Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Lee Cruise Missile 6.5mm - info

Boolit Master

Lee Cruise Missile 6.5mm - info

As much negativity as we dish out concerning the Lee Cruise Missile its not all bad. The Cruise Missile is capable of decent accuracy at 50 yds in the 1,500 fps range. Below are two targets, one shot with the 140 gr Lyman and the other with the Lee Cruise Missile. They appear to be almost a mirror image of each other. Same shooter, same rifle only a few minutes apart. If you want to experiment this is the place you start.

Gardner still lists the Cruise Missile and you can get 250 pcs for $30 plus shipping. He has limits so you need to read the terms. I bought 500 years ago and I'll probably never finish them all off but I'll try.

Gardner's mold is one of the single cavity from the first batch made. The Midsouth 2 cav molds are useless for 6.5x55, IMO. If you ask Gardner he may sell you un-ized and un-lubed Cruise Missile so you could size larger to experiment with various 6.5mm rifles. I've done business with Gardner for over 20 years and have purchased many cast bullets from him as well I've met him in person at Valparaiso, Indiana gunshows.

http://gardnerscache.com/6_5mm_170_fp_g_c.html

6.5x55 140 gr Loverin Lyman 266469 .266" 10.5 grs Unique

6.5x55 170 gr Lee Cruise Missile .267" 13.8grs 2400

Boolit Master
    Good to see some reasonable results from it. I've a 2 cav mold which I've not yet tried, got it quite some time ago.

Boolit Master
    Nice shooting Dutchman. Your load developments are much appreciated. I've been wanting to try the Lyman #266469 for quite a while now, but that mold is sold out everywhere. I'll have to wait until it comes back in stock. The cruise missile never sparked my interest, but glad to see you're getting good results with it. I'm liking the 6.5x55 with cast bullets so much that I've already started building a second rifle in that caliber. (a sporter based on a 1895 Chilean action)

Boolit Master

I may have to pull some of the Swede 6.5's out of the back of the safe this winter and give it a try. I bought the Lee 6.5 Cruise Missile mold a few years ago not for the 6.5 Swedes (Too many bad comments on it); rather I bought it as a "CORE MOLD" for swaging cores for heavy .308's made from 5/16 copper tubing.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    Nice shooting Dutchman. Your load developments are much appreciated. I've been wanting to try the Lyman #266469 for quite a while now, but that mold is sold out everywhere. I'll have to wait until it comes back in stock. The cruise missile never sparked my interest, but glad to see you're getting good results with it. I'm liking the 6.5x55 with cast bullets so much that I've already started building a second rifle in that caliber. (a sporter based on a 1895 Chilean action)
    Modern Lyman versions of 266469 drop at .266". Same as with 266673. I came across an IDEAL mold 266469 and it drops at .269/.270". I size to .268" but have not test fired them yet. I shot 5 into 1 hole with 266673 at 50 yds. And it never did touch the rifling when I was gauging seating depth to touch.

Dutch

Boolit Master
    I'm shooting a sporterized M38 Turk Mauser with a modern 6.5mm barrel that's chambered with a PTG reamer, so molds that cast .266" are just what I need. With the fast twist rate, loads that work good in military Swede's will work best for me too. I've already started working on the small ring '95 that's also going to be a 6.5x55. My thinking is that the 98 Mauser will be for the range and the '95 Mauser will be good for hunting.