Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reduced Loads for my .45-70

Boolit Mold

Reduced Loads for my .45-70

I am planning on making up some reduced loads for my modern .45-70 Highwall using a 150 gr. cast bullet (Lyman #457130) and about 12 grains of Bullseye. This load is attributed to an older Lyman manual.

Does any one think that I am at risk of "ringing" my chamber?

Boolit Master
    I use an equivalent collar button load but with 8-10 grs of Red Dot; I put a small square of quilt batting on top of the charge. Never had any issues, recoil is light and extraction is easy. I think you could get into trouble with two or three round balls if the charge went off and the balls weren't touching, but a single projectile should not be a problem.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by LAPM9 View Post
    Does any one think that I am at risk of "ringing" my chamber?
    Like firing .22 shorts in a LR chamber-- clean it when you're done shooting them and you're good.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Next time you are in the gun powder store buy a couple cans of Trail Boss. It turns 45/70 into 22LR. From memory. 485 gr lead,10 gr Trail Boss yields 800 fps MV. 405 Lee maxs at around 1100. 330 gr Lee around 1200-1300. Trail Boss takes up lots of space.

Boolit Master
    The nice thing about the collar bullet designs is that they are only 150-200 grs. That's two shots for the price of a 405...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckiller View Post
    Next time you are in the gun powder store buy a couple cans of Trail Boss. It turns 45/70 into 22LR. From memory. 485 gr lead,10 gr Trail Boss yields 800 fps MV. 405 Lee maxs at around 1100. 330 gr Lee around 1200-1300. Trail Boss takes up lots of space.
    BUT when you look in manuals..the trailboss loads in this big case have MORE pressure than similar AR2208 loads.... and black smelly powder does similar thing a whole lot easier and a whole lot more fun... 150grns sounds VERY light for .45 calibre...what is it??? a round ball??? or very short sided mini???

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Milky Duck View Post
    BUT when you look in manuals..the trailboss loads in this big case have MORE pressure than similar AR2208 loads.... and black smelly powder does similar thing a whole lot easier and a whole lot more fun... 150grns sounds VERY light for .45 calibre...what is it??? a round ball??? or very short sided mini???
    Here you go!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yhst-15321267663876_2271_543789.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	305420

Boolit Master
    Collar buttons are fun to shoot I found an old ideal mold for them a while ago and use 6.0 grs of unique without filler at 25 yds its one ragged hole and not much bigger at 50 yds. The 1929 lyman Ideal manual I have suggests 9 grains of 2fg black powder for a collar button but I haven't gone to the darkside with them yet.

Boolit Grand Master

Suggest you drop back to 5 gr Bullseye and then work back up in 1 gr increments.

No filler or wad. No chance of ringing.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAPM9 View Post
    Here you go!

Name:	yhst-15321267663876_2271_543789.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	305420
    WOW thats hard case looking boolit.....they would be just the berries for smaller game...wonder if I can find any "down under"???

Boolit Master
    Lyman still lists it as in production so I guess the trick will be to find one in inventory someplace. NOE makes a copy and there on sale right now at 15% off regular price.

Boolit Master
    I am another fan of the collar button. Isn't CBE down your way? They might make a mold for it.

I checked their site and they do list a collar button.
    swamp
    Last edited by swamp; 10-08-2022 at 06:34 AM.
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Have you ever considered shooting black powder? It’s a lot of fun with less of a punch.

Boolit Grand Master

While my favorite and most used cast bullet is a 270 gr Rapine (460250) over 8 gr of Bullseye the better small game load is the Rapine 460210 over 6 gr Bullseye for 950 fps. It has a very deep HB with a very long bearing surface giving it excellent accuracy. It is very deadly as when cast of 40-1 alloy it will almost invert itself on small to medium size game, very deadly indeed. It's the left bullet.

Name:	DSC01091.JPE 
Views:	36 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	305431

Name:	DSC01092.JPE 
Views:	30 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	305432
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Anyone shooting a RB in their Trapdoor? I have a relatively mild 459-405-HB hunting load for it but would like a load using less alloy for plinking. I have the Lee .457 RB but may have to opening it up some. Maybe a harder alloy will cast a bit bigger. Haven't tried it yet.

Boolit Buddy
    I've shot round balls from my .45-70 Handirifle. It's been awhile but I think I used around 7 grains of Red Dot. Right now I'm waiting for the collar button molds to get back in stock at Midway before I make more light loads. I've also Teflon tape patched .452" 230g bullets for the same rifle with very good results...

Tony
    Hi, my name is Tony and I'm addicted to gunpowder.

AKA Geezerbiker

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NEKVT View Post
    Anyone shooting a RB in their Trapdoor? I have a relatively mild 459-405-HB hunting load for it but would like a load using less alloy for plinking. I have the Lee .457 RB but may have to opening it up some. Maybe a harder alloy will cast a bit bigger. Haven't tried it yet.
    Round balls don’t seem to be as accurate as collar buttons. I suspect it has to do with bearing surface inside the bore.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    The .458 RB should be about 150 gr . I've seen collar buttons advertised as light as 135 gr most are 165 gr .

I have an old Rapine mould , 458-201 that drops a .458 -255 RNFP probably intended for a 1st gen Colts SAA . I was surprised that it shot well run hard .

It may be blasphemy but most cast pistol bullets @ .453/4 paper patched work fine also and don't seem to mind a full tilt snort for a 45 Colts in the 45-70 case of powders like Unique.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast