RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: New $50 Craftsman Mower And Mulching Blades

Boolit Grand Master

New $50 Craftsman Mower And Mulching Blades

Got the new $50 Craftsman DLT 3000 bought at a yardsale up and running. Couple of belts, two new front tires, deck spindle and an oil change. She is mowing fine. This mower has two mulching blades on it. I took them off, wire brushed them and then sharpened them. Balanced on a screwdriver to make them sit right but my question is for regular mowing of the yard. They are heavy and I"m wondering if they are even needed? Never used them before
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    They are heavy and I"m wondering if they are even needed?
    It would depend on the grass where you live. Is it heavy growth or kind of thin? Do you rake up the grass after mowing? Mulching blades chop up the cut grass so that it can fall down around the roots and help feed the remaining grass. If you have to rake up the mowed grass, mulching makes smaller pieces and therefor more difficult to rake up.

Custom Cast Boolits Google Search

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Master
    you very fortunate. ive yet to find anyone selling a mower that could be put back to use for cheap. In desperate need of a mower I got a package deal on a cub cadet from the 90's that's been jury rigged a bit and a walk behind swisher string trimmer that's been uh, let say. rigged a bunch. to complicate the issue more and add additional expense the cub cadet uses a belt that is supposed to be 107.8" long, well, that one costs about $90. being the penny pinching old cuss that I am I got a $37 belt that is 108" long.
    just got it yesterday and will see if I can make this old mower cut again. the other machine needs all new intake and throttle control parts. the idiot that had it previous put a new carburetor on it is what it looks like but failed to change the fuel line. then used 1/4" self tapping sheet metal bolts to replace all the fasteners that hold on the air cleaner box with primer and all the throttle linkage parts. I got it running but these bolts that hold the primer/air filter box are stripped out of the holes in the carburetor. so it won't prime without a shot of carb cleaner into the carb. I got to find a donor engine for parts or spend a small fortune on new parts. it makes me crazy to see repairs done to stuff that isn't right. its like trying to replace a gun screw with a sheet metal screw

Boolit Grand Master

farmbif, what mower did you get and what engine? Im going to get rid of the 2166 Cub. New electric clutch, new starter, 2 carbs etc

Boolit Grand Master

Dupe post
    Last edited by jonp; 10-08-2022 at 03:18 PM.