Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: combating sales calls

Boolit Master

combating sales calls

I came up with a new line that has been very effective in getting unsolicited sales callers to hang up real quick and hopefully wipe my phone number from their list.

fortunately there is caller id and if it is a number or person I dont know I answer the phone. but being a bit of a joker that I am and usually just answering the phone when it rings its very annoying getting lots of harassing calls for donations and discounted home repairs and whatnot. here is the line I came up with that has been working great.

"computer repair solutions, please enter your ten digit code number and I'll connect you to get all your computer problems resolved."

this has been very effective so far.

you can always replace the word "computer" to something else like "credit" or "real estate" or whatever. you want.

if they ask questions I just say "this is a connection service, enter your ten digit code now"

if someone ever starts punching in digits, I'll just tell them that it is the wrong ten digit code. but it hasn't come to this yet they all have just hung up.

In the old days, if I wasn't busy, I'd string them along to waste their time.
    Or start off on a screaming fit. I figured it was for their own good.
    If everybody did that, nobody would take those jobs, and the fewer people that did would get paid more.

All I seem to get now are recordings and it's hard to have any fun with them.

I ran into a guy one time that looked like someone had just killed his dog.
    After talking to him a minute, he said he had finished his first day at a call center where they got a commission on their sales.
    He said he'd had 482 rejections in a row. He'd worked all day for nothing.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

I don't answer if I don't recognize the number. If it's important they'll leave a message.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    My wife, who is a hospice nurse, received a sales call on her work phone while she was doing on call triage. She answered with her standard "this is......hospice service, how may I direct your call?".....the caller went directly into his spiel, and my wife responded by repeating her initial greeting, adding "unless someone is dead or dieing, I need you to clear this line for anyone who is!" My daughter and her husband, who were visiting from Georgia, saw and heard her answer, and were laughing so hard they almost fell out of their seats! Never get between a medical professional and their job!
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    We finally got rid of our fixed phone line, because those were the only kind of calls we were getting on it.

Boolit Master
    i would play along with these people letting them think they were making a big sale? I would pressure them repeatedly, that this needed to be completed by Friday, after saying this a few times, they would ask why? I told them it needed to be complete by Friday, YA, YA, no problem, WHY ? I am filling for bankruptcy on Mondays. click - amassing how fast they hung up.

Moderator Emeritus

Answer with the last four digits of the phone number. When they start talking ask which account is overdue.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I really despise those callers. I have gotten up to 6 before noon, and get an average of 5 per day. They've called as early as 6:30 a.m. and as late as 8 p.m. I've got a landline and 3 receivers throughout the house. Caller I.D. shows who is calling, but their tactics seem to change and evolve. Sometimes it shows "not provided" for a name and number. Sometimes it says, "cell phone" and does display the number. Alternatively, it will show the name of a city and the number. Some of those I answer because I know someone in that city and don't have their phone number memorized. I've tried hanging up and immediately calling back and it will always have the "this number has been disconnected" recording. If I don't have the time to mess with their heads and waste their time I just click "talk" immediately followed by "off". I've answered so many of them intending to give them a piece of my mind, but there's no one there. I've been on the Federal "No Call List" forever, and it does no good at all. It's been said before, but I think there must be a special place in hell for telemarketers. I've explained to those I know who might have a legitimate reason to phone me that if they get the "on-off" treatment to call right back (redial) and that seems to work. I believe that most folks must have their answering machines set for 4 rings as if I don't answer at all the calls almost always stop after 4 rings.

DG

Oh yeah, now that you've got me really wound up-- I've got a cell phone also, but it spends 98% of its life turned off and in my desk drawer. I've only got it for the rare trip to town in case I had to call AAA for a tow or tire change. On the rare occasion when I've turned it on I always get a message like "You've got 68 messages." Every one will be a sales pitch.

I simply don't answer calls from numbers I don't recognize. If it's important then they'll leave a message. If it's not important enough to leave a message then I've no doubt I didn't want to take that call anyway.

Moderator Emeritus

"FBI field office, how can we help?" then in a whispered voice close to the phone "did you get the trace data? Yes I know it is computer, do the hops to the source..."

*click*

Boolit Master

My answering system screens calls don't do what it asks I never even see it.

If its a female, I ask them a somewhat less-than gentlemanly question. Hello? Hello?

Boolit Master
    My Granddaughter set my phone so it don't ring unless the number is in my contact list. No I do
    not know how I leave the how up to my kids and grand kids.
    Frank G.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    When you answer the phone you validate that your number works and they will sell it.

I always let calls go to voicemail. I can then screen the messages for legitimate calls or block the number.

Voicemail answer uses only the generic system greeting. Nothing which identifies me.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Used to waste their time, now I just ignore them. The oil exploration guys are relentless.

Boolit Master
    I saw this, a knock at the door so to speak. I'm not holding my breath.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...7c94cec0305689
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

On the rare occasion when I've turned it on I always get a message like "You've got 68 messages
    DG,

Let your inbox fill up then they can't leave a message and will get a message that it is full. We tried to get Verizon to shut off my wifes voice message service but they said they couldn't, so her message is "Don't leave a message. I don't check for them." It now full. Problem solved.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Galena Guru

If you never setup your voicemail on the cell phone it wont be able to leave a message , I love the FBI field office line , a good one ..

There's been a few times where I would answer to people I know and don't with :

Charlene's Chicken Ranch , this is Rooster and throw whatever comes to mind after that
    Schamankungulo

Matt. 5:14-16

GMCS USN ret.

Boolit Grand Master
    I need voicemail so disabling it is not an option. We only have cell service available and it can be sporadic.

If I get a call when the cell is working I normally end the call...easy. If I am frisky, I pick it up. If a computer answers I hang up. If it is a person, I try to get off the call list unless I have nothing better to do. Then I play the game. I have had my fiancé in stitches.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    About twice a year I get a call wanting to sell me a fuel additive that'll cut my fuel costs by 25%. They always represent themselves with a company name that sounds like a trucking company (interstate distribution, all American carriers, etc.
    One time, I said I'm not interested. He responded with "Tom, do you still use diesel?" I said no, I've converted to methane. He inquired how that works. I told him I have an ergonomic nozzle built into my seat and eat a high fiber diet. Silence for a few seconds, then "Why are you bsing me?" I said "You're bsing me, so I bs you." Click.
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast