WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Shot string video

Boolit Grand Master

Shot string video

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Outstanding video! Confirmed what I knew and opened my eyes on some new stuff. My testing was always with a pond and nervously shooting through my old Pact. Thank you so much! Modern technology can't always be cussed by us old dudes.
    Roy
    Shoot often, Shoot well.

Boolit Grand Master

I did enjoy watching this ! Interesting the varriences that occur.
    When you get 10 shot strings with each choke and shot size and shot material and velocity and powder and wad......
    But do take time to go fishing off and on.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master
    There is a good book written by Dr. AC Jones for people interested in shotgun performance. I refer to it a lot for "busting myths." The book is Sporting Shotgun Performance - Measurement, Analysis and Optimization.

I purchased the book when I was competing in Trap.

There is a chapter on shotstrings (Chapter 9). If you are interested in the subject, but cannot justify the expense of Dr Jones' book (currently $55 on Amazon) you will gain a better understanding of the subject by trying to find the following:

An article written by Lowry in the American Rifleman (about 1979?) (back when it was not a useless gun rag). The work by Burrard is also useful. In fact, Lowry concluded Burrard was correct and that shotstringing was not significant for normal sporting shots.

Other contributors to the science are Griffith, and to a lesser extent Brister.

I will leave you with an observation from Burrard...."These effects (shotstringing) are purposely exaggerated by interested parties, who hope to persuade the sportsman to buy their particular wares".

You will go down a useless rabbit hole spending much time on this subject. The people who earn their living shooting shotguns ignore the subject completely.
    Don Verna

I was going to mention the video, but M-TEC beat me to it

Just think of the possibilities for us slug shooting fanatics with a slow-mo setup like the one in the video!

It would have been interesting to see the difference in shot column length over the first few feet, using cylinder/full choke,
    as it would prove (or disprove) my theory on how chokes work by speeding up/slowing down the individual pellets.
    Maybe we'll get to see it in another chapter. (or maybe I missed it while zapping past the guy's endless yakking)
    Cap'n Morgan

Since I've been shooting Skeet lately (Shot a 19 and a 18 yesterday!) So I am progressing thanks guys.

My interest in this subject is when I see the difference of how targets break and wonder which section of the shot string actually hit the bird? I have broke High 8 birds with my .410 that were atomized/dusted at maybe 10-15 feet overhead. Have yet to break any like that with my 12 ga. It seems like the pattern is not as dense despite being twice as much shot in the air. At that distance the shot string can't be any longer than a foot or so.

I can only assume that when this occurs that I have hit the bird dead center with the center of the pattern. Then when I hit a crossing shot and split the target in half I figure that only one pellet hit the target so maybe I led it too much and the target flew thru the pattern at the end of the shot string? My biggest problem on those center stations is liftin my head ever so slightly on the high house birds. I don't seem to do it on the low house birds. Someone suggested that on the left to right birds I pull the gun away from my cheek while trying to make lead? doesn't happen going the other way..

Shot the 12 ga. yesterday for practice and will be shooting my .410 on Sunday for Scores. I can't really shoot the 12ga. for 4 rounds yet, but I can shoot the .410 that much. For me its about "gun lifts." and an 8lb 10 oz gun, as opposed to a 7 lb gun..

This was an interesting video but I already knew that there was some shot that didn't get there as quickly as others. Since we are talking milliseconds, and I'm off by feet, not inches on my misses, I'll just forget about this, as it can't really do anything to improve my scores.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I shot skeet with someone who was shooting a 410. I noticed the wads didn’t go far and now I’m wondering if the 410 has the advantage on the skeet field, especially on station 8.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master

Wow. Great video. Shot string is way longer than I thought it would be.

Believe me the size of the gun doesn't make One Iota of difference. If you're on, you're on,, If you're not the extra shot doesn't help. Most of the guys at my club either shoot 20's or 28's. Some of us shoot .410's and bigger guns. Scores are not contingent on shot load . I shoot my .410 better than my 12 ga.! Shot a 18 and a 19 yesterday with the 12 ga. will see how I do with the .410 on Sunday?

The longest shot on the field is about 25 yards if you wait too long to shoot it. Otherwise 21 yds. is it, and any gun can make that shot.
    If you actually make the shot, there is sufficient pellets in any size pattern to break the birds.

Dedicated Skeet guns used to come in 4 barrel sets. 12,20, 28, .410 all choked "Skeet" which is .005 constriction. Now there are tube sets to change your gun to sub gauges so the gun handles the same way with every gauge. One of our guys just got a new Kreighoff K20 20 ga., He chose to get Briley Tubes in 28 and .410 to go with it instead of buying the Two other barrel sets for $3K each!. I just watched him shoot a 23 with the .410 tubes a week ago. He's better than me!

For me the main advantage of the .410 is that I can get 800 rounds out of a 25 lb. bag of #9 shot! Not quite 400 in 12 ga. So it's cheaper to shoot. Plus that I really like my Browning Citori Sporting Clays Edition in .410 with 32" barrels.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 19202.JPG  
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 10-25-2022 at 04:00 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

I haven't been serious about skeet for a long time. This is from 2009. It's the long run streak records separated by gauge.

Long Runs as of 2009:

12 Mike Schmidt 2532
    20 Robert Paxton 2173
    28 Stuart Fairbank 1718
    410 Wayne Mayes 777
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I don’t hunt birds much anymore but used to shoot mourning dove and whitewings during the fall season with a Stevens bolt action .410 in full choke. Lots of guys laughed at me when they saw my setup but I always came back with plenty of dead ones. However, I knew the gun and its limitations so didn’t take questionable shots. It was pleasant to shoot and never hurt my shoulder. Repeat shots were slow but I got used to it. You gotta dance with who brung you…

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I haven't been serious about skeet for a long time. This is from 2009. It's the long run streak records separated by gauge.

Long Runs as of 2009:

12 Mike Schmidt 2532
    20 Robert Paxton 2173
    28 Stuart Fairbank 1718
    410 Wayne Mayes 777
    Do not confuse facts with reality.

I have heard a lot of skeet shooters say they score better with the smaller gauges. I asked a few why not load 3/4 oz loads in those cheap 12 ga hulls instead of using 28 ga hulls that are three times the price....deer in the headlight looks. IMO the smaller framed guns swing better for many folks so scores are a bit better.

Makes no sense that a lighter payload will make better hits than a heavier one, assuming the pattern is good and the bird is centered. But many people never pattern their gun/loads. Wads will make a difference.
    Don Verna

Boolit Mold
    Wads make all the difference in the world especially with small gauges. BP makes a "stump" wad that is basically an hourglass shaped double cup for the .410 that works wonderfully well with #10 shot. When you center a high house #8 target you get an ink blot in the sky.