Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Lee Precision

Thread: Status on Dave Mattesons Gas Check Maker Hurrican Ian

Status on Dave Mattesons Gas Check Maker Hurrican Ian

Any one hear if Dave Matteson is OK and operating?

I heard he lives on Pine Island, FL which pretty much took a direct hit.

I am on a pretty friendly standing with him and his wife, Kim.
    Yes, they live on Matlacha, a barrier of Pine Island. They chose to ride it out. Most of their side of the island was devastated, their house remained intact, though they are without water and electric. Also, they are full of mud.
    They were given a small generator, and a small boat, so they could come and go from island as the bridge was out.
    They have had some looter contact, but they are OK and holding their own.
    I have not had the heart, to ask about his machinery. I do not know if the water level reached vitals, but saltwater and mud does not bode well. Plus they are still without electric.
    If I go to my mothers property, in Englewood ( her home was completely destroyed ) I plan to go to pine, to see them.
    Last edited by Krh1326; 10-11-2022 at 08:46 AM.
    Just because it’s a bad idea…
    …. Doesn’t mean it won’t be a good time !

Oh wow. Is he still taking orders and shipping?

I did not have the heart to ask that. They’ve been hit pretty bad. I don’t even know how he could possibly even ship anything, as their bridge was destroyed, and can only leave and return by boat. I did see a report that repairs were underway to bridge.

Moderator Emeritus

Which part of the island is he at? My place that I sold before my divorce was down in St James City off of 8th. Curious how bad they got hit. Terrible shame as folks there are really nice.

Just wondered cause his add is still up for gas check dies on eBay and a friend wanted me to check here. He was considering placing an order but doesn't look like he's going to be running any time soon.

They might not even be able to access the internet…. Idk.
    Even just texting with them has been sketchy, for me.
    Your friend could always use the ask seller a question, feature… see if they get a response. If they don’t respond, I hope they would understand why.

I did not want to post any further information, without Dave and Kim’s permission. I spoke with Kim, early this morning, and was asked to relay their “thank you’s “.

Kim was hospitalized for serious infections, from the multiple lacerations , contusions and abrasions that they suffered, during the hurricane impact. She was in danger of going septic.

Several of their friends and neighbors are still missing, and presumed dead, as cadaver dogs are still searching what is left of his neighborhood. Most of the homes around him were destroyed, and several were washed back into the water.
    Their home and contents, tho intact, are basically destroyed. The structural and water damage will take several months to repair.

Dave’s machine shed/ shop was destroyed, but they are optimistic that he might be able to get some machinery running within a month.

This is all of the info, that I am going to post, at this time… with respect for their wishes, and privacy. Dave is a member of this forum, and they are grateful for your concern.

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the update. Been to that area plenty of times going from my spot on Pine Island to mainland. Was a beautiful area with lots of arts and craft places. What a shame. Prayers sent for a full recovery of health and personal stuff.

Dave is hoping to have his shop online, within next 3 weeks or so. He has been working non stop on it, and his home, as well.

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    I dont do ebay, but im in the market for a 30 cal and .358, does he do buisness here? Id like to help them out.

Boolit Master
    any updates?

Dave is up and running. Still repairing shop, and home, but under control. I had ordered three plainbase checkmakers , two days before Ian hit. I received them and they are awesome. He set them to run beer/soda cans…. In 9mm/38&357, in .40 SW and .45 acp. They are just as awesome as the regular gas check makers, of his, that I currently use.

I will ask his permission to post his email.

I did just talk to Dave , and they are taking orders, and they do appreciate the business.

Email: mattesonmachineshop@gmail
    Web: https://www.mattesonsmachineshop.com/

His are single stroke style. I have and use, .22 , .30 , 9mm/.38/.357 , .35 & .44m in regular checks and now have added 9mm/.38/.357 , .40 SW & .45 acp in plainbase that uses soda/ beer cans.