Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45 ACP casting/loading question

45 ACP casting/loading question

Currently as I start back up I just loaded 100 rounds for 45 colt.
    255 g Lee boolet over 4.8g of Trail boss. (this has been load for years now)
    the recommend 4.3 to 5.5 grain for 621-769 fps

Now for 45 ACP with a 200g Lee cast boolet

I could use trail boss, I have enough in stock for around 800 rounds. (but this is my 45 colt load)
    I also have enough Clays for 1750 45 acp rounds.
    I have an unlimited supply of Winchester 572 Ball because that is my shotgun power for 20/28 gauge (and is available at times).

but first real life problems: Primers

I currently have 700 large pistol and 1000 large pistol magnum (which I bought by accident).
    I would like to save the 700 for 45 Colt loads and maybe start with the Magnums in the 45acp.

clay's calls for 3.6g to 4.3g for 759 to 888 fps
    Winchester 572 calls for 6.4g to 7.2g for 897 to 1,018fps (this winchester even in 45 colt seems fast speeds)

If I want to use my magnum primers, where would you start? should i maybe save this clays for when the trailboss runs out and use 572 for the 45acp from the start?

Boolit Master
    Is there any reason that you can not start with the suggested starting load for the 45 ACP?

Boolit Master
    I have the same problem in that I have lots of magnum primers and very few standard. I just load 45 acp using the starting loads in the manual and use the magnum primers. They shoot great.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Dusty, I have no problems starting with the starting loads. I was just asking about using Magnum primers because that is what I have the most of.
    I also threw the 3 powder choices in there because someone might say "I had good luck with 572" or something like that.

Boolit Master
    Magnum LP are fine as long as you're not with max loads. Specifically, Your clays loads are fine; they are target loads, not max. 3.8 Clays is popular in match shooting.

I've even used LR ( yes harder cup, slightly taller) with target loads, 50 fps increase there

shhhhh, I got 2000 Large Rifle

Boolit Master
    Reloaders who use Winchester Large Pistol Primers in .45 ACP are, in effect, using magnum pistol primers. Those things are used to light up magnum pistol propellants like W296, so they're serious magnum primers, but are also recommended for use in non-magnum applications.
    I'D say you'd be just fine using the mag pistol primers in either cartridge, with any propellant.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Clays is my go to powder for 45 ACP. 4.0 grains works great in all 45s that I have used it in.

3.6 with a magnum primer should work just fine.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Quote Originally Posted by BNE View Post
    Clays is my go to powder for 45 ACP. 4.0 grains works great in all 45s that I have used it in.

Me too also i load 185gr at 4.2 work real well

I never tested the theory:
    It used to be the common knowledge that you'd need to back off 1/2 a grain for mag. pistol primers in standard loads.
    That would more or less get you back to the listed speeds listed for standard primers.

Cast boolits are pretty forgiving as far as over pressures go.
    I'd start with the minimum charge listed, and go from there. I doubt you'll shoot your eye out kid.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    In .45 ACP I use WSPM and WLP with a 200gr SWC with the same powder charge I get almost the same chrono results, the WSPM always has a lower ES reading.

Using Magnum primers is like any other component change, use the suggested starting load and work up.

Moderator Emeritus

One thing...
    I assume you are shooting them in a semi-auto?
    I might start a wee bit below the starting load.
    Because, when starting with starting load with Mag primer, I'd load a few just to see how the gun reacts, it will likely not be noticeable, but just in case, watch for the slide slamming and launching the spent brass into another zip code.
    I had this when working up a load in 38 super (1911), and I was no where near max load.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I would use the mag primers. Just start at min load. Like above, I have found Win LRP and LPP to act like mag primers.

If you don't have a chronograph, and the rounds cycle the action, I'd stop right there. Win572 has a burn rate right at Blue Dot and AA#7. Those are my two favorite powders for max loads in the .45acp. With a chrono I'd increase the charge until I got about 50fps under the book max vel.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BNE View Post

I agree, Clays is an excellent powder in the ACP case. The only time mag primers caused an issue is near the top end slaming the slide back harder than I wanted. 3.6/3.8 should be fine. 4.0 with regular primers is a good load for me.
    Tony

Boolit Master

using a mag primer.. work up.. that being said.. I have virtually NEVER found a starting load for an autoloader that worked GOOD.

IE.. loading for semi auto pistoils.. I almost NEVER start at minimum.. I usually start dead in the middle.. that's just me.. I'm not recommending others do that, using mag primers, I would likely start at more like 35-40% of max ... vs starting... starting acp loads and strong springs generally always yield fails to feed.. failure to extract.. stovepiping.. etc..

Boolit Buddy
    JonB, could you describe how this works, and what exacerbates it, a little bit more? I had the brass-to-next-week problem with some light-for-caliber 9mm loads using Titegroup.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by openbook View Post
    JonB, could you describe how this works, and what exacerbates it, a little bit more? I had the brass-to-next-week problem with some light-for-caliber 9mm loads using Titegroup.
    you got two choices, reduce the load or swap springs.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    I'll let you in on a secret. Magnum primers are not much different from regular. The difference is they add powdered aluminum (or a similar metal) to raise the temperature of the flame. This is to help ignite slower burning powders used in magnum and rifle loads. It is not more "explosive", just higher temperature. I learned this from remaking my own primers. You would do just fine by starting out maybe 0.2 grain less in your .45 and go from there. Chances are you won't notice the difference.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    you got two choices, reduce the load or swap springs.
    That's so weird, I was using the minimum load from Lyman's 4th. Lee 356-102-1R (102 grains), with 4.2 gr Titegroup. So, yes, at 102 gr it's a light-for-caliber bullet...but what surprised me was it was the starting load. Not sure how much below the "minimum" load it's ok to go.

thanks everyone. The mold and dies will be here tomorrow, but I think the boolets need to rest before going through the luber/sizer so maybe I should not cast on Saturday shoot on Sunday so we will see in a week or 2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast