Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Match Grade Brass? Which brand?

Match Grade Brass? Which brand?

So a friend and I have started the quest for the most accurate sub-sonic 308 cartridge.

We are working with a 200 grain NOE mold, and are also going to try some j-words.

I’ve hear of people weighing their brass etc to get the most consistent volumes in the case.

What BRAND do you Reccomended I start with? Lapua, star-line, RP ? I am wide open to your helpful suggestions.

BNE
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Any of the name brands are fine.

Get a bunch with the same number of times being fired sized and trimmed.
    Then weigh them out looking for ones that are super close to being the same.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Lapua for the best QC but reality is for sub-sonic 308 cartridge anything will work well. Once you get to the point that you can shoot sub 1/2" MOA five shot groups you might start seeing a difference.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Doesn't matter, for that light of loadings. Weigh the brass and get all of them to weigh the exact same. After first firing how well you clean them will keep them weighing the same and have the same volume. I have had good luck with Remington and StarLine, all heavy loads 1200fps or more.
    Lupa - when and if you can see a difference ? ? I make sure everything weights the same for all loaded cartages.
    Last edited by BLAHUT; 10-06-2022 at 10:18 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    If I was going down that road, I would start with good bullets and decent brass. That means jacketed bullets. If you cannot get jacketed bullets to meet your accuracy criteria, you will waste a ton of resources.

Most accurate is not a specific goal...pick something. 1 MOA is likely "good enough" for a round that will not be used past 200 yards. And I mean the average of ten 5 shot groups.

I would start with new or once fired brass of the same headstamp and preferably of the same lot. I bought Norma brass for my testing and I have not used it so cannot say it was worth it. I have a 1.25 MOA hunting load with LC brass so lost interest in wasting any more time. Deer are not small targets.

I know suggesting starting with jacketed bullets is blasphemy on this site, but IMO they are a waste of time if you want accuracy and good terminal performance at ranges from short to long.

If you meet your goals with jacketed, at least you know the rifle is capable. Then the real work will start.
    Last edited by dverna; 10-07-2022 at 03:49 PM.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Just my experience....always check the bullets run-out after loading the cartridge. About .003" or less seems to be a good standard for seeking tight groups.

I have found in my shooting of rifles for varmint hunting and long-range accuracy, that low bullet run-out is one of the most important things to getting small groups...it is often overlooked.

Starting a bullet straight down the bore, it tends to go straighter out the barrel.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Great info. Thank you guys.

BNE
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master

I tend to use Lake-City or LC as it has become known. Just try to get the same lot if you can, I would expect under MOA even out to 1000yards.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    If you are looking to shoot subsonic, there are a lot of variables to deal with before the brand of your brass. If you already have some brass, start with what you have. Spend your money on different powders and boolit molds first.
    I’d say Lapua is one of the best brass manufacturers today.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    Just my experience....always check the bullets run-out after loading the cartridge. About .003" or less seems to be a good standard for seeking tight groups.

I have found in my shooting of rifles for varmint hunting and long-range accuracy, that low bullet run-out is one of the most important things to getting small groups...it is often overlooked.

Starting a bullet straight down the bore, it tends to go straighter out the barrel.
    Measuring run-out on cast boolits is harder than you think, more of a guesstimate. Still critical for good shooting results.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master

I did not see it mentioned , so..deburring brass inside and length trimming can vary weight by a few grains. You will want to do this before weighing to load. I will be eagerly waiting for your results. I'd like to go this route with 30-06 when time permits.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    Measuring run-out on cast boolits is harder than you think, more of a guesstimate. Still critical for good shooting results.

Slim
    Agreed with the checking the run-out on cast boolits.

I saw that BNE mentioned some jacketed bullets...I should have specified j-words bullets....oops!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Grand Master
    I would use either Lapua or Starline (which is what I use). Match prep them and go for it

Boolit Grand Master

Lapua gets my vote
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

Nosler sells some very nice match grade brass.

Boolit Master

I would suggest the small primer Starline. I particularly like it because I don't have to worry about shoulder setback with mild loads. I have a couple hundred but am anxious to for them to become available again. Borrowed from Ben here I also recommend trying about 8 grains of International Clays. I have a mold which drops a 185 grain gas-checked bullet for my Remington 308's with their long freebore and have gotten to about 1/2" at 50 yards for 5 shots. I haven't had opportunity to work with it further. I didn't chronograph my load but suspect it to be slightly super-sonic. You may have to drop the charge a bit with your 200 grain bullet or maybe not. I consider the International Clays to be a slightly slow version of Red Dot powder.
    Good Luck with your project,
    Rick