths of record for my Am Legion Post Honor Guard .

Fair winds & straight down range landings !

Buckinator / rebeldawg365 ... oh, PS, are you a 10th Mountain vet ? Name suggests that...or Bundeswehr vet ?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by rebeldawg365 View Post
    Since the availability to get a rear sling attachment ( original ) has been a royal pain for me, looking to see if the all wise population here knows the answer to this :

Are the dimensions of a 1917 Eddystone & the dimensions of a 1903 Springfield rear sling attachment fitting the same ? As in " footprint " in the stock...

I know the Eddystone one is in the " offset " configuration, but that doesn't matter to me. Just re-converted an in herited sporterized 1917 back to military configuration, added it to my pre-WW1 collection of bolt action pieces. Not looking to spend a fortune on the rear swivel, so I'm wondering if the 03 Springy swivel will work in the recess already existing in the 1917 stock...anybody want to take a stab at this ?
    If it was me, I'd contact Marc Wade or John Spangler at OldGuns -- https://oldguns.net/index.php -- where these both very knowledgeable and extremely professional gents both have a (literal) ton of 1917 parts, and even offer an exchange service where, say, you may post them a Remington part in exchange for same part of, say, Eddystone to complement your 1917.
    Be it vis telephone: (801) 947-9442 or eMail: https://oldguns.net/email/ my thought is if anyone can best help you it be John (U S Navy, retired) or Marc!!
    The link for the 1917 Parts Swap is: https://oldguns.net/catacc.php
    Best wishes!
    geo

I'll PM you my mailing address, or if you look at my profile there's a link "send e-mail". If you carefully trace the hole and send it to me I'm pretty sure we can find a match. I'll likely have the base and the loop, but maybe not the screws required to hold it onto the stock.

Good guesses! But Der Gebirgsjager is literally translated "The Mountain Hunter."

DG

The definitive answer is NO, unless you elongate the stock recess on the M1917. Both swivel bases are close in width 0.550" Springfield and 0.556 for the M1917, but the 03 Springfield's is 1.80" long and the M1917 Enfield's is only 1.550" long. The screw hole spacing is also different. 1.175" for the '03 and 1.015" for the M1917. You can make it work, but you will need to make the recess longer, plug the original holes and drill new ones. . 03 Springfield Left and M1917 Enfield Right.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3313.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	305439
    Last edited by muskeg13; 10-09-2022 at 03:41 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Outstanding info, sir ! You have enlightened me, as the previous posters also expanded my sources & resources...many thanks to all ! Might have to see if there is actually a 1917 swivel to be had in the aforementioned " supply depots ". If not, have Dremel, expand I shall.

Will have pix & firing report on the 1917 when I return...then the hunt for a bayonet for the thing. The Brazilian is already outfitted with one, came that way.

Just pacing the deck waiting for the Steyr to be done...

Boolit Buddy
    If you cannot find a Model of 1917 swivel the Pattern 1914 swivels and bases are the same. They appear to be more available in recent years to the large quantity of surplus Pattern 14 rifles being broken up for parts.

Quote Originally Posted by fjruple View Post
    If you cannot find a Model of 1917 swivel the Pattern 1914 swivels and bases are the same. They appear to be more available in recent years to the large quantity of surplus Pattern 14 rifles being broken up for parts.
    Absolutely correct! My M1917 started out life as a P14, but I needed to scavenge the barrel, bolt and magazine to construct a custom rimmed bolt gun. Most P14 and M1917 parts are interchangeable or can be made to be interchangeable with a little work.

Original bayonets are very pricey. If you can live with a reproduction, Atlanta Cutlery can provide a reasonable replacement, but it might take a while to have it made overseas (in India or Pakistan?) and have it shipped. Mine took almost a year, but it was worth the wait. I see the price has gone up a bit, but it's still a lot less than an original. I stripped the period correct OD paint off of the scabbard, making it look a P14 Bayonet, because I think it looks nicer. It's a repro, on a Frankenstein P14/M1917, so I don't care that much about authenticity, more about functionality. https://www.atlantacutlery.com/m-191...-with-scabbard

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3314.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	305489

Boolit Buddy
    I believe the P14 and the No1 MkIII SMLE used the same Rear swivel assembly.

So the SMLE assembly might fit the US M1917 I'm thinkin'...?

SMLE rear swivel assemblys are quite available and common still. Not expensive either.

Here's another sourse for the complete swivel and base.
    They seem to say that the SMLE, 1917 and Pat14 are the same

https://www.brpguns.com/28-30-31-fai...lete-assembly/