RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Dipper for 6 Cavity Mold

Boolit Bub

Dipper for 6 Cavity Mold

Does anyone use a dipper for a 6 cavity mold. I am casting .490 round balls for my muzzleloader and have been using a Lee 2 cavity mold. It takes a while to cast balls and I use a dipper. I was thinking about ordering a 6 cavity or getting another 2 cavity to speed up the process. Which would be the best way to go?

Boolit Buddy
    I use a bottom pour pot for all of my 6 cavity molds. It is the fastest way for me to cast. While I enjoy casting, I don't want to spend any more time than I have to.

Get comfortable, and once you get a rythem going you should be able to drop from the 2 cavity about every 15-20 seconds.

Using a dipper- The 6 cavity doesn't really sound practical.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    I do use an RCBS dipper with my six cavity molds occasionally. It works well up to about 180-200 grain boolits with one dip. Doing a 250 or so, I fill three cavities then dip again.

It is not as fast as using a bottom pour pot, but it is doable.

I have never used a six cavity RB mold; but going by the way an old Lee two cavity works, once the mold is up to temp it should go fast.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    A bottom pour pot. If your lookin for speed its the safest. A ladle to hold enought to fill a 6 cavity in 1 go will be heavy. And fatigue will follow...

Boolit Master

I use a Rowell bottom pour ladle. Holds like 1 lb of lead. I pour a lot of .45 cal rifle bullets, and this ladle is ideal for the 4-cavity molds. Bottom pour prevents the floating trash from entering the mold. Does not seem to fatigue me. I've 79 years old too.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the insight. I am used to using a bottom pour for my 4 cavity molds. I have a smaller pot that I use for straight lead for my muzzleloader balls. It keeps me from emptying out the alloy from my bottom pour pot. I just started casting the round balls so am feeling my way through.

Boolit Master

I use a dipper for my 6 cavities, (in fact all my casting) and it works just fine. I pour 2 to 3 holes, whatever gives me good fill-out, get another dip from the pot, etc.

I have tried bottom pour, but being a knuckle-dragging caveman, I just do better with pouring from a ladle.

So to answer your question, YES, a ladle can work perfectly with 2, 3, or 6 cavity molds. It does for me. Whether it is best for you,...give it a try...
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by rigger View Post
    Does anyone use a dipper for a 6 cavity mold. I am casting .490 round balls for my muzzleloader and have been using a Lee 2 cavity mold. It takes a while to cast balls and I use a dipper. I was thinking about ordering a 6 cavity or getting another 2 cavity to speed up the process. Which would be the best way to go?
    My short experience with ladles started, in fact, with a six-cavity (for .38 S&W Special) H&G mould. I had a small RCBS or Ohaus (??) ladle -- the round one with a spout you fill, and then pour from the spout to fill cavities, with some instructional photos showing this ladle actually touching the mould as both are canted to fill cavities. I averaged two or three decent cavity fills before it became too cool to continue. I then was gifted a fairly huge cast iron ladle from a range buddy, and this worked like a charm!
    Hence -- what I'm suggesting is -- for me -- a ladle worked well for my 6 (and also an 8- cavity) H&G moulds -- *BUT* -- it was a rather large-sized ladle made of heavy cast iron required to enable this!
    Perhaps something you may consider when shopping?
    BEST!
    geo

Boolit Buddy
    I make my dippers out of used CO2 bottles, small ones for single and two cavity,larger ones used for charging home brew small barrels these would have more than enough in them for a 6 cavity mould,Drill out the spout end ,grind out a cavity at the rear, attach a handle and bobs your uncle!! Cant post pics from my iPad but can send to someone’s email.

Cheers Mal in au.

Boolit Grand Master

I just poured 3 and 3 with a Lyman dipper casting C360-180-RF from the group buy. It’s easy enough and goes quickly. If your small pot is 10 pounds or less, the double pour will empty it out in no time.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master

I use an RCBS dipper for all of my casting. The only thing that I would recommend is to shorten the handle by 2" as it gives much more control when pouring.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I too use an RCBS ladle. I pour 3 different moulds , a 3,6,&8 cavity , that take 16-1700 gr to fill the cavities plus sprue . That's pushing 3000 gr in the H&G #130 8cavity . I don't always make it in that one below half pot in the Lee 20# . I have a low reject rate in the NOE 3 cav 535 gr , 1600+ sprue probably about 2000 gr per pour .
    The 6 cav Lee 452-255 is 1600+ sprue too .
    The 6 cav 124 , 158 , and 175 gr I don't have any trouble making the pours .
    The .454 RB is only 141 gr , the .490 is 180 gr , and once hot in my experience they should run pretty easy as long as you keep the top of the mould and sprue plate hot .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .