Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: reloading 45 ACP 200 gn Wadcutter HELP

Boolit Mold
    Thanks to everyone for their input, I truly appreciate it!

The thumbnail method works for me (with the 105gr swc in the 9mm as well.)
    I've mostly used 5 grs of Bullseye with the 200gr swc in the .45 but I'm not a competitor.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Shopdog View Post
    This post may get long....

We have a wonderful machine shop,very blessed. Have made a truckload of handloading and cast tools N whatnots. Also have a bunch of 1911's.

Yes,you can find.... and exceed "jam" length on a SWC 1911,to very good effect. I was making up a new top punch a few years ago for some new to me mould? Can't remember which one? Anyway in that process I was trying to get a precision fit between this new TP and the sizing die(Lyman 450 luber). The very bttm of this TP came to an almost knife edge,right where it interfaces with the bullet's WC shoulder. At first it looked like an "oops",went a little too far on that one.... backing up,the goal was a TP that did not touch the bullet nose but worked entirely on the shoulder.

But what the hey,I tried it anyway knowing it could always be made shorter. Sure enough,once it was all adjusted this TP put a very repeatable V cut right at the juncture of nose to shoulder. Little(lot) more involved but hopefully you get the picture...

Working with a beautiful,highly smithed 1911 Commander that thinks itself a BE rig...... I kept adding OAL until it just wasn't going into battery. Think of this as "jam",or "touch"...plus. Pretty much the same as a rifle. Once I got the OAL set to juuuust short of tying it up, is when it became apparent. The problem/s with jam and a 1911 is,or are many... gets complex. But because of the V,there is a collapse/crush so to speak on the chamber's leade when going into battery. Here's where your guns springing comes into play..... doh.

This "ain't" obviously for SD ammo,or anything like that. It's about cranking out loads for obliterating X's.. impress your buddy's,take their lunch money stuff. So yes,you can find and use "jam" on a SWC 1911.... good luck with your project.
    Thank you, I appreciate the info

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    The thumbnail method works for me (with the 105gr swc in the 9mm as well.)
    I've mostly used 5 grs of Bullseye with the 200gr swc in the .45 but I'm not a competitor.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    I’m gonna give it a try

Quote Originally Posted by jscanga View Post

Bullseye is the only powder I could find, gonna start about 4.0

Thanks for the info

Most accurate .45ACP load I have found to date is 4.2 Bullseye with a 200 grain SWC bullet.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

My series 70 Gold Cup loves 4.5 of Bullseye behind a 200 swc from a 65 year old Lyman 452460.

Folks have been handloading 200 grain target loads in the 1911 pistol for well over 100 years and there are no secrets nor codes to break. The 1911 pistol is very easy to load for. You could have one or several problems, but not enough info to narrow it down. Could be the pistol barrel, the springs, the magazine or any number of issues with the load. The problem should be an easy fix, but first we have to know what the problem is.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

45 acp accuracy

If shooting Bullseye/Precision pistol with a 45acp, the Lyman 200 gr bevel base is the most accurate for me of the home cast bullets. Bullseye powder is 3.8 grs for 50 yards. For 25 timed & rapid, as low as 3.5 grs may work the action. Lighter spring may be needed?

I use Starline brass. It will get shorter, the more its fired, loaded. Never trimmed using target loads. The WLP works as the primer.
    The photo/measurement above is touching the rifling. Ok for slow fire, as it improves accuracy @50 yards. Not for timed or rapid.

If casting your own, harder alloys are more accurate & feed better. Diameter .452" lswc.

The High Masters may be using jacketed bullets or factory target ammo, in the 700 to 790 fps range.

From a rest @ 50 yards, groups should be 3" or smaller, to hold the 10 ring.
    https://www.bullseyeforum.net/

Headspace depends on barrels chamber. Some are short like my Cold Cup Series 70, others can be longer. Maximum length brass is most accurare, as are minimum chambers.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20221007-080253_Chrome.jpg  
    Last edited by 243winxb; 10-07-2022 at 08:35 AM.

Boolit Master
    My standard load is a Lee 200 gr SWC that I milled the bevel off and ended up with a 190gr flat base bullet cast in range lead, seated to =/- 1.250 and taper crimped. Backed by 3.1 grs Bullseye and a standard LP primer it functions well in a Springfield Range Officer, using a 10# recoil spring and a 19# hammer spring in a standard mainspring housing, not the key lock style. Past 10K rounds and no functional issues and brass lands 4-5 feet from the gun.

If you tune the pistol Wolff springs has the springs you need. Also check your magazines, the standard mag can sometimes be an issue. There are mags with lip configuration for SWC bullets that release the round sooner in the return cycle to aid feeding.

Boolit Buddy
    The USAMU has done many tests on these issues you mention and it doesn't make much difference at all. They tried bullet seating depths, mixed headstamp brass, different primers, case length and found no difference in accuracy. While it's true that the .45 ACP headspaces on the case mouth, the reality is that it will headspace on the extractor more than anything else. I've been shooting bullseye for 40 years and never trimmed a case. They usually end up short from slamming into the chamber. Besides the mechanical accuracy of the gun you're using, .45 ACP accuracy depends largely on the bullet itself and the powder charge. The .45 is very forgiving to reload, but you do need a decent crimp. That's important. I usually use a .470 to .465 taper crimp.
    Last edited by oldsalt444; 10-08-2022 at 08:35 PM.

Boolit Master

These are seated to chamber freely, flush with the barrel hood. Taper crimp. Bullet is Lee Group buy HG68 clone with flat base. I size .452" for a 1937 Colt Gov't. I load standard level of power not light target loads.

In the 1969 NRA Handloader's Guide is illustrated how to seat .45 acp using ROLL crimp. I did it in my early years of shooting .45 acp circa 1968. Now I use nothing but taper crimp.